• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is the point of feminism?

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
So why isn't there "masculinism" too? It's high time that courts stop favoring mothers in divorce cases by default and stop letting women get off the hook more easily for criminal offenses.
Well, there are Men's Rights Activists (MRAs) but, imo, they're just GamerGate on a larger scale, which means they're **** squared.

Anyhoo, you're right, those are huge issues. Did you know that about 82% of women receive custody of the children? Mind-boggling I know! But did you also know that 51% of these decisions were agreed upon by both parents before the courts decision? Did you know that another 29% was done with no third party involvement? Did you know that another 11% was made during mediation? Or that another 5% was decided after evaluation? And the biggest part, only 4% are actually decided in court? Wowzers!

Here's a citation!

As for getting off easier on crime? I'll be honest, not sure what feminists are doing on that, I only ever found one article regarding the issue (though I did find many more that referred to that article). If you could link me to any more, I'd be glad to check them out.

Lol

The wage gap is a complete myth, look it up. Women on average make less than men on average because men, on average, work more than women do. You have to take into account that women make less than men do on average because of several different factors, such as women taking time off of work for maternity leave, women simply not working as many hours as men, etc. It isn't the average women making less than the average man, it is ALL women together, make less than ALL men together.

Do some research. It has been debunked sooo many times.
Then why do women of color make even less? Do they take more maternity leave? Do they work even less hours? Please explain how the wage gap is a myth.

I have no problem with real feminism (not radical feminism) and I hate to be "that guy" but why is it called feminism if it claims to fight for equal rights for both genders, why not call it Equalism?
Radical femnism, as in TERF (Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminism) is definitely dumb. But to answer your question, it's because the problems are disproportionately women.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Forgive me if this sounds racist, because it isn't intended as such, but "women of color", as they are called now as that's what is PC these days, usually have less opportunities to get higher paying jobs because of their living conditions. While it has nothing to do with race, minorities generally are poorer and therefore have less opportunities to get higher paying jobs.

It sucks and it's wrong, I know, but there's your explanation the best I can give.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Forgive me if this sounds racist, because it isn't intended as such, but "women of color", as they are called now as that's what is PC these days, usually have less opportunities to get higher paying jobs because of their living conditions. While it has nothing to do with race, minorities generally are poorer and therefore have less opportunities to get higher paying jobs.

It sucks and it's wrong, I know, but there's your explanation the best I can give.
It's not racist, at least I don't believe so, because on average it's true, people of color in general have less opportunities for higher paying jobs. But this isn't exactly what the wage gap refers to.

Differences in education also don’t explain the full gap, because “many women of color tend to be paid less than their white peers even when they have the same educational background,”
Women in the same jobs and at the same educational level as men still earn less money.
Same jobs, similar education, yet paid less

another article

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Irrelevant. Slavery and racism were separate issues. Being an abolitionist did not automatically mean you were not racist.

I agree though, racism does still persist in society today, just not in the way you're probably thinking.
Yes and no. They're separate issues, but, aside from indentured servants, all slaves were black and being a slave generally meant being seen as less than human. I'd imagine abolitionist at least saw blacks as human.

And in what way does racism exist?

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Yes and no. They're separate issues, but, aside from indentured servants, all slaves were black and being a slave generally meant being seen as less than human. I'd imagine abolitionist at least saw blacks as human.

all slaves were black
Surely you only mean in the US, because every race has been subject to slavery at one point.

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman

False. Irish slaves were bought and sold at the same time too. There were also black slave owners in the US.

The current racism which is most prevalent? Hatred toward whites.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
False. Irish slaves were bought and sold at the same time too. There were also black slave owners.
Today I learned

The current racism which is most prevalent? Hatred toward whites.
This is a joke right? Haha! No? Oh my...

I don't think I can take you seriously when, at least in the western world, whites hold the most power. Actually, I'd even say globally considering globalization generally pushes western ideals.

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
This is a joke right? Haha! No? Oh my...

