• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A "What if Zelda was a girl?" : Zelda Q&A COME HERE FIRST WITH YOUR ZELDA QUESTIONS.

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
What is this phenomenon where I would sometimes glide during the beginning part of Farores Wind? It really messes up my recovery. Does it have something to do with having my second jump?
If you use Farore's during your second jump, the momentum of the jump would "glide" you in the air and carry you further during the move. Something to keep in mind when recovering with Zelda, which may or may not help you depending on the situation.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
If you use Farore's during your second jump, the momentum of the jump would "glide" you in the air and carry you further during the move. Something to keep in mind when recovering with Zelda, which may or may not help you depending on the situation.
Thanks! I figured it was because of my mid air jump.

DCavalier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cavalierredeyes
Switch FC
SW 5638 2481 3507
Does anyone know why Grounded Farore's Wind has different teleport distances?

For example:

Normal Grounded FW:
:GCU::GCB: +:GCR: = Max Distance Grounded FW

:GCU::GCB: + :GCR: + :GCDR: = Medium Distance Grounded FW

:GCU::GCB: + :GCD: + :GCDR: = Minimum Distance Grounded FW

Where:

Maximum Distance = Roughly Half Omega Stage

Medium Distance = Half Maximum Distance

Minimum Distance = Two Zeldas

I was able to do this consistently, but timimg is tricky there is something else that probably let's you control FW distance.

Does anyone know why this happens ?

Is this a known tech ?

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Does anyone know why Grounded Farore's Wind has different teleport distances?

For example:

Normal Grounded FW:
:GCU::GCB: +:GCR: = Max Distance Grounded FW

:GCU::GCB: + :GCR: + :GCDR: = Medium Distance Grounded FW

:GCU::GCB: + :GCD: + :GCDR: = Minimum Distance Grounded FW

Where:

Maximum Distance = Roughly Half Omega Stage

Medium Distance = Half Maximum Distance

Minimum Distance = Two Zeldas

I was able to do this consistently, but timimg is tricky there is something else that probably let's you control FW distance.

Does anyone know why this happens ?

Is this a known tech ?
This is a known tech that existed since Brawl, and probably since Melee too. It's just something you have control over, no glitches or strange things about it. c:

DCavalier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cavalierredeyes
Switch FC
SW 5638 2481 3507
This is a known tech that existed since Brawl, and probably since Melee too. It's just something you have control over, no glitches or strange things about it. c:
But how do u control it ??

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
But how do u control it ??
If I am understanding your question correctly, you want to know how to control the distances for grounded Farore's Wind, correct? The button scheme you gave me is exactly how you control it, and there's really no other way that you can do otherwise.

If you want to use grounded Farore's Wind to the right, you can UpB, then with angle geometry:

0° -> Full distance FW :GCR:
-30° -> Half distance FW:GCR::GCDR:
-60° -> Very slight distance FW:GCDR::GCD:
-90° -> Stay exactly where you are. :GCD:

Another note is that if you want to use Farore's in the air, and want to land on the ground, you can't actually perfectly land on the ground with FW in this game. You MUST travel the full distance even after you technically reached the ground, meaning that you will be traveling further than what you may have thought to be. This might be the part that is difficult to control for you, so just letting you know that air FW must travel a set distance, and will "bounce" off platforms in order to do so. Hope this helps!

DCavalier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cavalierredeyes
Switch FC
SW 5638 2481 3507
If I am understanding your question correctly, you want to know how to control the distances for grounded Farore's Wind, correct? The button scheme you gave me is exactly how you control it, and there's really no other way that you can do otherwise.

If you want to use grounded Farore's Wind to the right, you can UpB, then with angle geometry:

0° -> Full distance FW :GCR:
-30° -> Half distance FW:GCR::GCDR:
-60° -> Very slight distance FW:GCDR::GCD:
-90° -> Stay exactly where you are. :GCD:

Another note is that if you want to use Farore's in the air, and want to land on the ground, you can't actually perfectly land on the ground with FW in this game. You MUST travel the full distance even after you technically reached the ground, meaning that you will be traveling further than what you may have thought to be. This might be the part that is difficult to control for you, so just letting you know that air FW must travel a set distance, and will "bounce" off platforms in order to do so. Hope this helps!
Thanks.

