• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What other characters contribute to Pits Meta/Game.

Coffee™

I need it....
The boards seem kinda boring to me and Pit's metagme doesn't really seem to be advancing well, so i'll be making some threads in the near future to hopefully get some discussion up about what Pit mains can do to hopefully boost Pits Metagame forward. This is the first of such threads.

This is a question i've been asking myself recently. I main Pit but I also play a whole host of other characters, Pikachu, Metaknight, Sonic, Diddy, Ice Climbers...etc.

I've found that I tend to incorporate some techniques i've developed with each character into my Pit's gameplay from time to time. Sometimes they benefit me, other times...not so much. Which characters do YOU believe can help boost Pit's metagame or gameplay? Or rather an easier way of looking at the question. What character is best suited as a secondary for a Pit main and why?

Please don't simply post a character as a good secondary and don't state the reasoning as to why you think playing that character benefits Pit. As the reasoning behind the character choice will idealy be the most important part of this discussion.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Hmm well in my opinion, all of the other characters i play, i really cant do anything similar with pit. His fighting styles and specials are much too different.

I play Pit, Toon Link, Link, Ike, Pkmn Trainer, Kirby, and Mario. Only thing that is similar between any of them is my like to abuse up tilts for all of them except for pit.

Hayang

Smash Journeyman
I would say Pokemon Trainer is a good secondary for Pit users. More specifically, I think Ivysaur's playstyle is somewhat(relatively speaking) similar to Pit's. His aerial spacing is similar to that of Pit's, and use of razor leaf is similar to the use of Pit's straight arrows to some extent. I can't say as much about the other two pokemon, but I think PT in general plays a very reactive game that Pit players could learn and benefit from. Correct me if I'm wrong

I was going to say something about characters that cover for Pit's bad matchups, but the answer to that is pretty obvious.

xflame

Smash Rookie
Hm, yea i actually use PT as one of my secondaries so the spacing thing may be pretty accurate. I play as Lucario, Wolf, and Wario as my primary secondaries, so i guess another connection could be the aerial game, since all 3 are pretty effective in the air. I think that Lucario's grab game may have helped me time my shieldgrabs better, but that it can be harmful at times because Pit's grab/throw game is not that great while Lucario's if faily strong. Wolf, i can't see too much of a connection other that when i tend to perform a fsmash with wolf I generally follow it up with a laser shot, similar to when shooting an arrow after pit smashes an opponent. Either way, I'm not sure how you could really apply either to boost Pit's metagame.

SonicBoom2

Smash Journeyman
Squirtle has Pit's damage racking ability.
Charizard has flight.
Ivysaur ^explained in Hayang's post.

In a way it might be nice, but the stamina thing can really mess up your normal tactics.

I chose to try to main Peach because of her good aerials and the float ability reminds me of glide for some odd reason.

Lucario... Idk much, I forgot a lot about him when I started playing as Peach.

Wolf has speed and power, plus a somewhat even aerial and ground game (correct me if I'm wrong) until you realize he is decent at best with recovering, unlike a good Pit.
(Failed scar attempts also are annoying.)

xflame

Smash Rookie
yea, Wolf's recovery is definitely one thing that separates him a lot from pit. I can see peach bearing some resemblance for sure. She has some good aerials a reflector, a pretty good projectile. hm... that could be an interesting option. although one thing is that she doesn't have too much in terms of multi-hit attacks i don't think... but then again, you won't ever get someone who is perfectly similar

SonicBoom2

Smash Journeyman
She still does have some combo ability like pit.
Dair works wonders.
Peach also needs to be on the ground to grab a turnip, and it may backfire with bombs and stuff. For some reason Mr. Saturns are useful, they last a while and do nearly the same as a normal turnip.

Sonic bears some resemblence with his speed and good recovery. Just, he has only low-mid priority attacks, with only few high (if any, I cant remember)

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
because Pit's grab/throw game is not that great while Lucario's if fairly strong.
I do believe you are mistaken. Pit has a longer grab range than lucario as well as several more ways to grab, Angelic step or arrow loop or pivot grab are all ones that pit can use that lucario gains no benifit from.

also Pits throws are slightly better overall i think. First pit has a chain grab with fthrow, Lucario doesnt (FP doesnt count). also uthrow and dthrow are great for setting up punishers when they air dodge or just mindgames in general, Lucario can do this to the same extent nothing special there.