I don't think I can take you seriously when, at least in the western world, whites hold the most power. Actually, I'd even say globally considering globalization generally pushes western ideals.
Instead of expressing sympathy as is par for the course in response to the plight of any other racial experience, you react with vitriol. Whites are not part of some goddamn borg-mind oppression conspiracy. The fact that I share the same skin colour as Ted Bundy doesn't make me a serial killer. Why do I even have to say this? Indiscriminate categorization according to race is the very definition of racism.

Apparently Barack Obama is just a puppet of the white overlords.

Can you spot the parallels with feminism?

"Western ideals" are not intrinsic to race. You can thank said ideals for practically all modern scientific, technological and medical advances. Good ideas generally stick.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
You're met with vitriol because what you're saying is actually ridiculous. The fact that you share the same skin color as Ted Bundy doesn't mean you're a serial killer, but it does mean you're less likely to be pulled over by a cop.

Did I say all power, or did I say most? Because obviously there are non-whites who hold power, however whites hold THE MOST power and by a very large margin too And that's just politically, then you also have the market, the media, etc.Every one of these things have an influence on what people think and believe and the majority of their power is held by whites.

Never said they were bad, just that they were lead by whites. Although there are bad ideals being pushed around with the good, some very detrimental.

Last edited:

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
You're met with vitriol because what you're saying is actually ridiculous.
Not an argument.

The fact that you share the same skin color as Ted Bundy doesn't mean you're a serial killer, but it does mean you're less likely to be pulled over by a cop.
You missed the point.

...and correlation does not imply causation.

Did I say all power, or did I say most? Because obviously there are non-whites who hold power, however whites hold THE MOST power and by a very large margin too And that's just politically, then you also have the market, the media, etc.Every one of these things have an influence on what people think and believe and the majority of their power is held by whites.
Why must you perpetuate these racist sentiments? Do you even understand what you're trying to justify?

"Whites control society, they want to keep you down, you'll never amount to anything if you play by their rules, don't bother"

GOD-FREAKING-DAMMIT, there's a black president and people still cling to the infantile notion that others are to blame for their own bad decisions. Stop scapegoating white people!! Stop robbing black people of personal responsibility!!

Never said they were bad, just that they were lead by whites. Although there are bad ideals being pushed around with the good, some very detrimental.
Detrimental like black entitlement and white guilt?

Again, the parallels with feminism are uncanny.

Last edited:

AfungusAmongus

Smash Apprentice
I was hoping some feminists would show up! This thread was getting rather circlejerky.

