• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is your experience with tournaments?

holymario

Smash Apprentice
Mine always go like this: Hope to find a 1vs1 for glory tournament which isn't full. Wait 30 minutes for the tournament begin. Start playing and continue playing until you find an enemy that lags and makes it impossible to fight. Hard to fight with in a diashow or when It stutters now and then when I want to recover (but then instead fast fall into death because I couldn't to anything) Or my favorite the 1 second input lag... Every tournament I found one player that lags. unfortunatly always first or second round. I guess I go back to for glory where I can play instantly and leave if it lags and don't have to wait 30 minutes to play again. My connection is fine and can't be the problem when the only thing that uses the interenet is smash.

S.O.D.

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
Womb#406
For me it's try to find 1v1 for glory tourney, wait 30 minutes, get booted before it starts

leesinger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yolo-swag420T.T
This has got to be the biggest ****up I've seen in a long time in any fighting game franchise. How hard is it to implement a 1v1 fighting system in a tournament mode or at least allow the players to choose to do so. Like seriously wtf was Sakurai thinking.

holymario

Smash Apprentice
This has got to be the biggest ****up I've seen in a long time in any fighting game franchise. How hard is it to implement a 1v1 fighting system in a tournament mode or at least allow the players to choose to do so. Like seriously wtf was Sakurai thinking.
Idk I would like to hear a statement from him why he didn't implement this. I also can't understand why there is no offline Tournament mode. Its not like its needed or even good for local tournaments but I really liked to just make a 64 tournament with random characters and then me and my friend play against each other with random characters in a tournament

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
Pretty terrible. All the tourneys I want to play in are full or an hour away. The entire system is baffling at best and the community tourneys are terribly designed with no 1v1 and having to wait 2 minutes just for someone to join the 4th spot. Wait times are way too long and tourneys have terrible rules like random stage selection, equipment on, and single elimination. This new mode is almost as atrocious as smash tour.

SkyboundTerror

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SkyboundTerror
3DS FC
0559-6972-5367
It' enjoyable when a tournament starts, though that can quickly change. Wait times are too long for what you get, and the rules are faulty to the point where many players time out matches rather than finishing off opponents, at least in 1 on 1s.

Free-for-all tournaments can be fun, but this really is no different than playing on For Fun or For Glory. At least there, you don't have to wait half an hour just to get one match.

misterOWAIN33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MR_FA1L
3DS FC
2294-5361-2433
I'm pretty much done with regular tourneys because once I waited forever for one to start, started surfing YouTube, and missed my match by five minutes because I misjudged my timing.
:mad:

Danthedude

Smash Rookie
Pretty terrible. All the tourneys I want to play in are full or an hour away. The entire system is baffling at best and the community tourneys are terribly designed with no 1v1 and having to wait 2 minutes just for someone to join the 4th spot. Wait times are way too long and tourneys have terrible rules like random stage selection, equipment on, and single elimination. This new mode is almost as atrocious as smash tour.
Ditto. Best time to play is at 3 am cause the wait times are about 20 min. And, frankly that's the best it's going to get. My experience has been well, except the wait times suck! 40-45 minutes to play one tournament is ridiculous!

They should've made it to where the tournament starts as soon as the lobby is all booked.

Last edited:

ElDood

Smash Cadet
I entered one actual 64 man tourney, won, and at the end of the match it said I automatically forfeited due to a time out or something.

I'm still pissed.

Vivillon32238

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0963-0482-8078
My first experience with it was yesterday. All the 1v1 tournaments were full, so I decided to enter a customs 1v1 tournament. I beat my first two opponents, they were playing fair, only using custom moves and not janky equipment just like me. My third opponent was a villager that used trip tree and pushy lloid customs. With 2% healing every couple seconds. I lost. I guess you could say I shouldn't be complaining cause its allowed, but its still infuriating.

Top Bottom