• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What makes a approch good?

kenkowtow

Smash Apprentice
What makes a good approach overall?

Well for GnW: The bair cannot be shield-grabbed. It cannot be dodged. Thus the only way to not get hit by it is to roll or not even be in range. Simple as that. This removes any counters that the defending character has. Defending is forced to retreat.

Falco's SHDL shouldn't be that hard to avoid. They work only on the condition that the opponent is not shielding in any way. Also, by your profile, I assume that you use DDD. Kinda large, use something smaller and you should realize it's not much a problem (relative to GnW).

As for what makes a good approach. You can either have an "undefeatable" like GnW's bair. An aerial (spaced ROB Bair), ground attack (snake-dashing), or whatever else that makes you safe immediately after using it. Or something that you can control your opponent with (aka "mindgames").
Then again, you don't need to approach. Say you're toon link. You can just camp instead of approaching.

Look at any tentative tier list. You should notice that all of the ones at top have a good approach option (else camp).

fkacyan

Smash Hero
If you can't be hit out of it, outprioritized by a faster attack, shieldgrabbed, or in any way punished, it is a good approach.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
An approach tends to be good if you can hit your foe without getting hurt. Easier said than done for certain opponents such as Donkey Kong.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
The best approach is NO approach. Camping is usually better than approaching.

GimmeAnFSharp

Smash Journeyman
An approach is also good if you know your opponent well enough to punish them with what would otherwise be a foolish option... if your opponent isn't catching on to Snake's dash attack, than by all means keep abusing it! If they don't know how to react to Din's Fire spam, abuse it!

So many people forget half the game is what the other person is bringing to the table- sure, it's good to have an idea of reliable approaches, such as GnW's bair. But they aren't necessarily the BEST approaches given any circumstance...

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
An approach is also good if you know your opponent well enough to punish them with what would otherwise be a foolish option... if your opponent isn't catching on to Snake's dash attack, than by all means keep abusing it! If they don't know how to react to Din's Fire spam, abuse it!

So many people forget half the game is what the other person is bringing to the table- sure, it's good to have an idea of reliable approaches, such as GnW's bair. But they aren't necessarily the BEST approaches given any circumstance...
lol like my bro knows im way offensive, so he just charges an usmash and lo and behold I run into it, every ****ing time, then I get pissed and want to be more aggressive to get a good hit in when again he charges another smash that usually kills me :confused: When I get my kills from combos, spikes and such

Top Bottom