• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is Ness's intro?

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
About mid-game in Earthbound, you get a skill called PSI Teleport a that allows you to travel to any location you've already been to. however, unlike a traditional telportation move, you can only do it in a very wide-open environment, because you need to take a run-up in order for it to work.

If at any point during the run up you crashed into a wall or object, Ness and his gang would explode and go all black with spiky hair. It didn't cause any damage to you or anything.

T-Nice

Smash Cadet
That's tight, haha Ness is the shiD! Haha, you guys are some real fans I tell you man, it's tight how these characters have so much stardom.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Hardly, Ness is one of the hands down least popular character in all of Smashboards. Personally, I like it that way. Less stupid people on average.

T-Nice

Smash Cadet
True, it's just because everyone is so main stream... it's either Super Mario, Legend of Zelda, Metroid, or Pokemon that seem to be everyones pick... you can sort of add StarFox, and the Kirby series to that mix too but, just shows people just don't know how to expand their experience. I love Ness, by character... but I'm more on the Pokemon side, and Donkey Kong series which seems to be unpopular too... Big ups to the underground gamers, you guys are tight!

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Thanks. The Earthbound series is great for its humor and weirdness. It's understandable that not everyone would like it, especially from a Westerner's point of view (the humor is very Japanese and often just outright bizzare).

Mother 3 kind of did away with a lot of the humor that I liked in the series, but it made up for it with a really emotional storyline and excellent characters.

But I miss the new age retro hippies, catching zombies with fly paper, helping some guy realise his dream of becoming a dungeon, and missions that involved you searching for an invisible man with a gold tooth and a monobrow in an inverted city where everybody says the opposite of what they mean.

T-Nice

Smash Cadet
Lmao, wow that game does seems weird but seems like a classic though, very unique... but are you saying the Earthbound 2 kind of went on the serious side?

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Yeah, Mother 3 (Luca's game) was a lot more serious than Earthbound. It had more tragedy and a lot of the stuff in it was genuinely sad. Lucas is actually quite a psychologically disturbed little boy. The story in general seemed to be deeper and a lot of the attempted humor still had a kind of seriousness to it that didn't make it quite as funny as anything found in Earthbound.

*FRIKKIN SPOILER WARNING ON REQUEST OF LAHA...I MEAN ADEMISK*

For example, there's a point in Mother 3 where Lucas learns how to use PSI from the Magypsies, who are basically a tribe of cross-dressing men with magic powers. He ends up going into a hot tub with one of them and having his head dunked under water to awaken his abilities. However, the way the screen goes dark, the dailogue and an event later on where Lucas reveals through a hallucination that he's afraid of sexual situations could also mean that he was abused. It's a mild topic of debate amongst Mother 3 fans or so I've been told. But yeah, Mother 3 has a lot more subtle adult undertones than Earthbound.

Lucas also had a lot more character development in Mother 3 than Ness did in Earthbound, which goes to explain how they act in SSE. In SSE Lucas displays some of the timidness that he had at the start of Mother 3 before he had any friends to help him. Ness, however, is shown as being a heroic and fearless character, since in Earthbound he was basically an unstoppable robot who never dropped his smile, even when facing the greatest evil of all.

*END FRIKKIN SPOILERZ.*

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I didn't go into much detail. Everybody and their dog knows about the Magypsies.

Besides, sometimes if you want to get people interested in a game, you gotta give out some minor spoilers.

Top Bottom