• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What made SilentSpectre such a famously strange Falcon player?

gapw

Smash Cadet
I always hear that if you watch SilentSpectre, you shouldn't even try to do the stuff he's doing because of how wonky it is and how his play doesn't make much sense but works. Is this true? And if so, why is it true?

gapw

Smash Cadet
Also, since SilentSpectre is apparently not the best Falcon to learn from, what are some better players to study?

gapw

Smash Cadet
I thought that SilentSpectre was a legend even without taking a set off Armada and being part of the Wombo Combo. I don't really know, though.

TheWeis

Smash Cadet
SilentSpectre was the best falcon on the west coast (world?) for a while, he is way more than a few achievements. Mango plays green falcon because of him I believe

Aceflight

Smash Cadet
Although he's still ranked 10th in Norcal, he was definitely one of the best west coast players for a while (post MLG era) and probably the most popular Falcon at the time. Darkrain always had better tournament results, but Jeff being from the West Coast naturally had more fans and whatnot. His matches were also consistently being uploaded to HMW's channel, and that was when he uploaded videos ALL the time. He innovated some stuff too (the pull back on Falcon's Up B, pivot forward smash, full jump and double jump tricks, etc.)

And yeah a lot of people including S2J have been on record saying that you shouldn't match your game like SilentSpectre cause of how weird his playstyle is (a lot of hard reads, has mindgames, but he can also be gimmicky) but that's not to say that you shouldn't watch him and take notes even if some of the stuff he does won't make sense lol.

Last edited:

kyaputenfarukon07

Smash Journeyman
Also at the time he took a set off Mangos fox and then was at the top of norcal for awhile

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
SS was one of the original members of DBR and widely regarded as one of the best falcons ever. He was quite a big deal well before the Wombo Combo. Some of his nastiest combos involve west coast DI (a term coined, in part, by players pointing out that a lot of his combos wouldn't work against players with better DI), but he's still very much high level.

Watch wizzy, gahtzu, gravy, n0ne, s2j, darkrain, mango's falcon, westballz's falcon, etc. You can learn food things from all of them. Remember, videos only capture the tip of the iceberg, as far as the information it gives you on a player. Might as well watch everything you can (don't be one of those guys that judges a player off one tournament/one set) and ask questions if you don't understand their decision making.

Last edited:

drunkkunmonkey

Smash Cadet
I played melee from jan07-jan08 before quitting until summer 2014. When I was on the way out of melee SS was untouchable in NorCal. I remember he was ranked 0. At the time when mang0 switched to Falco he was the only one to even put a dent in him losing a GF tournament set 3-2. It was very unfortunate that SS got GodLike after MLG era, but he will always be a falcon legend. His combo game on spacies was amazing at the time, but his neutral game and movement in those old videos is still pretty good till this day

Top Bottom