• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is Marth's best throw?

Koga_

Smash Cadet
I really like u throw for juggles but I've seen the f throw chained to the ledge

Mischief

Smash Cadet
Depends on the fall speed of the character. For fast fallers, like Fox and Falco, the best throw is almost always up. Up throws can be linked to more upthrows, and if your tech skill isn't good enough for it simply throw out an up tilt and keep juggling them. At high enough damage link up throw to up air.

Forward throw is usually the best for "normal" characters, Peach, Roy, Mewtwo, etc. These characters have the proper fall speed that after a forward throw, and depending on their DI, you can instantly run up and grab them again. This means you can grab --> forward throw --> grab --> forward throw. This is a great tactic to use for stage control, as if done properly it will quickly push your opponent to the ledge where Marth's range makes for an easy kill or gimp. A cool trick you can pull off at the edge is forward throw --> downair. This is a pretty tricky move, and I rarely time it right, but if done properly it can mean a kill at ridiculously low percents.

Forward throw also leads to fsmash or fair at low percentages.

Sometimes I also use downthrow as a mix up, because my opponent probably assumes I'm going to throw them forward. I rarely use back throw.

Last edited:

DJ _ICE

Smash Apprentice
Its kind of like asking Marth's best aerial. They all have their uses. Up throw for juggles, Forward Throw for linking into another grab, Fsmash, or aerial, Down throw for techchasing and Fthrow and Dthrow are both used to get someone off stage, with Dthrow being better due to the angle. Fthrow is especially good because it can chain into itself and works best on light characters and fastfallers. What I like to do is try to mix up Fthrow and Dthrow at low-mid percentages for a DI/techchase mixup. Pummeling is good, try to do one pummel every 30-35% percent, but know when not to do it to mess up their DI.

Back throw's only good for getting someone on a platform behind you, other than a few weird instances (M2K's back throw Shoryuken) Dthrow is better.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Up. But fthrow has it's use and d you grab them with your back to the stage and want them off stage.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I mean Fthrow/Dhtrow is a DI mixup and bad guess leads to tipper on a lot of characters.

But then Uthrow works on Fastfallers and Bthrow lands tippers at percents a little too high for Dthrow.

So yeah, all of them.

D

Deleted member

you throw them wherever will put them into a shitty position, and then you use the sword to keep them there until they die.

this character is hard lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Gladiator

Smash Apprentice
I actually use back throw occasionally as a mix-up, and more often than not, they don't expect it, fail to DI, and get tipper f-smashed.

D

Deleted member

the best throw is the one that puts the opponent into a bad position.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
So to get a bit more into details:
All of Marth's throws have weight-dependent throw release points, so you will have bigger frame advantages against light characters generally.
Up-throw has three main uses:
Up-throw is great to followup with a regrab (spacies only), up-tilt, and basically anything you can get from mid %s in.
That combo component is stronger against characters that are falling faster and are lighter basically. It works best between 20-40% (then also on average fallspeed), above and under that only if the criteria are fulfilled to a higer extent.
Up-throw is a kill move at really high %s (generally around 200%), you don't want to rely on it though.
Up-throw can lead to positional advantages if you fight a character having a bad landing. Your idea is basically to wait for them trying to land and then catch them with up-tilt/up-air. Works best against characters who have problems covering the space under them (Peach and many others to a lesser extent) or having bad horizontal mobility in the air (Snake, Lucario). Punishing landing is easier if platforms don't play a role or are away completely.

Forward-throw:
Use it as DI trap together with down-throw on light, floaty characters. Regrabs at low %, any move you can get (mainly fair and nair) at mid %s. Often you can also get an aerial followup or even a pivot/WD f-smash as kill setup.
At the ledge: Forward-throw-> Dash (really short) ->short hop -> dair works on a lot of characters, mainly those with less or average fallspeed.
Positioning: There are a few characters you can't really get any followups against, which are heavy, floaty characters (Samus, Charizard). Use the forward throw to bring them closer to the edge. Positioning instead of going for a combo which will miss can be really important, this kind of use is still underrated. The f- and d- throw positioning is better if they feel uncomfortable at the edge (bad recovery (?)), you can't combo on them (or at least not at theses percents), and they don't have a big problem with landing.

Down-throw:
Mainly the same as f-throw (DI trap), but with less followups. Use it when you DI trap and they expect the f-throw.
Positioning factor stays the same (if you are closer to the edge with the back, down-throw is your positioning tool).

Back-throw:
Really situational, similar to down-throw. Sometimes prefered in edgeguarding situations over the d-throw but generally your worst throw.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Bthrow is kind of good vs characters like MK/Lucas/Diddy if they DI wrong. You may be able to legit regrab them or dump all over them. Usually it's just better to Uthrow them though *sad face*

Marth's best throw in this game is probably Uthrow, since even if you don't get a combo you're likely to keep good positioning against them (super important vs lamo chars). Fthrow is amazing if you're super aware and on point with pivot attacks and dashing out of the throw, since you can dash following the throw and land some incredible Fsmash tips/Dtilts/etc with pivoting. Arc does it a lot in Melee, he's a good example.

Fthrow combined with bad DI is basically top tier. Marth eats that **** up. Anything else is Uthrow city

Last edited:
Top Bottom