Even in the most advanced countries, women rights are quite recent achievements.
As are men's rights. In the 1970's, as the feminist movement was coalescing, millions of young American men were drafted to fight in Vietnam. As recently as the 1950's, millions of men slaved away, often to their deaths, in gulags (Soviet prison camps).

~~~~

Who wouldn't want to be objectified solely as a sex object? And I sure wish I could get **** threats day-in and day-out. Hell women on average get ***** way more than men, so that's a privilege too right?
Men are objectified as financial objects, valued and used for their resources. Ordinary women don't face daily threats, and the threats they do face are merely variants of the same threats that men face. Victim surveys and prison data suggest that men are 20-50% of **** victims; and men suffer more serious violence overall. You're exaggerating women's problems and ignoring men's equally serious problems.

Do people honestly believe that women are treated better than men in our society? And yes, I am referring to the US and other western civilizations.
Nobody (except maybe FlusteredBat) is claiming that women have it better. But you seem to think that women have it worse, even in the West. Both positions are based on inadequate evidence; I'm agnostic as to which gender has it worse.

Well, there are Men's Rights Activists (MRAs) but, imo, they're just GamerGate on a larger scale, which means they're **** squared.
I'm an MRA. Men face serious gender issues that feminism is unable or unwilling to address, and we MRA's generally reject substantial portions of feminist theory and vocabulary (such as **** culture, patriarchy, manspreading / -splaining, **** victims as "survivors", believing the "victim", "penetration" definition of ****, etc.). But we tend to share your goal of flouting gender roles and promoting sexual liberty, including GLBT equality, and in these areas we want to build on the work of feminists.

But did you also know that 51% of these decisions were agreed upon by both parents before the courts decision? Did you know that another 29% was done with no third party involvement? Did you know that another 11% was made during mediation? Or that another 5% was decided after evaluation? And the biggest part, only 4% are actually decided in court?

As for getting off easier on crime? I'll be honest, not sure what feminists are doing on that, I only ever found one article regarding the issue (though I did find many more that referred to that article). If you could link me to any more, I'd be glad to check them out.
Yes, I'm familiar with the stats. Did you know that women are four times as likely to win sole custody when it is contested in court? Did you know that female-biased courts inevitably cause men to settle for fewer custody and visitation rights outside of court, knowing that they're likely to lose if they contest custody in court? Did you know that women are 39% of divorcing breadwinners but only 3% of alimony payers? Did you know that rationalizing sexism (even against men) contradicts basic feminist principles?

Find a study that controls for education, experience, hours, benefits, industry, etc. and then we can debate how much of the remaining gap is due to employer prejudice. Those feminist articles control for one or two variables and then imply that the rest must be unfair discrimination. Black women suffer from a cycle of poverty (as do black men, generally, and many whites), but overt sexism in academia and the workplace is mostly in their favor ("affirmative action").

Last edited:

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
Real feminism has nothing to do with this silly social media feminism.

The base of the feminism is equal rights for both women and men.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Real feminism has nothing to do with this silly social media feminism.

The base of the feminism is equal rights for both women and men.
No it isn't, that's egalitarianism. Feminism is about women having their rights, not both parties.

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
No it isn't, that's egalitarianism. Feminism is about women having their rights, not both parties.
Well, I am sure the "women can do what men do" philosophy is one of the bases of the feminism, but as I said before I am talking about the origins of the feminism.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Well, I am sure the "women can do what men do" philosophy is one of the bases of the feminism, but as I said before I am talking about the origins of the feminism.
Mhmm, I'm talking about that as well. But what you described (equality for all genders and such) is egalitarianism.

Edit: wait I think I understand what you mean now, but I'm gonna leave this here because people should learn the difference between the two

Last edited:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
J$ feminism is by it's nature, an egalitarian position because it is based on the idea that all people are equal and deserve equal rights, in much the same way the black lives matter movement is premised on the idea all lives matter. It is merely a specific expression of the wider egalitarian philosophy.

Feminism as a philosophy is dedicated to both gender equality equality and gender liberation, this is precisely the reason why modern feminism affiliates so strongly with LGBTQ issues currently.

That said, feminism as a movement is first and foremost a look at the women's end of these issues, this does not deligimatize men's issues it is merely a concentration. Much like black liberation as a movement is not against hispanic liberation intrinsically. Liberation is not a 0 sum game. To explicitly fight for the liberation of one is not to fight against the liberation of another.

