• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What should a newbie Lucario player practice?

Solaris_Noid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Koga_Noid
3DS FC
0619-3734-0827
Switch FC
1232-9460-2152
Well I'm not really new. He's been my main since Brawl and I've used him in Project M alot too. I never really got versed enough with him in Brawl to recognize most of his changes to Smash 4 so any advice on tech, general strategies, etc. would be appreciated.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Not using the A combo.
Seriously. Get used to tilts, shorthops, and grabs, dont EVER use the A combo as hes one of the few characters where his A combo actually HELPS your opponent (since they can easily get out of it and hit you while youre stuck doing the rest of the combo, and it really doesnt do much).

He plays the waiting game basically. Best way to use him is to constantly poke/throw your opponent and not really try to kill them until they rack up a ton of damage. Hes an elusive little runt in a smart player's hands, so he can do this well. Ive been having games goto the timer in FG because my opponents just cant finish me off and i couldnt get a killshot opportunity very often.

Hidden Arwing

Smash Apprentice
Basically play smart, and emphasize on not taking damage too much. As it is in all cases with all the characters, try to have low damage percentage as possible. Lucario may be strong at high percentages, but he's double-edged sword. Make the battles drawn out at a low percentage.

And yes, the A-combo is something you wouldn't want to use too much. It's best to practice his recovery and recognize his range since they all vary differently at different percentages.

Some changes I've noticed from Brawl is that his attack range is now shorter. In Brawl, the Hit-Box was huge, and the aura that lingered afterwards in Brawl dealt damage. But now, Lucario needs to have more accuracy with his attacks.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
The AAA "combo" is ok if you know what you're doing. You should seriously practice a little with it. The second hit of it is weird since at a certain point you have the option of going into the third hit or back to the first.

Lucario is really good, but really weird in this game, I'm still researching potential combos and bnbs.

As a Lucario you should master your DI because max Aura in this game appears to be at 190% and fully charged fresh USmash does 42% at that point, lol.

I also recommend reading up on the Aura Damage chart http://smashboards.com/threads/lucarios-aura-damage-chart.372167/ which can mean you are the one winning or losing against certain projectiles.

Practice strings like short hop FAir to NAir (based on the opponent's DI of course).

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
I would become familiar with how far up-B goes and distances your opponent travels after Down throw and upthrow.

木西Galaxy

Smash Rookie
I don't think I am a good smash player as of right now, but it seems like pacing might be good to practice on him! Maybe switch the pacing every once in a while to throw your enemy off balance? Also being able to play defensively and by reaction might help.

Neverbound

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wulfiepaw
Switch FC
5778-4164-2795
I don't think I am a good smash player as of right now, but it seems like pacing might be good to practice on him! Maybe switch the pacing every once in a while to throw your enemy off balance? Also being able to play defensively and by reaction might help.
This is something I need to get used to and not play him like every other character. Chaseing after a opponent is not
always the best idea

Solaris_Noid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Koga_Noid
3DS FC
0619-3734-0827
Switch FC
1232-9460-2152
Thanks for all the advice guys. Still kinda sucking since this is my first Smash game I can play other decent people in and I'm still learning but all that comes with experience. Keep it coming.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
@ Solaris_Noid Solaris_Noid
If you ever find yourself using Double Team for countering moves no matter if they come from behind or in front of you, always always always use the Reverse option instead. In case you don't quite recall what it is & want a recap about what & how to do the RDT option:

Lucario reappears from behind him when using RDT, unlike the regular DT's reappearance which starts in front of Lucario. From the RDT's starting point Lucario reappears at, to almost the entire slide distance is a sliding kick attack, which means Lucario can hit characters from behind with RDT, unlike DT which can only hit characters in front of Lucario.

To perform the Reverse Double Team hold towards the opposite direction that Lucario is facing the moment your DT is activated. So per-say you're looking towards the left, you can immediately hold towards the right for RDT to work. If you're looking towards the right, hold left.

Last edited:

tm730

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4227-1256-0282
learn hwo to hit with that B-Air too....that **** kills at 60% when you're over 100% i think

also for that AAA combo, delay that third hit a little bit, it prevents whiffing almost all the time in my experience

Solaris_Noid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Koga_Noid
3DS FC
0619-3734-0827
Switch FC
1232-9460-2152
@ Solaris_Noid Solaris_Noid
If you ever find yourself using Double Team for countering moves no matter if they come from behind or in front of you, always always always use the Reverse option instead. In case you don't quite recall what it is & want a recap about what & how to do the RDT option:

Lucario reappears from behind him when using RDT, unlike the regular DT's reappearance which starts in front of Lucario. From the RDT's starting point Lucario reappears at, to almost the entire slide distance is a sliding kick attack, which means Lucario can hit characters from behind with RDT, unlike DT which can only hit characters in front of Lucario.

To perform the Reverse Double Team hold towards the opposite direction that Lucario is facing the moment your DT is activated. So per-say you're looking towards the left, you can immediately hold towards the right for RDT to work. If you're looking towards the right, hold left.
Thanks a ton, this was stumping me alot. I figured that was how you did it but he was still going in the opposite direction when it triggered.

Top Bottom