• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is the Role of the Press/Media?

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
With the unraveling of the Colorado Planned Parenthood shooter recently, it has sent me thinking, what is really the role of the media, press, news, whatever you want to call it, its all part of the same medium. People who look at the mug shots of the Colorado shooter would instantly see he looks like a lunatic. But should the media be able to release a shooters identity and picture without a full investigation?

To capitalize on shocking information to receive more subscriptions, ratings, or views? How far is too far, when is it crossing the line, when the press exploits these atrocities? To a lesser extent of such events, just local events that take place in the paper, I firmly believe both the suspects and victims names should be withheld. It is a intrusion of an individuals right to privacy to publish any name, address, or location without that individuals consent.
It should merely stay as a "male at this age did this and this." Nothing more is necessary.
Tell me what you think.

What is the genuine role of the press?
and
When do you think the press is going too far?

And yes, Fox News is part of the media. They can claim they're not, but they are.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
To me, the media, especially the big name news reporting channels, are more unreliable than ever. For example, a friend of mine talked to me about the shooting that happened at San Bernandino, California. CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News all reported that it was an ISIS attack with no real evidence. They are instilling unnecessary fear and hatred. And they are successful because of the people that do not know any better.

The media does what it does to attract your attention, not to report news. Why are the big headlines always something depressing and serious? They abuse the fact human nature is much more attentive to negativity, and it makes me sick.

Last edited:

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News all reported that it was an ISIS attack with no real evidence.
They never said that. Lol

They mentioned that the couple were Muslim, but never said it was an ISIS attack.

The couple could have been inspired by ISIS tho... Could have...

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
They never said that. Lol

They mentioned that the couple were Muslim, but never said it was an ISIS attack.

The couple could have been inspired by ISIS tho... Could have...
It's a big could, though. And they were quick as hell to report that they were Muslim. So what if it was a Christian couple? They won't report that, because there's no need to. Why the need to report that they were Muslim at all? Why not just call them terrorists?

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
And they were quick as hell to report that they were Muslim.
That's because that's what they found out, from local sources.

Why the need to report that they were Muslim at all? Why not just call them terrorists?
Because no one knows if terrorism was their true motive. Law enforcement still figuring it out.

So what if it was a Christian couple? They won't report that, because there's no need to.
True, and there's no reason too. Because no one knows their motive yet.

The only thing people know was that the husband worked there, he got piss over something (no one knows what it is yet). Went home, got wife, then came back with guns.

Does their religion have something to do with what happened? Maybe? Maybe not... The media just going off from what they know.

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Do we seriously still hold new agencies to accuracy on breaking news. Everyone should have figured out by the Boston Bombings at least that the news is just currently created to grab the most viewers, not necessarily the most astute viewers. Accuracy in information is only like a secondary tier concern when it comes to reporting correct information because the primary trend among viewers is to frequent the stations that give them the news they want to hear.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Lol

Where you hear that?
Its not hard to see. Fox News is part of the media. You get Fox News when you get Comcast or DirecTV, right? You also get ABC News and MSNBC when you get hose providers, right? Fox is no different (and I'm not talking about Fox McCloud, he's smarter than Hannity). I remember getting into a quarrel about that with my dad once. "It's not part of the mainstream media" he claimed. Ahem, I don't see Fox News as a biproduct of WikiLeaks now, am I? Or a outlet devised from the deep web either.

Fox News is part of the media, and its foolish for the hosts and commentators to say anything different. The evidence is clear as daylight on this one, and knocks out any Fox News loyalists arguments its not.

Its saying something when Rachel Maddow, let alone Chris Matthews makes more sense than Bill O'Reily, and his suckup Jesse Watters.
There is a huge conservative bias that is rancid on just about every Fox News show broadcast.

Also, while I'm thinking about it, you know how Fox News says they are "Fair and Balanced?" Uh no, sorry Charlie but you're wrong on that. Who does Fox have on mostly? Republicans. Who makes up the majority of Fox's hosts and commentators? Republicans. Seeing a pattern here? With the exception of Hardball, I haven't seen any other show where the hosts continuously interrupt their guests with conflicting views night after night, like on Hannity, The Kelly File, and The O'Reily Factor. Guess who gave Trumpy all the exposure he needed politically, and continues to do so? Fox.

Okay, rant over.

Aside from that, its really difficult to get the true authenticity of the news unless you were at the event yourself, and you had accurate witness accounts for everything your eyes laid on. Its a mixture of being truly sad and pathetic when networks put ratings in front of reporting real news. Sickening, really. That's not what they were found for.

Alienz_King

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dman10063
3DS FC
2122-8341-7625
I think that the true, genuine purpose of the media is to present an unbiased look at all the of the day, whether it be local news, national news, or international news. I think the media needs to be unbiased because once they become biased, they start to skew the news to suit their political ideas. And that is exactly what they do now. I think the point where the media goes to far is with bias. I say that because you can be watching one news channel, and they could be blaming a shooting based on race and gun violence, and if you were to change the channel to another news network, they could be blaming a shooting on a completely separate set of things.