Point is, to be a feminist, one must be an egalitarian in the classical sense and specifically an egalitarian in terms of gender issues.

AfungusAmongus AfungusAmongus
One gender's grief will never beget the other's happiness (excluding sociopaths). We rise together, we fall together.
Precisely.

Last edited:

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
In my experience (I'm in the UK), feminism has winded up giving women MORE rights than men, and a lot of prejudice. Woman hits you: no one cares. Man hits back: EvErYoNe Is GoInG mEnTaL. I really don't understand why it exists...

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
In my experience (I'm in the UK), feminism has winded up giving women MORE rights than men, and a lot of prejudice. Woman hits you: no one cares. Man hits back: EvErYoNe Is GoInG mEnTaL. I really don't understand why it exists...
If women have more rights then men that still speaks to persistent gender roles that create practical gender differences and therefore a reason for feminism as well as a complimentary movement aimed at men's gender liberation but not at the expense of women. If you are actually correct the reason for the strength of feminism comes from history. Historically women have been very clearly been deprived of agency and generations of opposition to this would give feminism a much better infrastructure.

At the same time, while I lack the information to know if your assertion is correct due to the UK being a different country and culture, you should consider some things. Remember that how privilege is generally framed is in terms of agency and power, because who has the overall power tends to have the ability to set norms to benefit them (and yes, gender norms benefiting upper class definitely plays into that). Remember also that confirmation bias is a significant issues in these discussions and it is magnified by the fact that the issues one personally faces tends have a magnified presence in one's psyche.

So it's important to ask "who has the power"?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Who are we not allowed to criticize?

Guess what happens to established mainstream journalists who reveal themselves as anti-feminists.
You're mistaking political correctness and social opinions of justice with social power inherent within gender with your comparison. People are quite capable of viewing feminism favorably but carrying on oppressive social norms without examination. The question is more directed at interactions between genders on the macro scale.

Edit: wrong word

Last edited:

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
You're mistaking political correctness and social opinions of justice with social power inherent within gender with your compassion. People are quite capable of viewing feminism favorably but carrying on oppressive social norms without examination. The question is more directed at interactions between genders on the macro scale.
You refuse to answer because you know the answer.

Last edited:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
You refuse to answer because you know the answer.
You mischaracterize, I'm attacking the relevance of the question as an answer to my question. The onus is now on you to defend the idea that a favorable view towards feminism in the aether necessarily means that women have the power in terms of gender relationships.

AfungusAmongus

Smash Apprentice
So it's important to ask "who has the power"?
Politicians are accountable to voters, lobbyists, PACs, the 1%, ... They face pressure from feminists and religious groups but not from MRAs. There simply aren't enough people (yet) who realize that men face gender issues.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Politicians are accountable to voters, lobbyists, PACs, the 1%, ... They face pressure from feminists and religious groups but not from MRAs. There simply aren't enough people (yet) who realize that men face gender issues.
Ah, but does that answer my question?

To say that it does you'd have to:

1. Establish that greater political power of a movement aimed at the liberation of that group necessarily translates into greater social power.

2. Establish that the MRA and feminists are the only groups with skin in the gender issues or that the pull of feminists exceeds the sum influence of all other groups.

AfungusAmongus

Smash Apprentice
Establish that greater political power of a movement aimed at the liberation of that group necessarily translates into greater social power.
The goal of "liberating" women, as though they're slaves, neatly displays the anachronistic presumptions fueling modern Western feminism. And their political power certainly does result in social power: the purpose of politics is to manage society, and if it didn't enable social power then the enormous financial and emotional scope of politics would be a complete mystery. We can see the effects of political groups, including feminists, throughout our institutions and public policies.

Gender roles ("patriarchy") don't empower men; they often limit men's choices and punish them for failing to measure up. They give women our sympathy, which is a subtle form of power (leading to, among other harms, pervasive institutional discrimination against men in the judicial system). Furthermore, women's general preference for other goods (such as safety and balance) trades power for well-being. Indeed, by most measures of well-being, women are doing better than men.

Establish that the MRA and feminists are the only groups with skin in the gender issues or that the pull of feminists exceeds the sum influence of all other groups.
