• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is the definition of secondary and pockets?

CaptainAnime

Smash Apprentice
I was under the impression that pockets are characters are counterpick characters (which is true) but with secondaries, I thought it was just characters people have fun playing and just whip them out to sandbag or attempt to win those characters.

Instead, I found out that a secondary is a character you play the most that is not your main.

For instance, I main Marth, and I play Palutena the second most nowadays. Because I thought what the definitions were, I considered her a pocket whereas other characters I play for fun like Link, Young Link, Chroy, Mario, etc were secondaries. But with the definitions I found, Palutena is a secondary and the other characters, I could consider pockets should I want to counterpick for a specific matchup.

So a secondary is a character you play the second most, and pockets are just other characters you play that can be used as counterpicks. Is this right?

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Correct.
The term "secondary" came from the fact that the character is the one you use second most often. In Smash 4 and Ultimate, with such large rosters, it's used more generally to just refer to "the characters besides their main that a player is known to be able to confidently use in a high-stakes bracket." Which is why some players will say they have "multiple secondaries."
"Pocket" means they would only be used sparingly in high-stakes situations, such as against a specific character or player.

Some people will also just say they have multiple mains. The implication being that the time they use each in serious settings and their level of proficiency with them are about equal.

CaptainAnime

Smash Apprentice
Correct.
The term "secondary" came from the fact that the character is the one you use second most often. In Smash 4 and Ultimate, with such large rosters, it's used more generally to just refer to "the characters besides their main that a player is known to be able to confidently use in a high-stakes bracket." Which is why some players will say they have "multiple secondaries."
"Pocket" means they would only be used sparingly in high-stakes situations, such as against a specific character or player.

Some people will also just say they have multiple mains. The implication being that the time they use each in serious settings and their level of proficiency with them are about equal.
thank you for confirming.

Last edited:
Top Bottom