• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What should I watch out for when playing against a Luigi

EarthMLG

Smash Cadet
NNID
Earthu
3DS FC
1693-2889-1535
What should I look for when playing against Luigi? I might play Mario or Ivysaur I'm not sure. What are some good stages that would put Luigi at a disadvantage?

supascoot

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SupaScoot
Generally the main thing you want to watch out for when against Luigi is Nair. Try not to be close to Luigi when comboing him. You can try to bait it out against bad Luigi's, but better ones will try to catch you with it anyway. Misfire is something you should keep an eye on as well, as it is guaranteed on the 6th Green Missile. Keep an eye out when he flashes while charging, as that means he has one stored up

Luigi's worst stages are generally ones that disregard his long recovery but I'm finding it hard to point down to a single stage that is bad for him. Its mostly character dependant. The stage I hate most as Luigi is Yoshi's Story, the platforms are great for combos, but it is easy to get choked out of space and have to play a painful ledge game that is easy to get K.O'ed from. Try to just get your character's best stage.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Keep an eye on whether he has a Misfire charged, and try not to roll or do anything laggy when he does.
SDI his jab when you're over 70%, as he may be going for a sweetspot Up-B.
He'll mainly go for Dthrows, but he can't really do anything with it against Mario or Ivysaur. It sends slightly backwards, so either DI forwards then mash out a Nair, or DI back to get some distance. Of course, he might start predicting the Nair, so switch it up with a jump or nothing.
Bthrow is terrible, just DI 45° up-forward and you'll survive if under 200%.
Don't get greedy with punishes, especially if you're at a high percent. Luigi will mash out Nair and completely turn things around.
Most of Luigi's stuff hits vertically, so DI straight horizontal. Be aware of when you're in Fair/Dair threat range, though.
He's easy to edgeguard. When he's far, just challenge any Missiles (even Misfires) with a Bair and you should win. If he's high and close to the stage, wait for him to fall. If he's low and close, grab the ledge when he reaches sweetspot range. Do not forget/underestimate Rising Cyclone; I have saved so many stocks just because my opponent figured I was dead and started their between-stocks routine.
You'll want to take him to a small stage with your characters. WW can be hard for Luigi to effectively move around, but is great for edgecancelling his junk. GHZ's ceiling allows the floaty Luigi to live longer, but he also wants to kill off the top. YS is probably best. Your main ban is FD.

Top Bottom