• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What should I be doing while Luma is alive

Mini_Mac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G_Czech
One of my biggest struggles with Rosa at this moment is figuring out how I'm supposed to be using Luma when he is alive.

Right now, when a match begins, my tendency is to always throw Luma at a distance and do jab-cancels as a defense and approach mechanism and be ready for whatever approach option my opponent chooses in case they decide to come towards me. As of now, maybe I am not doing something correctly but I feel like this strategy is kind of dull. It doesn't always work. My main purpose behind this strategy is to maintain good stage control but I seem to be screwing up on something.

Any advice from a Rosalina player or someone who has some experience with her?

EDIT:

Also, if the answer to this question depends on the opponent's playstyle, feel free to explain categorically. For example, a short answer for bait/punish, defense, pressure, and/or reads characters could work but I'll leave it up to you guys.

Last edited:

Mini_Mac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G_Czech
It pretty much depends on your opponent. For some match-ups, you may want to keep the Luma close.
If you have the time, are there any examples where I should keep Luma close that you could explain in terms of MUs and why?

For me, depending on how aggressive my opponent is, I keep Luma near me when I'm fighting :4cloud: because he tends to have a very easy time scrapping him due to his moves that easily outrange Luma's.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
For one thing, Luma Shot can be reflected, so you'd be making a mistake by trying to use that move against someone like Fox.

WolfmanDeerek

Smash Cadet
Against rush down it is better to stay seperate from Luma. It gives you the option to use luma as a decoy. If they bypass luma and launch you, tap b and time a nair or dair as luma returns to Rosalina. In some cases you can time an up air and even end a stock in this manner. There are vids of Dabuzz doing it.

Really, you can learn a ton by watching results of his matches.

When seperate from Luma, remember star bits. It is very good for keeping pressure off of Luma and opening up combos.

Last edited:

Mini_Mac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G_Czech
Against rush down it is better to stay seperate from Luma. It gives you the option to use luma as a decoy. If they bypass luma and launch you, tap b and time a nair or dair as luma returns to Rosalina. In some cases you can time an up air and even end a stock in this manner. There are vids of Dabuzz doing it.

Really, you can learn a ton by watching results of his matches.

When seperate from Luma, remember star bits. It is very good for keeping pressure off of Luma and opening up combos.
Hmm okay. Thanks for the tips!

Top Bottom