• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What made you pick up DDD?

#KingM

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3926-6730-0487
What about DDD interested you? Was it his sweet, low-percentage kill moves? Maybe his goofy but serious demeanor? How about his awe-inducing hammer?

For me, I picked up DDD because I started Smash4 without a main. I mean, I didn't feel TLink was as good as he was in Brawl, where everyone was slow-paced and TLink had a nice time reacting to that. I tried DDD because someone went up against me online with him. That fool managed to knock me out at 55%. From then on, I knew he would be mine >:D

ALSO HE HAS A GIANT HAMMER!

williamsga555

Smash Journeyman
I'm a huge nut for the Kirby franchise, so I love all three of the characters that made it to Smash. So I already knew I would play him at least a decent amount because of it.

What ended up selling him as a main was basically two factors: how he's represented in Smash 4, and Gordos.

Compared to Brawl, Smash 4's version of Dedede is such a better representation of the character, imo. He's so expressive. Can't help but smile on seeing the King, man, they just absolutely nailed everything about him as far as representation goes.

Gordos are, imo, either the first or second most interesting move in the game (first being Bonus Fruit). There's so much intricacy to it, and it's such a fascinating move from a game design standpoint. Completely unique to the series in almost every way it functions. Love those things.

Incoleo

Smash Cadet
NNID
incoleo
For me, it was Jdawg and soul train

I'd been a villager main for a bit (and was honestly only barely competitive, the best I'd ever done was go 1-2 in tourney), and I saw Jdawg just completely DESTROY a pikachu on stream (even spiking him with up-b eue) so I thought I'd pick him up. And why not? I didn't know what the tier lists were like, and I loved kirby, so it was perfect :D

Then I looked up a video guide for him, and found soul train's. As soon as I saw the first video talking about his taunts, I knew he was the character for me (also the community is just so fun?? Like I think that the d3 board is probably the coolest I've seen)

tumut tony

Smash Rookie
It;s funny how I started my dedede maining days. When I first got smash 4 I said to myself, "I'm going to main Luigi, or R.O.B, or Mega Man, or Villager, nonono, we'll main Duck Hunt, or Game and Watch!". I played around with these characters for the most part, but one day me and a group of friends we're playing smash and we all chose random and I got DDD. I SD'd with Up-b twice and lost immediately I realized I couldn't take this humiliation sitting down, so I went home and I swore to myself that I would get good at DDD and he would become one of my legendary mains! After I learned DDD, he was more of a pocket character over anything. Cut foward about a year and I'm going to tournaments playing my mains at the time Meta Knight and Alph, with a little DDD every so often. At the time I felt like DDD just wasn't that good for the competetive scene, but I wasn't going to drop him like that. I would practice against lv.9's at home and I said, alright DDD, this is your chance to prove to me you're good. If you do good here, I'll use you in tournament. I won against the LV.9 and did some sicknasty tricks during the match ((because you know, lv.9's, it's not THAT hard)) and I used DDD in my next tournament. I ended up on stream that day and played DDD and did amazing. I was practically a discount chudat on stream and it felt great and I decided from that moment that I would never drop DDD. My other secondary mains like Duck Hunt, R.O.B, Mewtwo, and Meta knight may slide in and out, but I know for a fact that DDD will live on forever.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
He was my main in Brawl and I've always been madly in love with DDD since Nightmare in Dreamland on GBA way back when I was a kid. Gordos were a big deal to me and I instantly saw the insane unique creative trapping potential the character has with them.

Basically, he was hilarious unique and stylish. I'll probably always at least play DDD in future Smash games as well. Just fkn love that fat penguin

DEX_

Smash Cadet
NNID
Crowind
3DS FC
5086-1792-9558
At the release of sm4sh (my first smash game) I mained sonic, and this friend of mine mained dedede. One day he told me "give dedede a try, he's very funny", and i replied "sonic is a ton of fun too, pick him sometimes"
aaaaand we switched mains

Dedede gave me confidence when i started playing, his amazing survavibility and having a sort of projectile made him "easy" at noob level.
Then i discovered girth and soultrain and my love for the character increased more, and here i am.
I'm slowing switching to other characters because of his poor usefulness in competitive game, but i'd love to see him buffed to solo main him

tumut tony

Smash Rookie
He was my main in Brawl and I've always been madly in love with DDD since Nightmare in Dreamland on GBA way back when I was a kid. Gordos were a big deal to me and I instantly saw the insane unique creative trapping potential the character has with them.

Basically, he was hilarious unique and stylish. I'll probably always at least play DDD in future Smash games as well. Just fkn love that fat penguin
GIRTHQUAKE! Hi! You're one of my biggest inspirations and one of the main reasons I held on to the D. Thanks for teaching me the way of the king, and keeping him alive for me. If it weren't for you, Dedede would probably be one of my pocket mains and collecting pocket lint by now!

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Honestly, it's a funny story really...

I never would of saw myself maining King Dedede for any given reason. I tried him in Brawl and despised him. He was the worst of the worst character choices for me. At that point I knew I'd never be touching him with a 10 foot pole.... But then Smash U happened.