Ok, I just wanted confirmation on the inputs.

I know that aerial Farore locks to maximum distance always.

Thanks again.

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
I am just starting to get into using Zelda more seriously, and browsing through the Zelda forum here I'm not sure there is there really one place where Zelda's combos and strings are being compiled, is that correct?

I did find a list of combos in GrouZekJr.'s Guide, as well as in Zelda Guide by D3RK: "Lightning Looks Good On You" linked in the OP, and there are several threads where combos are discussed, like Zelda's 30%+ Combo, among others. So I guess I do have a lot I can work with!

Also, are there any good video competitive tutorials out there that anyone recommends (especially ones showing the combos)? Just trying to understand Zelda's basics and build from there.

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
Suppose this is the place to ask this, I was messing around with some Zelda in FG, and i did a move similar to wave shine in melee using Zeldas Neutral B Nayru's Love against a Fox.
I short hopped into my opponent who was close the the edge and executed Nayru's Love hurting them and pushing them off the ledge, i followed immediately after them doing it again as the started their Up B recovery, basically spiking them to their death as i recovered with the teleport.

Unsure if i saved the replay, will need to check tonight, but is this a tech? or has this happened to anyone? It was so smooth and fast and would love to be able to do it again.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Suppose this is the place to ask this, I was messing around with some Zelda in FG, and i did a move similar to wave shine in melee using Zeldas Neutral B Nayru's Love against a Fox.
I short hopped into my opponent who was close the the edge and executed Nayru's Love hurting them and pushing them off the ledge, i followed immediately after them doing it again as the started their Up B recovery, basically spiking them to their death as i recovered with the teleport.

Unsure if i saved the replay, will need to check tonight, but is this a tech? or has this happened to anyone? It was so smooth and fast and would love to be able to do it again.
Are you sure that it was a spike or did he just fall at normal speed without inputting his up-B again? I suspect that you hit Fox with one of the 1% hitboxes of Nayru's Love thereby cancelling his up-B and he fell out of the rest of the move. This seems plausible if you're above him when the impact happens since Zelda stalls in the air while in the Nayru's Love animation while Fox would fall at normal speed. If he didn't realize anything, then he might not have tried to use his up-B again. Not really a tech but fun to do. I've done something similar to this against a Link.

Unfortunately, this isn't reliable against anyone with hitboxes during their up-B's. Since Fox doesn't have a big hitbox while charging firefox, you can get away with this against him, though, if he's in the middle of using firefox, he'll go right through you (it might trade depending on where you are in relation to him). The opponent should also be able input up-B again and get back to the stage. I imagine that Fox player wasn't ready for it and the wifi lag probably didn't help him.

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
Are you sure that it was a spike or did he just fall at normal speed without inputting his up-B again? I suspect that you hit Fox with one of the 1% hitboxes of Nayru's Love thereby cancelling his up-B and he fell out of the rest of the move. This seems plausible if you're above him when the impact happens since Zelda stalls in the air while in the Nayru's Love animation while Fox would fall at normal speed. If he didn't realize anything, then he might not have tried to use his up-B again. Not really a tech but fun to do. I've done something similar to this against a Link.

Unfortunately, this isn't reliable against anyone with hitboxes during their up-B's. Since Fox doesn't have a big hitbox while charging firefox, you can get away with this against him, though, if he's in the middle of using firefox, he'll go right through you (it might trade depending on where you are in relation to him). The opponent should also be able input up-B again and get back to the stage. I imagine that Fox player wasn't ready for it and the wifi lag probably didn't help him.
Yeah, sorry, spiking was not the correct term there. You are correct in it stalling their up B and falling to their doom. It just looked really cool and smooth at the time and if it could be performed reliably. Would be a great gimping tool.

