• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is the best way to know if you are going to like a game/movie/music/etc ?

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
For me I've come to the conclusion that the only real foolproof way to ensure I don't waste my money is to find an individual reviewer or reviewers who have extremely similar taste to me (agrees on at least 9/10 reviews) and then buy the media based on their recommendation or review. Gamefaqs and Flickchart are excellent sources for such shadowing.

My backup method is to know who the executive director or producer was, these are people that have the most influence over the final product, all the QC and polish. Basically the people that have a track record of always ensuring games/media up to a certain standard that I've always enjoyed (Bethesda, Valve, Marvel, Pixar, Disney, Brad Bird, Nolan, Joss Whedon, etc)

Buying something based off genre and similarity to other games you like can be very hit and miss. Not only that but it can pigeonhole you and prevent you from enjoying a game outside your "usual genre taste" that you might end up really liking (instead of wasting time on a game you end up hating from a genre you usually enjoy)

Metacritic and other average score methods are misleading since there are games that can get an average of 9 - 10 and I find them to be a complete waste of time, money, over-hyped and underwhelming.

Reading whatever random reviewer just happens to get tasked with grading the game is also a bad way since it's all so subjective, a website or group doesn't mean a cohesive opinion that aligns with mine..

I generally like to go completely blind into a game or piece of media, so the full effect of it hits me as it should. No trailers, I don't read the 100s of previews and spoiler articles or new details they shill out for page views, no interviews, no images.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I think the best way is how you perceive the information given to you. For example, Smash 4. Before its release, I stayed tuned on the updates, slowly building up my hype for the game. I also got hyped for Splatoon when it was first announced before people jumped on the bandwagon. The gameplay looked pretty fun, so that was an insta-buy for me.
Or, if that's not enough, you can always rent the game, if that's still a thing. I remember renting Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, and loved it enough to purchase the whole game. But I don't know. I usually just look at a game, and if it clicks in my head, I buy it. And I tend not to regret it.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
My method is to experience it first, write a review to my future self, then have brain surgery to have the memory removed.

Seriously though, when it comes to video games, I basically know my tastes. I rarely buy games I don't like anymore, and I still have more games than free time.

I generally like to go completely blind into a game or piece of media, so the full effect of it hits me as it should. No trailers, I don't read the 100s of previews and spoiler articles are new details they shill out, no interviews, no images.
Also this,^ one hundred times this. I will watch only a 30 second gameplay teaser if possible (marketing OP), because thats generally enough time to determine if I'll like a game.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I don't have a high bar when it comes to the media I love, so I tend to enjoy most things. Given that... If I enjoy it, I'll enjoy it, hah. If it grabs me, and I enjoy the content/story/etc then I'll play it through to the end. If it's riddled with bugs or bad story... I'm done.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
When it comes to movies and music, I'll enjoy just about anything. Probably because I have bad taste.

When it comes to games, I like them very action oriented. Nintendo games have been my jam for a long time because of their dedication to gameplay. I have no problem with story oriented gameplay, but it's not what I'm after 90% of the time.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
The easiest is to simply look at it. Whether through trailers, demos, or in the case of music listening to the song. I can analyze all I want, but experiencing it is always a more effective method.

Albie83

Smash Apprentice
I'm actually really good at just knowing my taste. If I see a movie or game trailer, I will know that I will like it or not based on the content and premise. When I was younger, I would falter and get tricked by Hollywood bs. The only time that I see something terrible now is if a friend drags me to the theater.

Top Bottom