I was still determined and convinced that he'd never be for me; however at one point I started to use him as my "Couldn't really care less/For Funsies" type of character. Perhaps it was all the various changes he had received in Smash U but I surprisingly started doing better with him out of the blue. He went from "My worst character ever" to "Hey, he's kind of fun!". This encouraged me to play him even more, to the point he became a full blown main. It's just extremely hard to imagine something like that actually happening.

After showing so much resentment to him... Look at me now.

He's one of my best, and most terrifying mains now. I do so well with him to the point I dropped my "Since Day 1" main Kirby. I've done five times better with him than I ever could with Kirby who I mained since the original. I'm just.... So very sorry I doubted you Dedede.

I can't believe I couldn't see his greatness before.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Coming into this game, I was so determined to main Lucario. I mained him in Brawl, and he was coming back with even more aura this time around! So I finally got the game and I was excited to finally play him again and . . . HE WAS BORING! Like, all his moves were way too simple and the few changes they made to him I actually didn't like! ESPECIALLY THAT FINAL SMASH WHAT IS THAT? AURA STORM IS THE BEST FINAL SMASH TO GRACE THIS FRANCHISE! AND YOU GIVE ME THIS?!? So, I was subscribed to TheJWittz on YouTube, and he made a video about the game, and said how Bowser was really friggin good this time around, so I decided to give him a try, and I really liked him, and tried to main him for a week, but he still wasn't doing it for me, but I found out that I just really enjoyed all the heavies, and after trying each one out, based on both personal attachment to the character and playstyle, I knew DDD was the one! And I could not have been more correct! I fit right in with the community, and I love gordo, dededecides, disrespect, shield break kills at 20%, ending games in <30 seconds sometimes, and being the low-tier hero and becoming somewhat [in]famous at my locals for it.

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
King Dedede was a character that I used a bit in Brawl. I assumed he was a meh character, because at the age of 8 you aren't the most knowledgeable about competitive Smash. I discovered what he was able to do at Brawls death bed and I knew that I would carry on to Smash 4. I tried out Tink and Zelda, and then used King Dedede and I realized something was different. HE CLICKED this time! I was more comfortable with this character and his changes from Brawl made him playable for me. I was charmed by his personality and he is the most fun character in Smash 4 for me

RazzmatazzBean

Smash Rookie
I got assigned D3 at random and just gave it my all and the character clicked. When I looked into him, I learned he was a fun, powerful character with a unique playstyle, and I was sold.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Because he was my favorite character to play in Brawl. And I didn't play that game competitively.

K1LL3R

Smash Rookie
NNID
rk_Pixel
Gordo made me do it. After testing out the full cast, the Gordo Throw ended up being my favorite move, and it makes the neutral game super fun and interesting to me. D3 is also such a goofy, fun character that I couldn't resist. The crouch, the dance, those facial expressions, the damage...*kisses finger tips*

Ti-Phil

Smash Rookie
Because deep down in my heart... I'm a fat blue pinguin....

Well, the real reason is simply this : I tried different characters at first and Dedede was the one I had the most fun to play with. Most people always do the same things with their main, I enjoy beig imaginative with Dedede.

YeHs

Smash Rookie
NNID
YeHs12
I am a massive Kirby fan, so I played a bit of each, though I originally mained Ness, but when I tried Dedede, I just.. knew what to do...I cant explain it. I love him.

lolito52

Smash Rookie
3 step easy stock:
step 1: lure to the edge
step 2: succ
step 3: C U C C

P.Kay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
plenty.kay
3DS FC
3153-8243-0352
Kirby games, I love them. Dedede has stuck with me for a very long time so it only felt natural to pick him up in Smash.

Dedede is very fun to play, too.

The exact same reasons for Wario too, Wario games and fun gameplay.

sojothepale

Smash Rookie
NNID
sojothepale
He's fun, but holy crap I wish something as basic as Mario's fireballs didn't knock his Gordos back. I feel like he would be drastically improved if only attacks above a certain damage threshold knocked them back. It's bad enough that you can only have one out at a time, even if you're ledge-guarding with them...they disappear almost instantly. Like I said, still fun but hoo boy is he frustrating.

Iux

Smash Rookie
NNID
raxelgrande
Well the story was quite simple, a few weeks ago I was suffering a crisis of characters and I did not know which one to use. and one day in for glory I met someone who easily defeated me with dedede and now it is my secondary main along with yoshi

lnfrared

Smash Rookie
NNID
Elekkusu
im a sucker for fastfallers and i was like "i should practice playing some heavies" and i realized dedede was both a fastfaller and a heavy and i ended up enjoying using him a lot more than i thought i would

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
I have played Ganondorf, Wii Fit Trainer, Peach, Ice Climbers, Kirby, Ness, Corrin, and Lucas.

DDD just plays really well for me. He’s honestly the biggest price of garbage in the game, but I like how he plays and can set up traps very easily. Love how he doesn’t die early, and the hurt box can be overcome by just knowing when the land and shield. And DDD’s the easiest character to play imo

TaranTr

Smash Rookie
I always loved the character, specially how expressive he is, had to learn how to use it but is worth it, is a blast!

Top Bottom