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
Its not hard to see. Fox News is part of the media. You get Fox News when you get Comcast or DirecTV, right? You also get ABC News and MSNBC when you get hose providers, right? Fox is no different (and I'm not talking about Fox McCloud, he's smarter than Hannity). I remember getting into a quarrel about that with my dad once. "It's not part of the mainstream media" he claimed. Ahem, I don't see Fox News as a biproduct of WikiLeaks now, am I? Or a outlet devised from the deep web either.

Fox News is part of the media, and its foolish for the hosts and commentators to say anything different. The evidence is clear as daylight on this one, and knocks out any Fox News loyalists arguments its not.

Its saying something when Rachel Maddow, let alone Chris Matthews makes more sense than Bill O'Reily, and his suckup Jesse Watters.
There is a huge conservative bias that is rancid on just about every Fox News show broadcast.

Also, while I'm thinking about it, you know how Fox News says they are "Fair and Balanced?" Uh no, sorry Charlie but you're wrong on that. Who does Fox have on mostly? Republicans. Who makes up the majority of Fox's hosts and commentators? Republicans. Seeing a pattern here? With the exception of Hardball, I haven't seen any other show where the hosts continuously interrupt their guests with conflicting views night after night, like on Hannity, The Kelly File, and The O'Reily Factor. Guess who gave Trumpy all the exposure he needed politically, and continues to do so? Fox.

Okay, rant over.

Aside from that, its really difficult to get the true authenticity of the news unless you were at the event yourself, and you had accurate witness accounts for everything your eyes laid on. Its a mixture of being truly sad and pathetic when networks put ratings in front of reporting real news. Sickening, really. That's not what they were found for.
That aint what im talking about. Lol

What I mean is, when did they ever say they werent part of the media?

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
That aint what im talking about. Lol

What I mean is, when did they ever say they werent part of the media?
They reference to it all the time. You'll hear commentators say, "In the media..." or "The media is doing this. and that." They seem to give off the impression they are outsiders, which they are not. Or try to do so. While some other stations might have a liberal bent to them, just because Fox News has a heavily evident conservative bias to them, does not deem them as "outsiders."

Last edited:

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
They reference to it all the time. You'll hear commentators say, "In the media..." or "The media is doing this. and that." They seem to give off the impression they are outsiders, which they are not. Or try to do so.
I think all news does that, I remember CNN mentioning "the media" a few times.

When they mention the "media", they usually talking about the media in general like Facebook, Twitter, cable news, etc.

I doubt Fox News does that to give off any impression that they ain't part of the media. Lol

They probably mention the "liberal media" (I've heard people say that before). Is that what you're referring to?

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Point blank, without sugar-coating everything: the media as we knew it is falling apart, because it has always and continues to try to subjectively sway the minds of its masses. However, through the internet (which also sadly contains subjective material at any given corner) we have more ready access to less subjective data, since we have more sources, more points of view on the same topics, than ever before. The old media is desperate to keep its foothold because it used to have a monopoly on feeding the minds of the people, and now that we have the opportunity to find more sources, find more viewpoints, access more opinions, discuss more openly and with more people from all over the world, it is very clear: the media is fabrication to make you fear, to make you hate, and to make you misunderstand.

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Point blank, without sugar-coating everything: the media as we knew it is falling apart, because it has always and continues to try to subjectively sway the minds of its masses. However, through the internet (which also sadly contains subjective material at any given corner) we have more ready access to less subjective data, since we have more sources, more points of view on the same topics, than ever before. The old media is desperate to keep its foothold because it used to have a monopoly on feeding the minds of the people, and now that we have the opportunity to find more sources, find more viewpoints, access more opinions, discuss more openly and with more people from all over the world, it is very clear: the media is fabrication to make you fear, to make you hate, and to make you misunderstand.
Feardom of the press.

DraconicPsycho

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DraconicPsycho
I think that, most of the time, they are trying to make sure people feel safe. if they were to disclose names, somebody might be watching and be like, "oh my god that was my old college roommate" and, because of that sadness, he would become an alcoholic and kill a family of 4 in a drunk driving accident. but if they didn't disclose any names, none of that would happen. of course, thats just my sick imagination of the absolute worst.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Feardom of the press.
Needs to have its limits. They aren't even trying to report the truth or anything that benefits society. They pick and choose what to tell the audience to get them riled up so they keep watching and get more views.

They care about getting money. They don't care if people are being killed because of their careless practices. I believe people should be allowed to speak their mind however this idiotic bull**** the media has become has to stop.

The media should be completely unbiased in their reporting. They should treat everything the same way. "The couple was Muslim" is such a load of horse ****! They are putting the other Muslims who aren't commiting crimes in a negative light.

The dumb***es don't care if society is racists or bigotted (is this a word? W/e you get my point.). They don't care if young males are out for police blood for all these "White cop kills black male" stories they keep hearing.

Ferguson could have been completely avoided had the media reported what they knew without blatantly TRYING to make the audience see racism.

The freedom of speech is very important but when it puts lives at risk it needs filtering.

Kritzkrieg

Smash Cadet
I feel like the media is just there to distract and mislead the population. Although if I had the power to stop it, I wouldn't. I feel like I would enjoy just watching them and the people they're trying to control.

Gamerz31w

Smash Cadet
They are so excited about RFID Technology.They will aprretiate being victims of this innovative gadget.

Top Bottom