• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is Safe on Shield?

Newtonjar

Smash Cadet
This thread is devoted to what we find is safe on Shield. We know that corrin has a rediculous amount of range so I would think that a lot of moves are fairly safe on shield. Unfortunately I have not had the ability to test anything quite yet.

Benoas

Smash Cadet
Bair possibly, due to the whole autospacing thing. Haven't tested though

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
Bair is definitely safe on shield vs some characters. It hits hard and auto spaces itself. Pretty sure the rest of his/her aerials aren't safe on shield

CCCM89

Smash Ace
surprisingly, Neutral B is safe, if you double tab it to charge the bite. either they take massive shield damage and get pushed back, or you hit with the bite when they try to grab you.

D

Deleted member

Back Air...
Neutral B...
Nair and Fair IF you space it correctly...

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames
To be precise, her only aerial that leaves you with more frames on shield is Bair at +1. Her Nair and Fair are -1, so if the opponent is fast they can possibly punish it. But Bair should be unpunishable without a perfect shield if spaced properly. Even more so because of the momentum shift.

FMHappy

Smash Cadet
So if spaced correctly, fair and nair are safe on shield? Unless its a fast oos person like sheik?

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
So if spaced correctly, fair and nair are safe on shield? Unless its a fast oos person like sheik?
My sparring partner is a Sheik. My current experience is that Sheik can only punish with dash attack. If Sheik attempts to grab we Corrin can spot dodge the punish attempt.

Useful matchup specific detail.

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
fsmash tipper is safe on block against most characters. dtilt and ftilt are hard to punish with good spacing.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Since the f-smash can deal damage while charging, you would think that it's safe on shield, but those who have flinch resistance against weak attacks (such as Bowser) could still shield-grab Corrin while he's charging the f-smash.

Caiahar

Smash Rookie
fsmash tipper is safe on block against most characters. dtilt and ftilt are hard to punish with good spacing.
But doesn't dtilt have a bit of a low range?

Also does fair and nair autocancel? I've never been able to use it safely on shield, so I'm doing something wrong

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Half the people in this thread have a REALLY liberal idea of what "safe on shield" means.

Bair is safe. Everything else is matchup dependent, and often not safe unless they're slow as balls matchups.

Last edited:

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
It's been days since that post and people keep liking it so I'm going to double post rather than edit in the updated thought.

Grounded SideB AND bair are safe on shield. Everything else generally is not. Currently I think the general best gameplay for approach is to mixup between grounded sideB on shield and fullhop fairs.

Our approaching gameplay is our biggest weakness but this is made up for by the sheer speed and power of our sideB. The fact that it leads into so many followup strings makes it one of our better neutral options. Opponents have no real choice but to play shield heavy and it is far easier for them to make mistakes than it is for us.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Is this by chance a typo or are you actually referring to forward airs?
Yeah I'm referring to fullhop forward airs. They're relatively safe as long as they're well spaced unless against Marth or some of the other long range cast. Our fair is the same distance as Sheik's fair but with a larger disjoint.

On shield it's unsafe though, the purpose of fullhop fair is to get people to come after us while they believe they have a neutral advantage, fullhop fair well spaced is actually quite difficult to intercept by most of the cast unless they come in directly underneath or behind us. Fortunately most of the cast aren't quite quick enough to do that. I wouldn't do it against a Fox though unless retreating at the same time to stop him getting under/behind.

Cosmic was using this occasionally in his most recent win in a couple of matchups, so I'd recommend watching his videos for an idea.

Last edited:

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I'm referring to fullhop forward airs. They're relatively safe as long as they're well spaced unless against Marth or some of the other long range cast. Our fair is the same distance as Sheik's fair but with a larger disjoint.

On shield it's unsafe though, the purpose of fullhop fair is to get people to come after us while they believe they have a neutral advantage, fullhop fair well spaced is actually quite difficult to intercept by most of the cast unless they come in directly underneath or behind us. Fortunately most of the cast aren't quite quick enough to do that. I wouldn't do it against a Fox though unless retreating at the same time to stop him getting under/behind.

Cosmic was using this occasionally in his most recent win in a couple of matchups, so I'd recommend watching his videos for an idea.
Yeah, fullhop fair is definitely a powerful tool for us, both in neutral and in an advantage state. It IS possible to counter it, though, so mixups with RAR bairs, Dragon Lunge, etc are vital.

Top Bottom