• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What motivates you to get better at Smash or other fighting games?

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
Wew, I've been posting here more than actually playing smash!

Anyway, what do you strive for when you try to improve? Do you want to be an online warrior? Do you just want to beat your friends? Maybe you want to make top 8 at EVO one day. Post about it here.

Personally, I like the idea of just getting to a higher ranking on Anther's.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Hm... Let see here... It all came from last year, and that was when I was really interested in honing my skills in mastering the character I main. I had a competitive mindset to push myself further and get better. That's something I had just in general, but I was REALLY accustomed to doing 1v1s 24/7 back in the summer.

It was basically a combination of having fun and getting better. I would always challenge my older brother to a 1v1 back at his friend's house. As I eventually got some tips and buffs, I get closer to his level (of course, that would be nothing compared to what he and my OTHER older brother can do in Melee XD). No one I knew play good, so I just mess around playing other characters in FG. My niece is also looking to get better to, so I go out of my way to teach her and help her practice.

Now I just don't really have it anymore. I'll still go online for sure, but my mindset is on going where I need to go for post secondary. I guess overall, it was a triple of liking my main, getting better, and having fun in the end.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Hm... place high so I can get recognition in skills I guess? Making friends in community's always nice and fun, but it's even more fun trying to make rivals out of the stronger players in your region. When you're too weak, well, it's just not the same I guess.

Fox who?

Smash Cadet
NNID
xanhil
3DS FC
4957-6199-7845
For me, it was a mixture of different things. At first, I got motivated to play competitively watching some early melee matches. I watched a lot of old M2K, then I got into 64. Isai was what basically got me to decide that I wanted to dive into this series competitively. Watching them inspired me to play as fluently as them. I practiced falco/puff a ton on melee for a while trying to improve. I went on hiatus for a while though when real life kicked me in the balls for a while, but came back when sm4sh came out for 3ds. At first, I just played it casually, but slowly started getting competitive about it again. It was always the same thought behind it though. I wanted that thrill of beating a skilled opponent. I wanted the full package; the nervousness, the stress, the thrill, the salt, all of it. That's actually also why I main jiggs.

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
There's the feeling of beating someone you've always aimed to surpass. Ever since I was young, I was always the one to switch out during matches because I constantly lost. Only a year ago, I've decided to take Smash seriously. When people get good, they sometimes are content with their level and don't make a constant effort to improve. The players below them are able to catch up because of this. I still need a lot of exposure and practice in Smash but I have seen results. I can make games come pretty close when I fight my friends. Even though I don't always win, when I do, it honestly feels like one of the best things in the world.

[][] Revios

That one guy
What motivates me the most in practicing and trying to get better at smash and other games would have to be watching pro players.

Synnett

Alligator Lord
In Melee, because my favorite character is fun to play. I want to bring Boozer to the top :083:

Duck Hunt for the way he plays, I like the idea of a mindgame character. But his moves are too laggy to really improve well.

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I'm really surprised of the variety of reasons here! I thought most of them would be "Because I want to get better" and not as well thought out as they are. Recently, the reason I want to get better is because I want to attend a tourney soon and not go 0-2 in the first tourney I enter.

Derpnaster

Smash Journeyman
Where I play it's either you get good or you don't play, wwe have too many people and only one WiiU so it's either I learn how to survive and take stocks or I never get to play because I don't stay in long enough to do anything.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Because it's fun, I guess. Not too fond of longer games usually so I just play and replay the ones I've beaten. I enjoy improving at any game, not just Smash.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
To be honest, I just find improving to be fun.

I'm not really a competitive player nor do I keep up with anything that happens in the competitive scene either. I have random thoughts that do cross my mind about venturing into the competitive world of Smash, but at the same time I'm pretty reluctant to do so.

So I don't try to improve because I want to be competitive. I improve because I find it to be fun, and not to mention it's nice to see how far you've come. It gives me a sense of purpose Smash-wise. If I didn't aim to improve so much I really wouldn't have much of a reason to play it as much as I do. Don't read into that incorrectly. I do enjoy playing Smash for the sake of playing it; however playing to improve just adds onto the fun I receive from it. It's the drive to continue getting better that has kept me playing Smash as long as I have.

Aside from it being fun, it's also a nice ego boost sometimes. I remember being such a complete "Scrub" at Smash during the Melee era, and now I play loads better. It's just nice to see how far I've really come compared to how I used to play. It's seriously a good feeling.

Last edited:
Top Bottom