• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is the trick to get a grapple to grab the ledge instead of jumping over it?

Seal

Smash Journeyman
Do you mean hitting the ledge with the tether part of the grapple?

Corigames

Smash Hero
You have to sweet spot the ledge with the grapple. It's just hard to do and particularly touchy on BF and FoD.

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
You have to sweet spot the ledge with the grapple. It's just hard to do and particularly touchy on BF and FoD.
FoD personally doesn't seem too hard. Battlefield is kind of like an oreo cookie. You have to aim for the cookie and not the cream.

Litt

Samus
Thanks for the input Barbs!
its simple trial and error, you hit a spot and it doesnt sweet spot when you reel in, it means that spot was either too high or too low, go into ****ing training mode slow it down to a speed you are comfortable with and just aim and shoot... not that damn hard nor should you make a post telling everyone just how incompetent you are

HE WANTED TO KNOW THE TRICK... THE TRICK IS PRACTICE AND AIM

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
He probably didn't know about sweetspotting. Don't be so passive-aggressive yo.
Sweetspotting is a concept that is common sense learned through trial and error, one only has to know that one can grapple the ledge and it reeling back in to understand the concept which @ S Shadoninja clearly demonstrated by asking the aformentioned quesiton

Shadoninja

Smash Cadet
Thanks for sticking up for me, Mervis. Not sure why this other guys is being such a douche lol.

Litt

Samus
Yeah sorry. Barbie is always like that. He should really learn to be a lot nicer.
There is a difference between lack of giving it a real try to figure it out yourself, and being a lazy dumbass and asking a very simple question. I don't reward laziness nor stupidity :/ I don't care to be nice to lazy or dumb people Meh guess im the dumb one

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
There is a difference between lack of giving it a real try to figure it out yourself, and being a lazy ******* and asking a very simple question. I don't reward laziness nor stupidity :/ I don't care to be nice to lazy or dumb people Meh guess im the dumb one
Then don't say anything. You go out of your way to be a jerk and it really lowers everyone's opinion of you.

Litt

Samus
Warning Received
Then don't say anything. You go out of your way to be a jerk and it really lowers everyone's opinion of you.
I go out of my way to give the realistic view of a situation. The kid clearly didnt try, and instead of coddling him, I am going to tell him how it is.

Last edited:

Shadoninja

Smash Cadet
I go out of my way to give the realistic view of a situation. The kid clearly didnt try, and instead of coddling him, I am going to tell him how it is.
When there is something as complicated as the gentleman on Falcon, it amazes me that you attack newer players when they are curious if there are subtle tricks to other game mechanics.

Spazzy

Smash Apprentice
I have a question adding to this topic, I see players like jump while they grapple and they go up above the ledge while the grapple sweet spots. Do all you have to do for that is just jump right before you grapple?

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
I have a question adding to this topic, I see players like jump while they grapple and they go up above the ledge while the grapple sweet spots. Do all you have to do for that is just jump right before you grapple?
The only way you can rise above the edge is if you miss the sweet spot. The only other thing I can think of is wall jumping off the grapple.

Smash Journeyman
if you sweetspot but someone is occupying the ledge, you also pop up

sexpaint

Smash Rookie
if you airdodge upwards just before using the grapple you will rise up quickly and in my experience increase your chances of sweetspotting the ledge

Smash Journeyman
ah yes, rising grapple for some reason seems to help your sweetspotting chances

Litt

Samus
When there is something as complicated as the gentleman on Falcon, it amazes me that you attack newer players when they are curious if there are subtle tricks to other game mechanics.
Types in google, tricks to gentleman falcon, or how to not rapid jab with falcon... pretty much this info is easily accessible isnt hidden anywhere and any half assed attempt to look would provide the fruit for your labor. Also doing your due diligence and reading over the falcon boards before posting and making yourself look like a scrub... noob... ect... is certainly helpful in answering any question you may have about the character without wasting other peoples time. So no bruh, its not complicated just put in SOME IF ANY WORK TO FIND WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR OR JUST TRY IT OUT IN GAME... if you can do that, I will never insult you. But it is clear when someone does not do this, and they get insulted for not even giving it a real go. There is also a faulty assumption on the person that created the post... what is the trick?... that assumes there is a trick and he just cant figure it out... perhaps... is there a trick or at face value I just gotta aim this grapple beam to sweet spot? A or B... I did the due dilligance and figured out I sweet spot sometimes, but others I just miss, is there a trick or do I just need to practice... Answer practice... good job you half figured it out by... uh... not being a lazy crap and just applying yourself.

