• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What percentage of Smash players are competitive, and what percentage are casual?

Geist

Smash Master
I know for a fact that the majority of gamers are casual.
Not necessarily the steriotypical casual who plays wii sports with their grandparents, but those who play any game for fun. They may have a competitive attitude, but they won't take full advantage and do what it takes to win.
I'd say very roughly rounded, 95% casual, 5% competitive, like said above.

I'm going to go on a tangent for a second:
I have no idea why, but casuals players have developed some disdain from true competitive players... I'm sure that most people have seen what I'm talking about. It's already developed a bit in this thread.
Competitive gamers are accused of taking the fun out of games like smash by some people, which couldn't be farther from the truth. Honestly, some people need to stop steriotypically profiling people just because they play in a different manner than them.

Alot of the blind, biased assumptions that some of you make against competitive gamers still stumps me.

There's no point in being competitive really, because even though it is good to win, you will have more fun if you loosen up, and take a more lighthearted view on the game.

If you play to win, it's more disappointing when you lose.
If you play for fun, it's more exciting when you win.
Perfect example of an unsupported opinion. You have your facts backwards. In a competitive environment, self-suicides and screwups are hilarious. Competitive isn't synonymous with uptight. I find I have much more fun playing competitively than casually. Instead of having a "lighthearted" view of the game, the game becomes deeper and more complex when you take the time to develop techniques, and create your own to overcome and outplay other people.

When I play to win, but end up losing, I don't have a hissy fit. I make it a learning experience. If the person I just faced totally destroyed me, I'll ask for advice, or I'll request some friendly matches later on to make myself better.
Similarily, if you play for fun, it is not more exciting to win. You're saying that winning a game against your buddy is more important than a one-shot do-or-die situation with money on the line? okaaaay, whatever you say....
/rant

in response to the first paragraph: NOTHING is cheap. except for knocking the controller out of your opponents hands :p
Quoted for truth.
Cheap is a word made for people who can't take losing.

infernovia

Smash Ace
The casual take the majority obviously.

Although if you are asking how many people like all items with all stages on defined as casual, now they are definitely going to be the minority. Also, Pokefloat was counterpick in tourneys.

I find competitive rules more fun than casual **** anyway. I only play items on when I feel like I wanna give other people an opportunity of beating me making it a challenge for me to get a victory. I feel like I am giving them an handicap. Its way mroe fun when two people of equal skill fight eachother.

Top Bottom