• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What other retro character could be in the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Duck Hunt Dog would be my ideal retro pick. Iconic NES-era character who is perfect for trolling people.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
About Little Mac, if we are starting to consider him retro, then a lot of the characters are retro! Pit, Mario, Link, Marth, Wario, Sonic, ect...

We should start to consider wich other new character we should add, then :troll:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Yeah Mac is no longer retro. Just like Pit. If we considered him retro, then just about every character on the game is retro.

I think that if we DO see a retro rep, in terms of likelyhood, I'd put them in this order:

- Balloon Fighter (stage, relevance, moveset potential)
- Takamaru (slightly relevant)
- Duck Hunt Dog (for being so iconic, and for being from one of Nintendos most successful games ever).

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
By the way, if I had to pick a retro character, it would be Mach Rider, because it's an original badass considered for Melee, Duck Hunt Dog because of how iconic he is, and Takamaru.
Although I'm quite neutral about the character himself, I'm all for a japanese stage, and the music that comes with it :awesome:

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
About Little Mac, if we are starting to consider him retro, then a lot of the characters are retro! Pit, Mario, Link, Marth, Wario, Sonic, ect...

We should start to consider wich other new character we should add, then :troll:
1.) Pit was retro when Brawl was released and because of brawl he was given a chance with Uprising. I'm curious if you're also under the assumption Ice Climbers are no longer retro because of Brawl being another game they've starred in after their beginning in Melee.

2.) Revamping a game for a newer console or changing character model constitutes them to lose their place as a Retro character? If Little Mac loses his, so does Takamaru thanks to Samurai Warriors 3. He had a revamped game as well as updated model. May not have him in the star role but same qualities between the two.

3) Retro characters are usually labeled under "characters who haven't been featured in a game in multiple generations." This applies to Little Mac because much like Pit, its because of Brawl he was given a chance to be featured in a new game. Granted it was merely a revamp, but he is still retro because he went from SNES to Wii, much like Takamaru and Pit with their own gaps.

Yeah Mac is no longer retro. Just like Pit. If we considered him retro, then just about every character on the game is retro.

I think that if we DO see a retro rep, in terms of likelyhood
So would the same apply to Virtual Console games? They're remade and remodeled enough to play with a newer generation. Mario, Link, etc are not considered retro because they were featured in each generation and thus current. Little Mac, Pit and Takamaru should be considered because they fell on the wayside for multiple generations.

If you still believe LM isn't retro, that's fine but seeing as how retro itself means "reviving the past" or "backward," then yes he does meet the definition of Retro character.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
1.) Pit was retro when Brawl was released and because of brawl he was given a chance with Uprising. I'm curious if you're also under the assumption Ice Climbers are no longer retro because of Brawl being another game they've starred in after their beginning in Melee.

2.) Revamping a game for a newer console or changing character model constitutes them to lose their place as a Retro character? If Little Mac loses his, so does Takamaru thanks to Samurai Warriors 3. He had a revamped game as well as updated model. May not have him in the star role but same qualities between the two.

3) Retro characters are usually labeled under "characters who haven't been featured in a game in multiple generations." This applies to Little Mac because much like Pit, its because of Brawl he was given a chance to be featured in a new game. Granted it was merely a revamp, but he is still retro because he went from SNES to Wii, much like Takamaru and Pit with their own gaps.

So would the same apply to Virtual Console games? They're remade and remodeled enough to play with a newer generation. Mario, Link, etc are not considered retro because they were featured in each generation and thus current. Little Mac, Pit and Takamaru should be considered because they fell on the wayside for multiple generations.

If you still believe LM isn't retro, that's fine but seeing as how retro itself means "reviving the past" or "backward," then yes he does meet the definition of Retro character.
Nah, Virtual Console games are generally rereleases. Kid Icarus and Punch Out were new installments in the series.

Retro for the sake of this game, refers to characters that don't have games made in their series anymore.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Pit was indeed retro in Brawl, like I can consider Ness a retro character of some sort now.

But Pit and Little Mac got new games instalement. Even if they are known for their retro games, and even if it's only one new game, they are not "old character with no new games".

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Pit was indeed retro in Brawl, like I can consider Ness a retro character of some sort now.

But Pit and Little Mac got new games instalement. Even if they are known for their retro games, and even if it's only one new game, they are not "old character with no new games".
Mainly because of their exposure from SSB of course. They're revived characters, much like Brawl made them to be. I will agree there should be a fine line between current retro and former retro because while they do have their respective new games, they're still former retro characters much like some of the people in here were more/less saying about LM. A troll can't say Mario, Link, Pikachu, Sonic, etc are either because they're still ongoing series from each generation to the next, never falling into obscurity.

To me, Little Mac is still retro because he was formally forgotten. Once again, I'll agree with you that they're in a different realm of Retro when compared to DHD, MR, Lip but he still retains his because he was revived thanks to Smash. Isn't that what including a retro character is for after all? (IC are still shafted but still have a shot.)

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I don't think Punch Out Wii have something to do with Smash Bros. In Brawl, Little Mac had his retro look, and was only an AT, compared to Pit's soon-to-be Uprising appearance.

Although there is a promotional aspect indeed, I don't think it's the main point of Smash.

