• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What should I focus on in the lab?

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I've learned max ranges on sword techniques and timing on ledge trumping. One of the guys at the tournament I was at recently was spending time practicing his Pikachu's Quick Attack cancels on Battlefield's ledges and perfect-pivoting. He and I are strong rivals, and I don't want him surpassing me. So what should I focus on in the lab that will help my game in the future?

Genome Squirrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkCoffee
how well do you know your matchups?
sometimes the next step is dabbling in other characters; know their ranges, weaknesses, e.c.t.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
You practice your character in the lab, you practice match-ups online and in friendlies.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Buffering, movement, and combos. The rest is just thinking up hypothetical situations in your free time and playing it out if you need to. Many parts of labbing don't even need to be in-game.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Buffering, movement, and combos. The rest is just thinking up hypothetical situations in your free time and playing it out if you need to. Many parts of labbing don't even need to be in-game.
So how does buffering work?

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
So how does buffering work?
Input any action within 10 frames (1/6 second) of your character being able to act and you'll respond with that move. Like if you land with a nair and want to jab, you press A during the landing lag and the jab automatically comes out. You've 99% been doing this all along.

Previous smash games allowed for multiple buffered inputs, so you could buffer a turnaround jab for instance. Smash 4 only buffers your last input, so you can't really do many attacks as easily and simple things take some execution practice (at least for me).

It's good to practice to build up muscle memory and decrease the amount of mistaken inputs. Ike players need to get turnaround jab/dtilt down within a moment's notice and set up for punishes quickly.

Top Bottom