That would be true if every non-feminist with "skin in the gender issues" was completely devoted to opposing feminists on every issue and consistently advocating for men as a group. But in fact, feminist groups are extremely partial to women and consistently advocate their issues, while conservative groups rarely advocate anything resembling a 'men's issue'. The result is that women's problems get debated and sometimes fixed, often in ways that harm men, while men's problems remain obscure.

Last edited:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
And their political power certainly does result in social power: the purpose of politics is to manage society, and if it didn't enable social power then the enormous financial and emotional scope of politics would be a complete mystery. We can see the effects of political groups, including feminists, throughout our institutions and public policies.
Yes that is the purpose, but does more political power of a group directed at accomplishing certain social goals mean that group has more social power? Moving to black liberation as a metaphor, clearly the civil rights movement had more political power then it's opposition, yet racism remains in individual social contexts based on persistent cogitative biases. A purpose does not mean it accomplishes that goal.

Gender roles ("patriarchy") don't empower men; they often limit men's choices and punish them for failing to measure up. They give women our sympathy, which is a subtle form of power (leading to, among other harms, pervasive institutional discrimination against men in the judicial system).
Most of what you said is true, the thing that you're missing here is the "why". Why's there inherent sympathy for women? What men's choices does society punish?

Furthermore, women's general preference for other goods (such as safety and balance) trades power for well-being. Indeed, by most measures of well-being, women are doing better than men.
This seems to contradict your reasoning given it's justifying a power imbalance in men's favor rather then discounting it. Those justifications you offer seem like the very reason to break it, equalization of power and responsibility, therefore equalization of well-being.

That would be true if every non-feminist with "skin in the gender issues" was completely devoted to opposing feminists on every issue and consistently advocating for men as a group. But in fact, feminist groups are extremely partial to women and consistently advocate their issues, while conservative groups rarely advocate anything resembling a 'men's issue'. The result is that women's problems get debated and sometimes fixed, often in ways that harm men, while men's problems remain obscure.
The discussion is about power, not advocacy. While your thesis that feminism's political power is an expression of female political power is defensible, the idea that therefore men's rights advocacy can be the only possible expression of male political power when for example, religious groups are explicitly advocating for the abject subservience of women to men is outright ludicrous.

Especially when you consider that the intent of neither the MRM nor feminism is create a power imbalance, both are trying to correct gender imbalances and the disagreement between the two is one of methods and prioritization, whereas conservative religious groups explicitly want to create a power imbalance favoring men.

AfungusAmongus

Smash Apprentice
Yes that is the purpose, but does more political power of a group directed at accomplishing certain social goals mean that group has more social power? Moving to black liberation as a metaphor, clearly the civil rights movement had more political power then it's opposition, yet racism remains in individual social contexts based on persistent cogitative biases. A purpose does not mean it accomplishes that goal.
Certainly there are lingering racial problems related to attitudes and well-being. Blacks still generally have less prestige, wealth, and self-actualization than whites in the USA; but I think this is mainly due to cycles of poverty, under-education, and crime. Racism since the 70's is, I think, more an effect of this situation rather than a cause. (Campaigning for social justice by insisting that #BlackLivesMatter merely distracts from the real, mainly economic, causes of black suffering, but that's beside the point).

Women don't generally suffer from the same kind of poverty as blacks. Consequently, they're doing at least as well as men are; and sexism today is about as likely to be misandry as misogyny. The racial metaphor just seems too different to be helpful. Poverty is evidently harder than patriarchy.

Most of what you said is true, the thing that you're missing here is the "why". Why's there inherent sympathy for women? What men's choices does society punish
We MRA's tend to go for evolutionary-psychological answers here, but I'll set the nature/nurture issue aside. Women have, for most of our evolutionary and cultural history, needed help while they were pregnant and nursing. Women then were pregnant more often, of course, than they are now that we have reliable birth control. Kids almost certainly did better in societies that gave these women adequate resources and protection, resulting in selective pressure for sympathy towards women (moreso than towards men). Whether this pressure operated on our genes or our ideas (or both), its vestiges explain the "women are wonderful" effect.

A similar story explains our expectations of men. How would you answer the "why" question?

This seems to contradict your reasoning given it's justifying a power imbalance in men's favor rather then discounting it. Those justifications you offer seem like the very reason to break it, equalization of power and responsibility, therefore equalization of well-being.
