• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What should I main?

Gabersid

Smash Rookie
Hey, I am new to melee, I actually just bought the game yesterday. I was playing through all the characters and picking out what ones I like and what ones I don't like. I narrowed it down to Falco and Fox. Should I main fox or falco?
If I made a mistake making this thread, sorry. This is my first thread.

LobotomyPop :^)

You fricked up, mister.
It really just depends on how you like playing. Someone who doesn't really care about winning and is just at a tournament for a fun time, I'd say somethin' like Falcon or Ganon. However someone who is really in it for winnings would maybe want to play spacies like Fox and Falco. But still, it all depends on whoever you have fun with.

saladtossfalcon

Smash Rookie
Captain Falcon is a really good character to start with. He helps in learning the mechanics of the game itself and you can move on to other mains from there.

Espi

Smash Journeyman
Sheik is a great character when you start playing. Her moves/followups are really easy to understand at low level and you learn fundamentals. But it's all up to you.

Sutekh

Smash Apprentice
Marth and Captain Falcon are probably the two best characters to learn the fundamentals of the game from, as they both have a good wavedash, a fantastic dash dance, a medium length jumpsquat, and a pretty flowchart combo game off of throws. A lot of the tech you'll be practicing when you first start out is pretty easy to learn on either of those characters. Sheik is an easy character to pick up since most of her aerials auto-cancel, her combo setups are easy to land, and her combo/edgegaurding game is fairly straightforward, but movement isn't as big a part of her game as Marth or Falcon because her dashdance sucks. If you're just interested in Melee and you want to get good as quickly as possible, i'd recommend starting with one of those three, but if you feel a strong pull towards a spacie, by all means play them. You'll be more inclined to play and practice if you're playing a character you really feel like you connect with. Fox and Falco are very different characters though, despite the fact that their moves look similar, so it shouldn't be a coin-flip decision on which one to choose if you decide to go that route.

Edit: Also if you do decide to pick up a Spacie, understand that because they are the most popular characters in competitive play, every actively competitive player knows how to play against them. This shouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker, but just understand that as a beginner Fox or Falco you're going to get booped by anyone who's been attending tournaments for more than a month or two.

Last edited:
Top Bottom