• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Noises Make You Cringe?

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Are there just some noises that make you shiver or tense up just at the thought of them? Upon research, scientists say humans find the most unpleasant sounds at around 2,000 to 5,000 Hz, as it's the frequency range in which our ears are the most sensitive (which may explain why we recoil at the sound of nails on a chalkboard).

Personally, my #1 most unbearable sound to hear is when an eraser on a No. 2 pencil wears down almost all the way; when someone attempts to erase and the aluminum on the pencil scrapes and scratches against the paper, I just can't handle it.

So, what noises make you go crazy? :psycho:
Share below.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Whatever that noise is when styrofoam is rubbed or scratched. I cringe instantly upon hearing that.

izumisempai

Smash Rookie
Rubber squeaky noises make me uncomfortable. Not the squeaky toy noises, but the stretchy rubber noises. Can't stand it.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Though more visual than anything, seeing someone slide, rub, or scrape against carpet gives me goosebumps in places I never knew could have goosebumps.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
People who chew with their mouth open.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Not gonna lie: I do that intentionally sometimes to annoy people. Unfortunately, my daughter kind of picked up that habit, and I'm paying for it.
Serves you right!

Soupy

Sage of Wind
I absolutely can not stand people that chew extremely sloppily with their mouths hanging open.
Like....how has someone at a restaurant not slapped you, yet?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
This is a bit of a specific one.

The sound of a character in a movie or TV show being burned alive.

I have a terrible fear of self-immolation, to the extent where I actually feel like crying and shivering in the corner if I hear somebody screaming whilst in that kind of situation. I know it's not real and that nobody's actually being hurt, but the thought of that happening to me, combined with the unearthly noises produced by such an event, shock me to my core.

Amagiri's death in Darker Than Black remains the single most terrifying noise I have ever heard uttered by a human being. Chills every time.

In terms of pet peeves, nothing much. I tend to just block the noise out and carry on regardless.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Anytime someone plays dubstep or rap music loud enough for me to hear from across the room (and being assholes when I ask them to turn it down)

I can't focus on work when it's playing

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
That reminds me, actually. Boomingly loud bass; doesn't make me cringe, but it is kind of horrible to me.

RyanMelon

Smash Cadet
NNID
RyanMelon
When ever someone scratches the bottom of their bowl or plate with a spoon or worse, a fork. I can't take that stuff ;_;
The sound of Luigi's Super Jump Punch hitting me...
And Rest sounds. I don't care if I used to main Jigglypuff, still have nightmares of all the rests...

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
There's this type of booth seat 'fabric' that makes such a sound when being rubbed against that really gets to me. I'll be sitting in a restaurant with those booths and one of the workers will be cleaning them with a cloth and it'll drive me crazy!

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
The sound of scrubbing canvas or parachute fabric.

If something spills on one if those, dammit it's staying spilled.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
I have a lot of sounds that make me cringe, but the main ones I can't stand the most are snoring, babies or small children crying, & dogs barking. I get nervous whenever I hear either one of those.

Lichi

This is my war snarl
Writing / drawing with pens / pencils that scratch the paper more than filling it with color. I'll get goosebumps.

Sendubbio

Smash Rookie
NNID
Flamjam
Weird seeing this thread, as I actually have misophonia. It’s eating noises that get to me, as well as breathing, talking from another room, the noise of my cat licking herself, pretty much any ‘mouthy’ noise you can think of. Can’t stand them.

Top Bottom