Thanks for the reply :)

DCavalier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cavalierredeyes
Switch FC
SW 5638 2481 3507
I was messing around with Farore's Wind, trying to practice my setups and I found (not sure if already known) a sort of landing lag cancel for Aerial Farore's Wind.

It reduces the lag to roughly half, sometimes more while still keeping the reappearing hitbox.

It has very strict timing, but the lag reduction should be noticeable when you do it correctly.

How I did it:

* Full Hop Rising Farore's Wind
- When almost at full hop initiate FW in a way that it keeps the jump momentum so FW drags you up

* Redirect FW diagonally to the ground at max angle possible
- Right after FH FW tilt the stick diagonally down to the side you want to redirect FW.

- If done correctly Zelda will reappear right above the ground but not touching it and will initiate the 'touching the ground' animation where she sort of crouches

-- You should not reappear on the ground or normal landing lag will kick in.

- After this you can attack with any move

- If opponent is close you should react with a quick attack like dtilt , utilt or jab

Note:
* It's not necessary to do it with full hop, it can be done as long as you do the 'touching the ground' animation for the lag of FW to cancel

* This should help to cover Zelda's bad reaction time when we miss a FW.
* This is just another option and will not solve Zelda's other problems

* Will test some more to see what other uses can be found

Last edited:

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
I was messing around with Farore's Wind, trying to practice my setups and I found (not sure if already known) a sort of landing lag cancel for Aerial Farore's Wind.

It reduces the lag to roughly half, sometimes more while still keeping the reappearing hitbox.

It has very strict timing, but the lag reduction should be noticeable when you do it correctly.

How I did it:

- When almost at full hop initiate FW in a way that it keeps the jump momentum so FW drags you up

- Right after FH FW tilt the stick diagonally down to the side you want to redirect FW.

- If done correctly Zelda will reappear right above the ground but not touching it and will initiate the 'touching the ground' animation where she sort of crouches

- If opponent is close you should react with a quick attack like dtilt , utilt or jab

Note:
* It's not necessary to do it with full hop, it can be done as long as you do the 'touching the ground' animation for the lag of FW to cancel

I've definitely cancelled the lag of FW with a similar strategy but I've always cancelled the reappear hitbox as well. The timing and positioning for that was also very strict. Are these two separate phenomena done very close to each others' timing?

DCavalier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cavalierredeyes
Switch FC
SW 5638 2481 3507
I've definitely cancelled the lag of FW with a similar strategy but I've always cancelled the reappear hitbox as well. The timing and positioning for that was also very strict. Are these two separate phenomena done very close to each others' timing?
Yeah, it's hard to pull of mainly because of the diagonal redirection of FW.
I noticed that when Zelda reappears it briefly enters freefall then almost instantly enters the other animation.
So yeah the events happen very very close to each other.

About the hitbox, I will test again for it just to be sure, but I'm pretty sure it did hit the Marth punching bag I was using.

We are probably talking about the same tech.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Exciting news! I absolutely pulled this off in a real match against some really good players today! Only once though because it's incredibly tough but I can verify that it is, in fact, a thing. The hitbox came out and I got to move immediately after the opponent was sent flying. This was actually when I teleported horizontally back onto the stage so I can also confirm that it can be done from any angle so long as you reappear right above the stage.

DCavalier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cavalierredeyes
Switch FC
SW 5638 2481 3507
Exciting news! I absolutely pulled this off in a real match against some really good players today! Only once though because it's incredibly tough but I can verify that it is, in fact, a thing. The hitbox came out and I got to move immediately after the opponent was sent flying. This was actually when I teleported horizontally back onto the stage so I can also confirm that it can be done from any angle so long as you reappear right above the stage.
Was going to post about horizontal one but you beat me to it.

Also noticed something else that probably increases the success ratio of the tech.

* I noticed that if you use Aerial FW after the apex of a jump (when you are falling) FH or SH the momentum of the fall transfers to FW reappearance.

- What this means is that when you reappear after a FW the falling momentum carries Zelda faster to the ground giving a little more tolerance to the already crazy timing.

