• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What makes his Dair sometimes not shoot immediately downward?

yawgtwo

Smash Rookie
NNID
yawgmotth
I know this is probably a noob Bowser question, but I figured I would get an answer here.
How come sometimes it shoots straight to the ground and sometimes it moves slower and you get a chance to jump out of it instead of plummeting to earth/your death offstage. Is it something I am doing and just not realizing what I am doing? hahaha
Can anyone help me out?

Captain Justice

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nacholovr
3DS FC
1848-1848-8415
The reason that it sometimes hovers instead of causing a straight downward descent (like Bowser Bomb) is most likely because you have used Dair while you were launched upward/had an upward momentum. You might notice this with other character's Dairs like Greninja or Sheik. It is simply the game's physics.

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
The reason that it sometimes hovers instead of causing a straight downward descent (like Bowser Bomb) is most likely because you have used Dair while you were launched upward/had an upward momentum. You might notice this with other character's Dairs like Greninja or Sheik. It is simply the game's physics.
^That. The hitbox is all there so you might be able to catch someone off-guard with it every once in a while if they get too aggressive.

Captain Justice

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nacholovr
3DS FC
1848-1848-8415
^That. The hitbox is all there so you might be able to catch someone off-guard with it every once in a while if they get too aggressive.
I have noticed another fun use when put in this position: Punishing airdodges. Similar to Yoshi's Dair, Bowser's Dair lasts for quite awhile. If your opponent jumps up after launching you, a Dair will not only cancel out your momentum but will last through an airdodge if your opponent attempts one. Basically, an airdodge is shorter than Bowser's Dair.

yawgtwo

Smash Rookie
NNID
yawgmotth
Thanks! I had no idea the momentum made such a difference in the middle of a move that affects your direction.

The first time I ever noticed it was when playing multiplayer with some friends.
I got launched at the same time as someone else and we were right on top of each other. I was a stock up on everyone so I figured I'd take him out and get back in at 0%. So I Dair and he gets spiked and I flutter downward for a second then get back to the edge. Everyone was yelling "What?" hahaha

Top Bottom