• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is falcon's worst stage?

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
It really depends on the match up. A lot of people really don't like FoD, but Shield Drop Uair is a great tool to use on the platforms, and at certain platform heights you can sneak raptor boosts under platforms, as well as a weird Usmash elevator.

Back to the main point, you want to consider the ways your opponent can kill you (horizontally, vertically, gimp?). Falcon usually wants to kill off the sides, and he can survive for a very long time vertically. Considering these elements, you can gain a better understanding of Stage Striking for MU's. Certain characters also have chain grabs on Falcon, in which case you usually don't want to end up on FD with those; however, Falcon usually can get awesome combos on FD, so you need to consider what the stage has to offer to your play to utilize advantage and curb disadvantage in certain MU's. If you can get the followups on your combos on FD and they don't know how to chaingrab, then FD would be in your favor. Play to your strengths.

Astherath

Smash Cadet
It really depends on the match up.
Exactly this.

I personally think FoD and FD aren't advantageous with him. But then again FoD can net some really early kills off of a single DI mixup knee, and FD has the conditions for making the 0-death techchases/combos that every falcon strives for.

I would also consider the player's playstyle, as if you're a ballsy and aggro Falcon then you probably like the small spaces, but if you're more defensive then you probably like the larger stages more. I've talked to tons of Falcons who hate Dreamland more than anything because "they have too much space to run away and camp me".

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
A lot of Falcon's I play will ban FoD, and I presume it's bad because you don't have much room to run around, and low plats can mess up your SHs.

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
Platform heights interrupting short hop aerials is the most frustrating for Falcon's who are not familiar with FoD. I don't think it's that bad, you just have to learn how to move around the stage and maintain your threat, but you have to do it differently compared to other stages.

Saullix

Smash Rookie
I personally don't like Yoshi's and FoD, but I like FD, Dreamland, and Pokemon if you want to count that one. But I've only been able to play melee for 2 weeks in the last 4-5 years. I feel like I die too easily on FoD and Yoshi's, while also not being able to finish off quick stocks there like I should. I like Dreamland and FD because I dashdance in the neutral a lot though, and I can still finish people off horizontally easily. Falcon doesn't really care about the height of stages too much, but that's more matchup dependent.

KingKirb

Smash Journeyman
A lot of people say FoD, but I disagree. The small stage really hurts falcon's movement, but I think its a good stage for falcon because of the high ceiling (falcon doesn't kill off the top) and the platforms are great for stomps and whatnot. Also you can wall jump.

I don't believe falcon has any bad stages. Each stage has pros and cons against certain matchups. For example, you wouldn't bring peach to dreamland

Twinkles

Smash Lord
A lot of people say FoD, but I disagree. The small stage really hurts falcon's movement, but I think its a good stage for falcon because of the high ceiling (falcon doesn't kill off the top) and the platforms are great for stomps and whatnot. Also you can wall jump.

I don't believe falcon has any bad stages. Each stage has pros and cons against certain matchups. For example, you wouldn't bring peach to dreamland
I would totally take a Peach to Dreamland. s2j would too. You have so much space to run circles around her.

Stages seem pretty MU dependent for the most part IMO but I'd say Yoshi's and FoD are consistently Falcon's worst stages in general. There's a lot of tricks you can do on both stages to make them both better picks, but consistently in every MU it limits the space Falcon has to move around and Falcon has a really rough time when he's cornered. Thankfully, people are not perfect and there'll be lots of times you can jank out even really good players on either stage, it just gets significantly harder when someone else knows the stage as well as you do.

Ennui_

Smash Rookie
Besides the obvious FoD I feel that Yoshi's is exceedingly disadvantageous for Falcon. The confined space in conjunction with its blast zones really just screw him imo

Mr.Enzo

Smash Rookie
Besides the obvious FoD I feel that Yoshi's is exceedingly disadvantageous for Falcon. The confined space in conjunction with its blast zones really just screw him imo
Nah, I think Yoshi's story is so fun. So much you can do.

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
It's all MU dependent.

Smaller stages are harder for Falcon when he needs space to get away or set the neutral for his advantage, but at the same time, both of the small stages (YS and FoD) have short horizontal blast zones, making the knee even more lethal.

I could see taking a Peach to YS being a good idea, where FoD still works well with her recovery and FoDsmash.

I usually want platforms against a Puff to help with getting away from rest setups, and a smaller stage can net your faster kills with bair and knee, but you have to weigh how well you can move on those stages when you're being pressured by puff, who mainly uses aerial momentum so stage structure is less of a hindrance on mobility.

I don't want to take Marth to YS because the platform heights cater to tippered FSmash, and you have to be wary of Pokémon Stadium as well as BF (possibly the second worst stage in this MU for Falcon) as their platforms are also tipper bait, so often DL is the go to place against Marth.

I could go on, but the way you find the answer to what works best in each MU is by asking:

What does Falcon need to control neutral space?

What does my Opponent need to control neutral space?

How does this stage cater to each characters strengths and weaknesses?

A common assumption that most people make when approaching this game is that there are set answers to large over arching problems. The reality is, that there are usually multiple answers, but they all depend upon the context of the situation. Melee is more like a conversation set in a puzzle, rather than an equation.

Eggggggggggbert

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi's is such an odd stage for Falcon.On one hand, it somewhat breaks the cardinal rule of giving Falcon a lot of room to run and be free, something all Falcon's need. But on the other hand it gives him alternative recovery/gimp/edgeguard options through wall jumping (also additional recovery potential through Randal, although minute) and also the small blast borders allow knees to be all that much more effective. Overall its my favourite stage and I aim to pick it during any match, but I'm also not angry when its banned because it may give me an opportunity to pick up a MU-advantageous map. It's my wildcard, really.
That's my input on Yoshi's.

Top Bottom