• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is Meta Game?

Hunybear

Smash Ace
What is the meta game? Wikipedia says "it is the use of out-of-game information or resources to affect one's in-game decisions."
ok so then dose the meta game change depending on the caliber of the players? People often say things like "in todays meta" referring to the meta game relative to the highest level of play. Dose that mean the meta game is based off of the highest level of play at that current time?
Is S tier players meta game different from A tier players because they apply different knowledge to the game or is it constant though every level?

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Meta, to me, describes the proper use of the most advanced tactics and strategies available at the time in any given matchup. It's basically what you're "supposed" to be doing at top level.

Hunybear

Smash Ace
Meta, to me, describes the proper use of the most advanced tactics and strategies available at the time in any given matchup. It's basically what you're "supposed" to be doing at top level.
So the meta is the same for everyone across the board and were just trying to do what the top players are doing. Playing catch-up essentially at the lower levels.

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
To me, meta is how and when you should use the tools your character/s have, and using them properly.

Last edited:

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
You could also have a local meta. If everyone around you sucks, a major factor in your meta is how to beat scrubs. However, if you go out of that local region, you would need to ADAPT to the dynamics of what meta means.

Hunybear

Smash Ace
To me, meta is how and when you should use the tools your character/s have, and using them properly.
so optimized option picking is what the meta is?

You could also have a local meta. If everyone around you sucks, a major factor in your meta is how to beat scrubs. However, if you go out of that local region, you would need to ADAPT to the dynamics of what meta means.
You believe that the meta changes based on the caliber of the player. Could you expand o that thinking

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Optimized option picking is the GOAL of the meta game, and it has grown closer to closer to this unreachable status over the years.

It has to do with the habits of the masses or the group of smashers at hand. Local metas do exist, but these days, it should be more global imho. Melee is bigger then ever now and the amount of streaming and videos uploaded hands any eager learner almost everything he needs to know on a silver platter.

When someone develops a new style, strat, or tactic that no one else uses AND it seems to work more effectively than its substitute in the current meta, that's PUSHING the metagame, as it is beyond the metagame. It's completely based on what the average tourney-level player will go for NOW, not necessarily what is optimal. But what we have now is the closest thing to optimal yet. This new strat or whatever will become part of the meta once more people realize it's good and start using it.

Last edited:

Hunybear

Smash Ace
Optimized option picking is the GOAL of the meta game, and it has grown closer to closer to this unreachable status over the years.

It has to do with the habits of the masses or the group of smashers at hand. Local metas do exist, but these days, it should be more global imho. Melee is bigger then ever now and the amount of streaming and videos uploaded hands any eager learner almost everything he needs to know on a silver platter.

When someone develops a new style, strat, or tactic that no one else uses AND it seems to work more effectively than its substitute in the current meta, that's PUSHING the metagame, as it is beyond the metagame. It's completely based on what the average tourney-level player will go for NOW, not necessarily what is optimal. But what we have now is the closest thing to optimal yet. This new strat or whatever will become part of the meta once more people realize it's good and start using it.
ok so. The meta game is based on the average level of skill of the global smash community. It is advanced by new tech or new applications or strategies of existing tech.
When talking about the meta we should be referring to the average global skill level and if so then how can there be local metas? if this is all encompassing.
Also if the meta games goal is to achieve the optimal application of known tech and strategy shouldn't it be based off the highest level of play instead of the global average.
Not saying your wrong but I really don't understand :p guess i'm STUPID!

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Not average players, there's so many. To me it's the top 200 or so, idk. The players that use the common useful tactics WELL. But this is just how I understand it. No one is insinuating you are stupid. I'm sure they'd be wrong.

Top Bottom