• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is with kirbys short hop?

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
I am a kirby player and i am triing to learn to shoirt hop with him. I can do it with any other character but it is really hard to do with kirby. Why?

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
Fox is the toughest, but Kirby is pretty tough as well. I think to SH you need to depress the jump button for half or less of the frames it takes the character to leave the ground. Kirby jumps quickly I guess.

I know Fox jumps in 4 frames. That means you can only have the jump button depressed for 2 frames... or one.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Kirby plays quite a bit slower as well, and doesn't rely on a rhythmic shffl, so you might be having problems with that.

For shorthops, you just have to release the button a frame before they get in the air. Fox is airborne on frame four, so you have to release on frame 2 so it will register for frame 3 and you'll shorthop. I think Kirby is just one frame slower.

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
Kirby plays quite a bit slower as well, and doesn't rely on a rhythmic shffl, so you might be having problems with that.

For shorthops, you just have to release the button a frame before they get in the air. Fox is airborne on frame four, so you have to release on frame 2 so it will register for frame 3 and you'll shorthop. I think Kirby is just one frame slower.
Ahh. I just read that Fox took 4 and you had to let go by 2. This makes more sense.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
Doesn't Kirby have the same short hop frames as Fox? I may be mistaken, but I remember something like that when reading Mew2Kings huge stats page. (Took a good hour and a half to read. :laugh:)

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Kirby's jumping animation is 4 Frames - same as Fox. I know this because he fires Fox Lasers with the same timing.

For some reason, I picked up on Fox's Short Hop almost immediately but found Kirby's harder. It might be because I started with Kirby, and when I started playing around with Fox I had already practiced with a "hard" short-hopper.

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
What button do you normally press to do it, x or up on the control stick. I am starting to get the hang of it with x.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I originally used X for everything - remnants of the c-buttons on the N64 controller to jump probably. Recently I've been using Y because it's closer to the B-button.

The difference between X and Y is probably minimal for Kirby players, but I like to play many other characters as well. I never use the control stick for short hops though... unless I'm fooling around or just practicing it for no reason at all.

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
I've got it down now andi checked on your competetive kirby guide, saw the drills you gave and tryied them. The tips in there are very useful.

Top Bottom