I don't see any contradiction. Men are expected to sacrifice well-being in order to get status and money, and would be better off if their worth weren't so reducible to purchasing power. Equalization of power, responsibility, and well-being between the sexes is a noble goal, although feminist efforts to achieve this goal have been a mixed bag. A rational approach involves egalitarian parenting, equal opportunity, and freedom from gender roles, not quotas, affirmative action, women-only programs/entitlements, or overblown rhetoric about oppression, patriarchy, etc.

The discussion is about power, not advocacy. While your thesis that feminism's political power is an expression of female political power is defensible, the idea that therefore men's rights advocacy can be the only possible expression of male political power when for example, religious groups are explicitly advocating for the abject subservience of women to men is outright ludicrous.

Especially when you consider that the intent of neither the MRM nor feminism is create a power imbalance, both are trying to correct gender imbalances and the disagreement between the two is one of methods and prioritization, whereas conservative
religious groups explicitly want to create a power imbalance favoring men.
Who is "explicitly advocating for the abject subservience of women to men", other than politically negligible minorities such as Muslims? Conservative religious groups in the USA have no such goals, explicit or implicit.

Last edited:

Zachary Smith

Smash Rookie
I’ve lurked on Smashboards for some time now, and it’s sad that this is the thread that had me make an account. I hope everyone realizes that this type of discourse can be and is frequently what keeps women from joining the smash community. Some of you have such a poor grasp on feminism and how gender manifests itself. I want to respond to some of these comments, and will shortly. For some context, I am a queer, asian-american male, and feminist.

Feminism supports a lot more than women. It's about social equality, removing traditional gender roles, and acceptance of everyone regardless of what body you're born in-- little things like accepting the fact females have body hair and can choose whether or not to shave it, or larger scale problems, like accepting that men are also **** victims and should not feel shame for being so (a good percentage of men do not report their **** because of embarrassment, etc).

The stigma is because of extremists ("tumblr feminism", or "RadFems") that say things like "smash the patriarchy #KillAllMen" and "waaah you're oppressing me because you're sitting in a bus seat with your legs apart and I'm too socially awkward to ask you to move so I'll post a picture and complain on social media", which spread like wildfire. They're incredibly vocal, and those are the types that make the biggest (albeit wrong) impressions.

edit: just making sure it doesn't look like I dodged the censor
This is a decent grasp of feminism. Still, #KillAllMen isn’t really a thing so I wouldn’t use that as an example; it was a joke that meninists took seriously. In terms of men sitting with their legs apart, or man-spreading, many women speak about this because, especially in the western world, men are implicitly taught that they can take up space, or at least, are not told otherwise. Women are told to cross their legs, be "ladylike." Yes, this seems minor, but male privilege manifests itself in many ways, small and large. Man-spreading is a symptom of women being taught to hide their genitals, else they be shamed, while men aren't. There are further points to make, but please respond first. I want this to be discussion.

Feminism: A bunch of pretentious lying socialists projecting female privilege onto men while framing their own sexual insecurity as some sort of oppressive systemic injustice.

A radical feminist is more overtly hysterical.

Did you know a man's capacity for higher reasoning shuts down in the presence of a pretty woman? Our brains literally short-circuit.
Oh my god. Control. Yourself. If your capacity for higher reasoning "shuts down" when a woman walks by, you're an animal with no self control. Christ.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
Oh my god. Control. Yourself. If your capacity for higher reasoning "shuts down" when a woman walks by, you're an animal with no self control. Christ.
Says the guy who felt the need to post their empty emotional backlash.

It means that men are far more vulnerable to manipulation while aroused, not that they turn into horny chimpanzees with no impulse control. You know, exactly like the cartoon stereotype.

Last edited:

Zachary Smith

Smash Rookie
This is an unpopular opinion by all feminists, I'm sure, but the goals of feminism have already been accomplished. Susan B. Anthony and the like accomplished the woman's suffrage and organizing more female roles in the workplace, which by the way, began largely unopposed during WW1 as many men in the workforce were drafted and positions needed to be filled. Many studies have concluded that women do not get paid less for the same job as a man does overall despite this being a pushbutton talking point for feminists. Looking at the military, preparations are in place for women to be sent to the front lines that request it. Women are also joining the submarine force in greater numbers as officers and soon as enlisted women for the first time next year and soon as Navy Seals as well.
