• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is Wario's neutral game like?

AceStarThe3rd

SmashTuber
NNID
AceStarThe3rd2
I'm trying to learn Wario because I'm starting to see that he can reset the neutral very easily, but I don't know what the neutral is supposed to consist of.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
f-air f-air f-air f-air oh look they're blocking chomp f-air and then waft

SoundChow

Smash Apprentice
Well spaced sh-nairs with the second hit launching them up for a bair/u-air/fair follow-up. Walls of full-hop fair for chip damage and shield pressure. Also short hop feints, which baits out shield and then going for bites.

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
While most of Wario's neutral has been stated here (fairs, building waft), I do like grabbing the bike and throwing it at the opponent if they let you. Just don't do this against Villager.

Adrian Marin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5000-2987-6227
Retreating Bair is another potent spacing option of Wario's arsenal. Against many characters, Wario's bike is very reliable. It can tech chase, start combos, and other interesting things. The key is to use it to bait opposers attempting to abuse landing lag at the right moment.

crocaturtle

Smash Cadet
NNID
crocaturtle
Warning Received
At low percents up throw up b works...try and incorporate this mix up cause being unpredictable is warios special-t

Also when u hit them with the bike...as soon as u hit them do a wheelie and it will do two hits that do 18 to 19 damage...u have to stay on the bike whilst doing this

Some other kill moves than his f throw are the clap which kills light characters at around 125 and heavy characters at around 145.try and empty hop to force an air dodge and this will work...when the weelie comes down on the bike it can break sheilds and kill and around 80..u smash kills but u need a reak of frame trap empty hop usualy to connect it kills at 115 to 125 his d air ofstage is another kill move...ledge trump to b air kills..surprisingly f air kills at 150 ofstage

To be proficient at wario play I need to be realy good with the game mechanics and advanced techniques..because he is a hard character to pick up..the reason many ppl don't play him is because he is very hard to learn...but the reason some of us choose that path less chosen is to get waft kills at 30 to 50...yea boiiii

Last edited by a moderator:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I think the big thing about Wario is that is pretty (seemingly) one dimensional carefully position yourself with f-airs and bike and punish shield with chomp until you get a half charge then you can push for a waft read.

It's very interesting how small Wario's advantage and disadvantage states are though.

YouReadMyName

Smash Cadet
I like to play wario VERY defensive, as that's what I think his niche is. Sending out bikes to poke ( side b then jump off and reset to neutral). If they run up retreat fair or advance fair or vice versa with the chomp. Just remember you can camp with wario because every second is another to full waft.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
What sets Wario apart from other viable characters is that he doesn't just excel at defensive play; Wario gets rewarded for it.

His neutral is somewhat lacking but it's also pretty safe. I feel like you have to work harder to really gain momentum but Wario is great at resetting and alleviating pressure when things get hairy.

I typically spend a lot of time spacing aerials and seeing how they respond to my midrange pressure. Once I've spotted habits, I begin adjusting my usage of aerials to fit my opponent's responses. Every single aerial of his is useful. Nair and Fair set up for other aerials. Fair provides excellent coverage and is useful when cross ups. Bair is a great walling tool. Up Air is nice, quick damage. Chomp is still really good. Bike is also very useful. F Tilt is a useful mixup for spacing. Down Tilt does a long way into keeping him safe on the ground. Stuffs a lot of would be approaches.

At the end of the day, Wario feels kind of flowchart because my goal is to land a Waft. I personally slow down the pace of the match so I can analyze how to accomplish this. Wario is weird. Its funny how his tools all focus around this too. I feel like I'm playing chess when I play as Wario. He's a thinking man's character essentially.

Last edited:

Zorai

Smash Journeyman
NNID
x_Zorai
At the end of the day, Wario feels kind of flowchart because my goal is to land a Waft. I personally slow down the pace of the match so I can analyze how to accomplish this. Wario is weird. Its funny how his tools all focus around this too. I feel like I'm playing chess when I play as Wario. He's a thinking man's character essentially.
The only problem I have with this is you can't bank on the waft so much. I mean yeah it's critical, especially your first 1 minute waft since it kills at 70%, so you can afford a few ****-ups during your first stock, but you have to be ready for worst case scenario when you pick Wario. He's a situational pick because he can get shutdown.

Most of the time analyzing patterns doesn't really help you land a waft unless you're REALLY good at seeing through that kind of stuff. I land most of my wafts either out of shield against any of their moves (I've even done this against sheik's fair, also rose waft is basically impossible to miss out of shield), at the ledge with my bike, or out of an airdodge bait.

Overall, I agree that Wario's neutral is extremely strong because he's essentially pressuring you by not pressuring you. And once you commit to going in on him, he has the tools to either counter you or reset to neutral. Wario's aerial mobility is his single strongest asset in the neutral.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Waft is my goal but not my end all and it never should be. Wario has a buttload of strong kill moves outside of Waft.

And honestly, I get more Wafts off hard reads then I do punishes. But my reading abilities have always been much stronger than my overall punish game. It's not difficult to get a waft through analyzing when you condition and slow down the pace of the match. But each player is different. I merely speak for myself.

Top Bottom