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
Litt Litt
Why do you even care if people ask questions on the boards? They are actually dead until someone decides to ask 1 simple question. Instead of being happy that there is community interaction, you act like a chained up dog and bark at people until they stop posting. Then the boards go dead for weeks. Rinse repeat. You not replying to anything makes the Samus boards increase in quality.

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
Litt Litt
You not replying to anything makes the Samus boards increase in quality.
"I've been reading through the boards lately and I noticed two things about KLit.
1: He almost single-handedly revived the Samus boards. No one was posting before he got on.
2: Despite reviving the Samus boards he's the most hated person on them.

KLit I know how you feel when you see an inexperienced player say something that is just straight up wrong. I just think "Really? you can't seriously be that bad" (yes I'm kind of cruel on the inside) but SAYING "No, you're wrong and bad" to a new player isn't helping anything. Doesn't help you, and only hurts their motivation to get better by asking questions on smashboards. If I were a new player and I asked some silly question like "Why don't Samus players use up-smash when Fox down-airs"? And immediately got berated for my ignorance I would probably never post again.
You bring good information to smashboards and that's what these forums are all about, but please ease up with the unnecessarily mean comments.

#6061Pluplue, Apr 2, 2014"

I have curved my comments from unnecessarily mean to just mean in the correct places, I call out not trying, laziness and occasionally ignorance. You on the other hand Mervis has never contributed anything to the quality of these boards but rather have just been a mediocre complainer from day 1. Ya I'm a ****, but what I do makes a difference.

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
But you haven't "curved your comments". You still leave 90% of the users with a bad taste in their mouths. The point of the boards is to bring Samus players together. Not call out their mistakes. There's a million better information sources that provide new players with correct and accurate data. New players get on the Samus boards nowadays (myself included) to give themselves a sense of community. Stop being an elitist man. Why can't you just talk to people instead of being an egotistical maniac?

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
But you haven't "curved your comments". You still leave 90% of the users with a bad taste in their mouths. The point of the boards is to bring Samus players together. Not call out their mistakes. There's a million better information sources that provide new players with correct and accurate data. New players get on the Samus boards nowadays (myself included) to give themselves a sense of community. Stop being an elitist man. Why can't you just talk to people instead of being an egotistical maniac?
The point of the boards... is not to bring Samus players together. The point of the boards is left up to the players given the constraints of the mods. Personally I think it is a place where information can be exchanged about the character and feelings of players should be left at home which is a clear conflict in purpose and its no surprise we do not see eye to eye. A. Flat out wrong there are not many samus guides out there and most of her information is scattered throughout these boards. B. Honestly these boards are not used as a social which is very clear why I do not like you now, also why you believe you are entitled to be treated with respect even after saying stupid ****. Why don't you just take this game seriously instead of screwing around and babying others on here. ANNDDD C. perhaps its not me being elitist but instead you being too social in an inappropriate place. Go on melee facebook groups, hell make one for samus if you want to just chat and shoot the ****, they are a way better social hub than this, melee social, melee hell. Go and have fun instead of being here

Last edited:

Shadoninja

Smash Cadet
The point of the boards... is not to bring Samus players together. The point of the boards is left up to the players given the constraints of the mods. Personally I think it is a place where information can be exchanged about the character and feelings of players should be left at home which is a clear conflict in purpose and its no surprise we do not see eye to eye. A. Flat out wrong there are not many samus guides out there and most of her information is scattered throughout these boards. B. Honestly these boards are not used as a social which is very clear why I do not like you now, also why you believe you are entitled to be treated with respect even after saying stupid ****. Why don't you just take this game seriously instead of screwing around and babying others on here. ANNDDD C. perhaps its not me being elitist but instead you being too social in an inappropriate place. Go on melee facebook groups, hell make one for samus if you want to just chat and shoot the ****, they are a way better social hub than this, melee social, melee hell. Go and have fun instead of being here
You have problems.

Litt

Samus
Well at least you admit it. Admitting it is the first step!
I admit nothing... but we all have problems tbh
I simply stated that in general it is not wise to start something with someone you already believe to have issues and that if you choose to start something with them regardless of this prior conceptualization of that individual having issues... then... you yourself most likely have issues as well...

Last edited:

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
I admit nothing... but we all have problems tbh

I simply stated that in general it is not wise to start something with someone you already believe to have issues and that if you choose to start something with them regardless of this prior conceptualization of that individual having issues... then... you yourself most likely have issues as well...
This is just my experience, but I am thinking about getting into Samus, and I knew this even before I looked into Samus. There's nothing wrong with not knowing this, but I think this info is readily available on Google, and a thread isn't wholely necessary.

Top Bottom