I don't see what feminists are trying to accomplish these days. I wouldn't be surprised if most of them just plain hate men and are deluded by their fellow feminists into thinking such gender discrimination still runs rampant. What modern feminists are too intellectually dishonest to admit are the benefit females have in society; while it may be true that some male employers hire men for the job, others hire women because they want to see them strut around the workplace on a daily basis. It's also MUCH more socially acceptable for a married woman to decide she doesn't wish to work while the husband does. Similarly, women can expect to be catered to especially while in the dating phase. Women also nearly always maintain custody of children, are not suspected as often for crimes and/or get off more easily, and women can wear men's clothes but not so much vice-versa. Just kidding about that last one... sort of.
Feminism of the 1900's was beautiful. Loudmouth modern feminists of today are obnoxious.
But there's my rant for the day.
Please, share links or information on the studies that conclude that women are paid the same as men. It isn’t true, and I would like to see where you got your information.

You don’t seem to actually know your history. The goals of feminism have in no way been fully accomplished, and your explanation on the benefits women have in today’s society demonstrates how poorly you understand sexism.

“…others hire women because they want to see them strut around the workplace on a daily basis.”

Hiring women based on their looks is not a privilege. It is a sexist practice that devalues intelligence in women, and is objectifying. Also, how is it more socially acceptable for “a married woman to decide she doesn’t wish to work?” Like, in what ways is that actually a thing? Seriously, share your resources. I’m concerned you’ve been relying of factually incorrect / biased research.

“Women also nearly always maintain custody of children…”

You probably mean women are more likely to be identified as a child’s primary caregiver in divorce cases. This means a mother is more likely to be evaluated by a court to be able to meet a young child’s needs. Due to gendered roles in our society, women are expected to be a child’s primary caregiver (as in expected to be the one to prepare meals, take the child to school, etc), so of course they are more likely to be identified as such in court. Sure, in many modern families parenting roles are starting to unravel, with women as bread winners, and the “stay at home father,” but it remains a fact that these roles still exist. Feminism seeks to deconstruct traditional gender roles, so if women being more likely to be primary caregiver is a problem for you, feminism is actually a solution.

“…and women can wear men’s clothes but not so much vice-versa.”

This more has to do with heteronormativity, and if that’s a conversation you want to have, let me know. I will gladly talk about it with you. I understand that you’re (sort of) kidding. Still, it does relate to how androgyny has and does lean toward the masculine, rather than the feminine, and that does have to do with the devaluing of femininity in today’s world.

CannotGrasp speaks the truth. Which makes me wonder why (s)he has that name, lol.

Regular feminists are fighting for equality among genders, even when it comes to simple things like making toys non-gender specific and let little girls play with toy cars and little boys play with dolls if they would like. They also fight for equal pay in the workplace as well as treatment of women at their jobs or school.

Unfortunately, the name feminists get bundled with those that are more militant in nature. Those people complain about the lack of tampon commercials seen during football season and other preposterous stuff that doesn't matter.
Great points. Still, do you know what straw feminism is? It's what you and many others here are describing, and it really doesn't exist. At least, not to a point in which it's effective to use it to undermine certain ways feminists express themselves. Here (http://niftynotcool.com/2014/12/11/please-stop-fighting-straw-feminists-theyre-not-real/) is a strong opinion-piece on how citing "militant" feminists isn't a strong argument, because they simply don't exist, or at least, are far and few between, and are in no way indicative of modern feminism as a movement in the way that a lot of critics seem to believe.

Says the guy who felt the need to post their empty emotional backlash.

It means that men are far more vulnerable to manipulation while aroused, not that they turn into horny chimpanzees with no impulse control. You know, exactly like the cartoon stereotype.
Consider how your argument about vulnerability here is indicative of how men aren't held accountable for their sexuality. Women are taught again and again ways to avoid getting *****, which while important for safety in a culture where men aren't taught self-control when it comes to sex and sexual urges, is also unfortunate as it shouldn't be a woman's responsibility and burden.

Certainly there are lingering racial problems related to attitudes and well-being. Blacks still generally have less prestige, wealth, and self-actualization than whites in the USA; but I think this is mainly due to cycles of poverty, under-education, and crime. Racism since the 70's is, I think, more an effect of this situation rather than a cause. (Campaigning for social justice by insisting that #BlackLivesMatter merely distracts from the real, mainly economic, causes of black suffering, but that's beside the point).

Women don't generally suffer from the same kind of poverty as blacks. Consequently, they're doing at least as well as men are; and sexism today is about as likely to be misandry as misogyny. The racial metaphor just seems too different to be helpful. Poverty is evidently harder than patriarchy.

We MRA's tend to go for evolutionary-psychological answers here, but I'll set the nature/nurture issue aside. Women have, for most of our evolutionary and cultural history, needed help while they were pregnant and nursing. Women then were pregnant more often, of course, than they are now that we have reliable birth control. Kids almost certainly did better in societies that gave these women adequate resources and protection, resulting in selective pressure for sympathy towards women (moreso than towards men). Whether this pressure operated on our genes or our ideas (or both), its vestiges explain the "women are wonderful" effect.