Or I should start waiting for a Devil World sequel :awesome:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, by that logic, Color TV Game is not retro because it will appear in the next Smash :troll:

What is important is how old the last game of the serie was. And Punch Out's last game is not old. But Nazo No Murasame Jo, Clu Clu Land, Mach Rider... These are clearly retro.

Last edited:

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Well, by that logic, Color TV Game is not retro because it will appear in the next Smash :troll:

What is important is how old the last game of the serie was. And Punch Out last game is not old. But Nazo No Murasame Jo, Clu Clu Land, Mach Rider... Those are clearly retro.
Eh, just hope I'm making sense with why he could be seen as Retro. Granted this is the Internet so all things will be held accountable with horrible spelling yet perfect grammar.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, again, I think he is not retro because of the Wii game, but I agree that he is known for the retro game, more than the Wii game.

(about spelling, are my posts that bad? Just asking, as I'm a frenchie :p )

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Well, again, I think he is not retro because of the Wii game, but I agree that he is known for the retro game, more than the Wii game.

(about spelling, are my posts that bad? Just asking, as I'm a frenchie :p )
Oh no you're good lol. Just speaking in general with anywhere you go online really lol. Everybody is just about a certified PhD and knows anything about everything if given 3-6 minutes to respond.

Anyways, back onto topic:

-- DHD!!

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Anyways, back onto topic:

-- DHD!!
In the end, there's a lot of subjectivity about what makes a character "retro". Personally, I'm starting to consider Saki retro for example :p But that doesn't make Sin & Punishement retro with the Wii game.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
We are getting a revived additional franchise in the vein of how Kid Icarus was revived as confirmed in an interview. That is all.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'm not so sure if Lip can exist in Smash anymore if the Lip's Stick is already confirmed as an item based on an IGN press kit image.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
My retro suggestion... Lolo and Lala. Anyone remember them? They had their own series of games and they were featured as a boss in a Kirby game as well... that would definitely be a WTF throwback.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm not so sure if Lip can exist in Smash anymore if the Lip's Stick is already confirmed as an item based on an IGN press kit image.
There's now a Boomerang item and Link/Toon Link already use Boomerangs. Samus' Screw Ball is available as an item but its also her up special. There's a raygun which works almost identical to Fox's raygun. Beam Sword, and several other characters can already use swords.

The items don't mean anything. Actually, I think the fact that Lip's Stick has been in the game so long gives Lip a better chance of making it in over other potential Retro characters.

cj.

Smash Journeyman
duck hunt dog has my support

Last edited:

Prince17

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
Phaz#755
NNID
Legendlar
3DS FC
3840-7049-1098
I have not much idea who Lip is but I visited the thread for her and I support. She seems like she is from some obscure game that would get a lot more love and attention if she was put in Sm4sh. I would almost always want a relevant character over a retro character but Lip is probably at the top of retro characters for me.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
DHD would be so good. I don't think there's a gamer alive who doesn't know about him. Perfect troll character, just imagine that taunt!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
There's now a Boomerang item and Link/Toon Link already use Boomerangs. Samus' Screw Ball is available as an item but its also her up special. There's a raygun which works almost identical to Fox's raygun. Beam Sword, and several other characters can already use swords.

The items don't mean anything. Actually, I think the fact that Lip's Stick has been in the game so long gives Lip a better chance of making it in over other potential Retro characters.
That may be true, though Jamesnaux didn't get the point when speaking about the issue weeks ago in the Lip Thread. Then again, she's a Flower Fairy and can easily bloom another if she wants since it's a plant.

Who the hell am I kidding. Smash doesn't have logic like most video games. :troll:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
That may be true, though Jamesnaux didn't get the point when speaking about the issue weeks ago in the Lip Thread. Then again, she's a Flower Fairy and can easily bloom another if she wants since it's a plant.

Who the hell am I kidding. Smash doesn't have logic like most video games. :troll:
Yeah, that's one major reason I'd like Lip. She's a flower fairy? A nature-based moveset, it'd be epic. I certainly don't think we're going to get another grass-type Pokemon at this point.

I have not much idea who Lip is but I visited the thread for her and I support. She seems like she is from some obscure game that would get a lot more love and attention if she was put in Sm4sh. I would almost always want a relevant character over a retro character but Lip is probably at the top of retro characters for me.
Technically Panel de Pon isn't THAT obscure. Lip herself is, because she only appeared in the Japanese release of the original Panel de Pon and every time the games are ported to the west, they replace all the characters. The original Panel de Pon was ported to the west as "Tetris Attack" (even though it doesn't have anything to do with Tetris), and its my favorite puzzle game of all time.

After Tetris Attack, the series became known as "Puzzle League" in the west, with the second game being branded "Pokemon Puzzle League." The third game and out removed all of the characters and likewise killed a lot of the interest the games had.

I really would like to see a revival of the classic Panel de Pon, and have them not only bring back Lip and the original cast but port them to the west, as well. Unfortunately I find that highly unlikely. :p

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Lip is not really a retro, she had many recent games lately, it's just not starring the fairy cast, so Sakurai may not consider her games as a franchise to revive.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Lip is not really a retro, she had many recent games lately, it's just not starring the fairy cast, so Sakurai may not consider her games as a franchise to revive.
Lip is Retro in the sense that she herself hasn't appeared in a long time. There have been Panel de Pon games for a long time, but most of the games have cut all of the fairy characters and therefore the mascots of the series.

I consider Lip a Retro character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom