• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is your button layout for TL?

daytimeninja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gavgrego
Hey guys. I'm new to TL and was having trouble SHDA. I set L to jump, and I can seem to do it a little easier. I was just wondering what you guys think the best button layout is for TL.

thanks

Ethan

Smash Cadet
My layout (probably a pretty bad one, but it works for me), is a totally normal one, except tap up doesn't jump, and X is set to special move. That way, you can slide your finger from Y to X to short hop arrow. Although with a little practice, going from Y to B isn't terrible. L to jump sounds like it could be a good idea too.

the wet mop

Smash Rookie
i dont have a specific TL set. i use standard controls. i have c-stick set for specials for RARing and tap jump off for u-tilts.

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
B-Stick, Tap jump off, Z to attack, L to grab. I shield with R which is eh unusual around here probably.

I'll consider setting X to special, so I can SHDA easier. I basically never touch that button anyways.

JakeTL

Smash Cadet
Default but.. Tap jump off, c is attack or special usually... cant decide between bstick or retreating arials 0.o

Robiin

Smash Cadet
I have three schemes..
Toon Link: Tap jump off, Y special.
Lucas: L to jump & B-stick, so I can Zap Jump easily.. Tap jump off.
Everyone else: Tap jump off, Y grab.

Fire52388

Smash Cadet
UPDATE: haha, I've now started using the c-stick set to specials for auto-RARing. I may switch the z trigger to attack as well to help with RAR b-airs

Super_Nostalgic

Smash Apprentice
Tap Jump: Off
Z and/or L: Jump (I think I came up with this, never saw it mentioned before I did *me praising myself*)
C-Stick: Specials
Y: Grabs (Had to tether recover somehow)

Everything else is default

ToonLink81

Smash Rookie
mine is set to the defualt, i jump with the left analog stick mainly becouse when i was little and played the first smash bros. i used it and i just carried with me. But i wanna get better. will puting the tap jump off really help?

Fire52388

Smash Cadet
Taking off tap to jump allows you to short hop, or at least do so much more easily. It also allows you to actually use your up tilt. It's pretty hard to up tilt with tap to jump on. These are just a few of the advantages but the short answer is yes, it will improve your game.

MysticalBanana

Smash Rookie
I turned off tap jump and changed Y to special (to SHDA). I find turning tap off really improved my game because I'm able to use tilts more consistently. I didn't play melee much (only with friends, I don't own a copy), so I didn't get much practice...

PXG

Smash Journeyman
Believe me. Default is the way to go. B-sticking is unnecessary. Also, you cannot up B out of a shield if you turn off tap jump. Don't assume that all of this fancy AT bull**** will make you a better player. Just stick with the basic setup. Trust me people. I suggest perfecting short hopping, fast falling, DIing, knowing dodge frames and usage of this aerials and smashes. THAT will ensure victory, not some weird *** control scheme.

Top Bottom