A similar story explains our expectations of men. How would you answer the "why" question?

I don't see any contradiction. Men are expected to sacrifice well-being in order to get status and money, and would be better off if their worth weren't so reducible to purchasing power. Equalization of power, responsibility, and well-being between the sexes is a noble goal, although feminist efforts to achieve this goal have been a mixed bag. A rational approach involves egalitarian parenting, equal opportunity, and freedom from gender roles, not quotas, affirmative action, women-only programs/entitlements, or overblown rhetoric about oppression, patriarchy, etc.

Who is "explicitly advocating for the abject subservience of women to men", other than politically negligible minorities such as Muslims? Conservative religious groups in the USA have no such goals, explicit or implicit.
There are many incorrect things that you’ve said on this forum, but I want to get this out of the way first.

This is an awful statement. First, you describe those of Muslim faith as “politically negligible.” Why do you describe them as so? They are a very important ethnic minority here in the US, and have dealt with terrible racism due to post-9/11 anti-Islam sentiment. Muslim-Americans are very important in political discourse today, and have been for the past decade.

Second, I encourage to read up pieces written by Muslim women. Here is one: http://www.onislam.net/english/read...h/447376-why-i-wear-the-muslim-headscarf.html). Describing Muslim faith as “explicitly advocating for the abject subservience of women to men” is a very western, very white understanding of Islam. You are not Muslim. Neither am I. Let actual Muslim women speak on and explain their gender and faith.

In this article, Hernandez, the author, addresses your view that Muslim women are oppressed, using the hijab as an example. She explains that covering up is done so that men have to engage with women intellectually. Some see it as a way to demand men’s respect. Please, educate yourself on the intricacies of being Muslim and female before making uneducated remarks like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
Consider how your argument about vulnerability here is indicative of how men aren't held accountable for their sexuality. Women are taught again and again ways to avoid getting *****, which while important for safety in a culture where men aren't taught self-control when it comes to sex and sexual urges, is also unfortunate as it shouldn't be a woman's responsibility and burden.
OK, lad, if you as a budding patriarch would be gracious enough to grant women personal agency then what are their burdens and responsibilities?

Last edited:

Zachary Smith

Smash Rookie
Ok, lad, if you as a budding patriarch would be gracious enough to grant women personal agency then what are their burdens and responsibilities?
If you view men as budding patriarchs then there's no helping you. And what exactly are you getting at? I take it this question is rhetorical.

And boo? I'm queer and look forward to gay-marrying another man so let us not go down this road.

Last edited:

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
If you view men as budding patriarchs than there's no helping you. And what exactly are you getting at? I take it this question is rhetorical.

And boo? I'm queer and look forward to gay-marrying another man so let us not go down this road.
Sarcasm =/= rhetorical question. I expect an honest answer. Either you admit to denying women all agency (which makes you a victimizing patriarch) or accept that they are just as accountable for their actions as men. You call yourself an egalitarian, right?

If you're a gay feminist then you should listen to this.

Last edited:

Zachary Smith

Smash Rookie
Sarcasm =/= rhetorical question. I expect an honest answer. Either you admit to denying women all agency (which makes you a victimizing patriarch) or accept that they are just as accountable for their actions as men. You call yourself an egalitarian, right?

If you're a gay feminist then you should listen to this.

Why do you set up such binaries? It isn't either or. And no, I do not call myself an egalitarian. In my first post I explicitly mentioned I was feminist.

Also, I don't identify as gay. Queer is the term I use in describing my sexuality. Keep that in mind? If that confuses you I'll explain.

And I watched half of the video. Please, don't expect me to watch any more. The guy already has already used the f** slur twice. Regardless of the point he's making, using that word hurts in a way I don't think you'd be able to understand.

Why should I listen to a straight cis white man tell me how to handle myself? Why should I continue to listen to someone who asks straight on if I'm "f***king slow" for being queer and supporting feminism? What right does he have to be an authority on my personal experiences?

And why do you listen to this stuff? Why not find queer vloggers? Let them explain to you what it's like to be queer, and how they've engaged with feminine/masculine expression, and where they've found acceptance.

Please, take care in the content you share. Regardless of your intention, you could really hurt someone. I've reported the post; there are many queer and disabled individuals who are part of this community, and this video directly insults both parties. This is the debate hall, yes, but one can debate without stooping to such a level.

Last edited:
Top Bottom