• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What should I work on next?

el_torro

Smash Rookie
Hi, I'm new here, and I'm pretty new to the game as well. I've been playing since September.

I need to get better with my Falco because in my apartment we decide who does chores based on smash and I'm sick of losing lol

My roommates use marth so I've watched a lot of videos of the Falco marth matchup, and I've lurked here reading theory posts as well, but tonight it was time to make a change, which is why I'm writing this.

I've learned how to pillar Marth pretty well. I can usually get 2-3 pillars in before they DI too far away. I can short hop laser too. I can wavedash but I don't really know how to implement it in my game.

But my roommates are mostly just c sticking and grabbing and rolling away but I still get ***** most of the time. We always play on FD because it's the only "fair" stage. They don't even know how to chaingrab but I still must be doing something wrong.

My question is, is there something I should learn, like approaching better, that would drastically improve my game? I feel like I have a lot of pieces but I can't seem to put them together.

Flon890

Smash Rookie
If you're going up against Marth, you have to be VERY VERY patient. Falco Marth is a really bad match up, so you have to be cautious when doing anything. What I did to my friend (who also mains Marth) was to go against everything you normally do as Falco, so instead of rushing in and knocking them off the stage. Bait them so you can get an attack in. If you think you can combo it go ahead and try, but as soon as you feel like something is gonna go wrong, run back and get away from him. Rinse and repeat. It worked for me because my friend is a very impatient Marth player, and since he has the match up advantage he just tries to get it over with as quick as he can. Hope this helps.

yttik

Well first, don't let them only take you to FD. It's not the only "fair" stage. Explain the rules of a set to them or something.

Since you can short hop laser then use than to camp (seriously, spam lasers whenever you get the chance) , since you can wavedash, use that with dashdancing to space around his aproach and tipper range. Most of the time you should let Marth come to you, and when he's close enough make sure you're right up in his face so you're too close to get tippered and can get easier combo starters. If they're just csticking and don't understand spacing and whatnot, you should be able to get really good punishes, especially on those slow fsmashes. Basically what Flon890 said, only go for hits when you know you can get a hit, also bait and punish.

Last edited:

KevJames

Smash Apprentice
Falco's huge disadvantage is this matchup is horizontal speed, so you want to avoid stages with that don't take advantage of your insane vertical speed. Final Destination should be avoided, and you should practice working on your tech on smaller stages with platforms such as Yoshi's Island, Battlefield, or even Dreamland.

If you do play on FD, the best way to control his horizontal movement speed is with lasers. Practice your laser game. Dash dance SH laser, Backdash pivot SH laser, Reverse SH laser, etc. Laser's can slow down Marth's movement and ruin his flow. What a lot of new Falco's do is chrage in with Lasers and immediately go aggro. You can laser forward and jab/shine/grab/dash away when he shields. When he puts up his shield, you are in an advantage where you can act any way you want and wait for him to act out of shield. This matchup takes patience on stages like FD, so play very reactionary.

el_torro

Smash Rookie
Hey thanks guys for all the advice. I do tend to be way too agro sometimes and it gets me killed but it's really hard to be patient when you're losing the match.

My second question is, how should I be punishing marths up b -> grab ledge? It's a really dangerous spot for Falco near the ledge but is it better to wave dash ledgehog or just let him get back and try to grab or shine?

Varist

Smash Lord
if they arent sweetspotting perfectly just stand right outside the upb hitbox, wait for the up b and walk forward down smash. if theyre spacing it perfectly and youre low percent you can try CCing it into downsmash. read up on the lightshield edgeguard.

don't bother dashdancing outside tipper range at your level of play youre just going to get dash attacked all of a sudden. practice wavedash out of shield and just spam lasers at them, pay attention to how they're reacting to your laser and find a solution. if roll chase it with dash attack or grab if you get the gut feeling youre late on the punish. if jump guard yourself with utilt or dashdance to force a swing and nair into them, little **** like that will beat low level marth

Top Bottom