• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What makes pokemon so successful

Lithexive

Smash Rookie
One of the best RPG's in my opinion, It's just awesome to be so free and create your team however you disire

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
The greatest feature of Pokemon is its sheer variety. Literally anyone can play and find their own style.

Honestly, it's not just battling. Many nerdy kids (like me) who just play to win think Pokemon is all about becoming the strongest pokemon master and winning battles. But there's much more to it than that. The reason there are so many types and so many looks and colors to Pokemon is that each person can choose favorites and train them however he/she wants.

My favorite Pokemon is Arcanine and my favorite types are Fire and Bug. My favorite color is red. So if I wanted, I could make a really awesome and manly team with Arcanine, Scizor, and a red Gyarados. I have chosen how I want to play the game and I made the main character truly represent ME.

My girlfriend took a liking to Pokemon Emerald. However, she wasn't a very good battler. You know how the little Lass trainers in the game say that Pokemon are no longer cute when they evolve? I thought real people weren't like that... but my girlfriend was. She trained her Pikachu, Marril, and Girafarig to win not gym badges, but Pokemon Contests. Once again, I didn't think anyone could like those... but she did. She wanted her Pokemon to be the cutest and most beautiful Pokemon in the whole world, which I thought was really cute.

Those are just a couple examples. You can tailor your Pokemon team to fit YOUR personality. Sure, there is a linear aspect to the game that just helps you expand to the whole world and go through a variety of learned skills. You have to battle gym leaders who are actually pretty darn challenging your first time through.

Perhaps a genius player could defeat all 3 of Norman's Pokemon with a level 15 Aron. Or maybe a trainer who's not as smart could just put a lot of hard work into training a Pokemon, and defeat Norman with a level 40 Sceptile.

Anyone can become great and accomplish whatever he/she wants in the world of Pokemon. The game also teaches positive lessons about teamwork, perserverence, courage, and good prevailing over evil. Whenever you complete an adventure, someone walks up to you and praises for you for your accomplishment. It's a great game for young people because it positively reinforces good values. By creating a reflection of yourself in a Pokemon trainer, you gain a lot of "real-life" experience by learning those values. The game even allows you to connect to others through battling and trading. Heck, the game even encourages trading because your Pokemon get an experience boost. Connecting to others... learning life lessons... becoming the strongest or coolest or most evil trainer in the world... Do whatever you want! Who do you want to be?

Answering that question... is what makes Pokemon so successful.

Now... that's just the games themselves. For people (like me) who truly want to be the strongest and best trainers, you go to Wi-Fi and ShoddyBattle :p. That's where nerds like us come in and analyze all the stats and strats. It becomes a game of win or lose. But in the beginning, it was all an adventure.

Top Bottom