Same thing applies to the uses of Fthrow and Bthrow sets up nicely on the edge for both, but the one thing that pit has is arrows to chase the opponent, luc has AS, not nearly as effective

So all in all with pit having a slightly better before and after throw game I think he has a better grab game, as for throws they are nearly identicle in terms of uses.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Nuff said above.

What about Toon Link? My friend keeps bugging me to mention him here.
Pit's arrows > TL's arrows

They both got good recovery, but i really dont know much besides that.

Marth and Pit both have good edgeguarding capabilities, and some combos.

xflame

Smash Rookie
Pit's grab range may be longer, but lucario's is faster. also, Lucario can combo pretty well out of his grabs, probably better than pit can. He can dthrow to SHfair/Uair depending on DI. also Lucario's back throw can ko opponents decently enough. you are correct in that their grab/throw games are closer then i initially made it seem, but lucario's is a bit stronger

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Pit's F-throw Chain works better on Heavies
Pit is also good at pressuring opponents' Shields, with Rapid A, Angel Ring, and N-air, as well as some other multiple hit moves like U-air. Who else is good at Pressuring Shields like Pit?

12:00 Am Midnight post!

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
a good TL wins a projectile spam war against pit.
Making TL a bigger camper than Pit, but still,
TL can shoot arrows quicker than Pit can slightly, but still, Pit's arrows > TL's arrows. Cant get enough of them arrow mindgames.

SonicBoom2

Smash Journeyman
Pit's arrows have similarities to TL's since theyre both fast, but the controllable part of Pit's arrows give him an edge.

If we're not talking about Force Palm...
Pit's grab game is better.
I barely use Lucs normal grabs anymore, maybe like twice every match.

Coffee™

I need it....
a good TL wins a projectile spam war against pit.
I don't see how honestly. TL's Boomerang and Bombs have a bit of lag before then can be thrown or pulled out respectively, enough time that they can be hit with an Arrow before thrown. TL's Arrows are similar but iirc are a bit slower to fire, which means TL is still getting hit first. Then there comes the issue that Pit also has 2 reflectors. Imo, Pit pretty much outcamps TL.

Back on topic. I think Ness' playstyle helps out Pit a bit, I find that Ness' aerials are pretty similar in terms of application, he also has a pretty average ground game similar to Pit and has a usable projectile. I find his PSI Magnet also helps me time my Mirror Shield reflections a bit better as well.

SonicBoom2

Smash Journeyman
But being able to jump in his recovery takes him away.
PSI magnet is only available to Energy Projectiles, so I can't play Ness for my life since Ill be trying to absorb missles >_>
But your right, similar aerials, although I think Pit's ground game is a bit better.

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
I dont recommend toon link to Pit players... well i am a bit of a TL hater. I cant deal with his stupid Dair. Well i main the heck out of pit, and rarely pick anyone else. With that being said, when i do pick others its...
Secondary: Marth, Lucario
Tertiary: Zelda, Pika, Ike

Lucario i like because of his floatiness, and his ability to combo in the air like pit can, following the opponent with every strike. I like marth mainly because his Nair doesnt lag and his sword dance is uber in this game. When i use the secondaries, then switch back to pit, the transition is fine.

With the tertiaries and everyone else, if i use them for a bit then switch back to pit, my game is thrown off a bit... basically i suggest lucario and marth. Just please not toon link, he is so awkward with his little toe nail that he calls a sword

Deidara~Tail~

Smash Apprentice
Where you'd least expect, and don't say "unde
I used to main Pit, but now I main Peach. Pit is now a secondary of mine. I'm not sure what would be a good secondary for Pit mains, but at least I can make similarities with Peach and Pit.

Both Pit and Peach are good edgeguarders. Peach's floating ability combined with her turnips give opponents a lot to deal with when they try to get back on stage. I can kind of relate that to Pit, where he can use arrows and Wing Renewal to edgeguard his opponents.

They also reach through long distances with their recoveries. A major difference is that Peach lacks vertical recovery, so a spike affects her more than Pit.

You can use mindgames with Peach's turnips (yay for Glide Tossing), though her mindgames with turnips isn't as great as mindgames with Pit's arrows.

Oh, and both of their names start with the letter P, lol.

I think the biggest difference in their meta game is that Peach is an aerialist while Pit isn't.

I don't recommend Meta Knight for Pit mains in case anybody was wondering. The transition is awful for me. For some reason, I keep confusing Pit as another Metaknight after using Metaknight for a while, which isn't good.

Lust34

Smash Rookie
this might sound dumb but playing sheik made me up tilt more short hop more and jump off the stage and F Air moar lol

Top Bottom