• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What kind of game do you play?

ynglink

Smash Rookie
NNID
ynglink
First and foremost, I do not have as much experience playing Project M as most of you guys do (only 4 or 5 times now), but when you play with Sonic, are you more air game or ground game? I realize that he has a very good ground game, but when I first started playing with him, I noticed he has a decently strong air game with spin dashes into juggles and what not. So what do you play, or do you mix it up based off the match-up? Which matches does the air game take precedence in?

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
It's important to consider the matchup when deciding how to play. Certain matchups like Marth and Luigi call for defensive play whereas other matchups like DeDeDe and Falcon can be played aggressively.

ynglink

Smash Rookie
NNID
ynglink
I tend to play him pretty aggressively until I know how my opponent is playing. Until I figure out the matchups overall though, I feel like I kinda have to do that.

Vino.

Been Vino since 2007
Just as starseeker said it is match up dependent. Against marth and such he has tons of moves that lag if he messed up that allows you to get in and mess him up, but if you play aggressive he can just wreck you. You play certain match ups very aggressively and then other more with using the amazing mobility sonic has, and dance around the other person until they mess up.

ynglink

Smash Rookie
NNID
ynglink
I realize that. I was playing against Wolf last night for example and it was a little tricky getting in since a lot of Wolf's attacks have an extra range to get into. So I ended up having to change my style up in a way to approach differently and to read against his spikes.

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
I play Sonic VERY aggressively, I realised after my 2nd tournament after getting single handedly knocked out by 2 Mario mains, that I shouldnt be doing that in certain MUs and I then learned how to cancel his spindash on charge and during motion. So I could then set up a good bait/defense game.

Simmonick

Smash Cadet
First and foremost, I do not have as much experience playing Project M as most of you guys do (only 4 or 5 times now), but when you play with Sonic, are you more air game or ground game? I realize that he has a very good ground game, but when I first started playing with him, I noticed he has a decently strong air game with spin dashes into juggles and what not. So what do you play, or do you mix it up based off the match-up? Which matches does the air game take precedence in?
It depends. His ground game kind of merges with his air-game too... I find success alternating, but I try to always be on the offense. Though I think that it is really not a good way to play for some match-ups I.e. Mario, falco

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
Mostly depends on my state of mind. Normally I kinda play a mix of offensive and defensive, but when I'm annoyed I'm pure offensive which obviously is never a good thing.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
Mostly depends on my state of mind. Normally I kinda play a mix of offensive and defensive, but when I'm annoyed I'm pure offensive which obviously is never a good thing.
Pure offensive is kind of a good thing like I almost always aggressive its just sometimes I go to deep sometimes.

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
Pure offensive is kind of a good thing like I almost always aggressive its just sometimes I go to deep sometimes.
Depending on the character you're fighting and the skill-level of the other player. In my case my agressiveness stems from me being annoyed, thus [insert the multitude of mistakes I make here]

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
Depending on the character you're fighting and the skill-level of the other player. In my case my agressiveness stems from me being annoyed, thus [insert the multitude of mistakes I make here]
Your right my friend which is why I have trouble against Toon Link and Luigi to hard being defensive

Last edited:
Top Bottom