* To understand what I'm talking about do this:
- Jump and do a FW to the right before the apex of the jump
-- You should see Zelda reappear and kind of stay floating for a little before starting to fall

- Now Jump and after Zelda starts falling do the same FW to the right
-- You should see Zelda reappears only this time the falling momentum makes Zelda not float like in the previous example and instantly starts falling

* Cool to get confirmation from someone else

Last edited:

ConfusedSloth

Smash Rookie
So I was wondering how everyone else would try to land when sent flying into the air but not off the edge. ie - Captain falcon grabs and dThrows now your stuck in the air. What would you do? Would you try for a spot dodge and try to get on the stage or would you perhaps just float towards the edge of the stage and climb up from there? Would love to hear what others would prefer to do.

Side Note - What would you do if you fought a player who constantly spot dodged against you? Generally I would use Naru's Love or maybe a shielded Usmash but I was wondering if there were any safer options besides these ones.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
landing is complicated for Zelda because she has a hard time landing from being forced in the air and changes on a player/character/stage/situation constantly. Going to the ledge or air dodging your way down (not into the ground) is probably the safer approach to landing but there are times when muscling your way down with Dair is an option or even Faroes to get away. Sometimes timing a nayrus for the invincibility can help you land. In some situations a simple double jump near the ground the towards your opponent to jump past them is an option because Zelda still has good air movement speed.

as for spotdidges best thing to do is try to read it as best you can with a nayrus, fsmash, dtilt sometimes usnash.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
If you're sent into the air, generally, your best bet is to aim for the ledge. Be wary of whether the opponent is going to try for a followup and airdodge it. We have no other choices against aerial followups. Don't get baited into one though. Since Zelda can't land safely, she's actually better off grabbing the ledge and turning the situation into an edgeguard situation instead of a landing situation because Zelda does better getting up to the stage via the ledge than getting down to it from the air. If the opponent tries to follow you off the stage, don't be afraid to fall away from the stage since Zelda's recovery is amazing. This is the best way for Zelda to return to neutral under those circumstances in my opinion.

An opponent that loves spot dodging will find Zelda to be a tremendously tough MU since Zelda's kit is built to destroy defensive options like this. If the opponent spot dodges, you can use Nayru's Love, dashing usmash, fsmash, wait for the spotdodge to end and punish with anything you please (we like to punish with elevator around 70% or SH bair around 80). It takes more practice to know the vulnerability between spotdodges but that's what makes you better. If you're feeling like you need to keep it as safe as possible, use jab to punish spotdodges. It's 3 hits so it ought to cover a lot of the dodge's iframes but it'll do a small amount of damage. Granted, you can follow up with a grab, ftilt, or dash attack from jab which makes it a good option as well.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
@ ConfusedSloth ConfusedSloth I just wanted to let you know I've merged your thread with the Zelda Q/A thread. Don't be shy with asking questions, but please use this Q/A thread for any questions about Zelda in the future. ^ ^

ConfusedSloth

Smash Rookie
I have a question about shield boost grabs, so I been trying to test the distance of it on dreamland omega mode since the flowers help gauge the distance but I can't tell if I'm even inputting the buttons correctly or not. As I play the 3ds version I generally use shield + A to grab anyways but what I'm not sure of is if I have to see the animation of the shield going up for it to work or not. Also can someone tell me just how much extra distance it gives to normal grab as I seriously can't tell if its just me inputting the grab button at different spots or not.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
If you're sent into the air, generally, your best bet is to aim for the ledge. Be wary of whether the opponent is going to try for a followup and airdodge it. We have no other choices against aerial followups. Don't get baited into one though. Since Zelda can't land safely, she's actually better off grabbing the ledge and turning the situation into an edgeguard situation instead of a landing situation because Zelda does better getting up to the stage via the ledge than getting down to it from the air. If the opponent tries to follow you off the stage, don't be afraid to fall away from the stage since Zelda's recovery is amazing. This is the best way for Zelda to return to neutral under those circumstances in my opinion.

An opponent that loves spot dodging will find Zelda to be a tremendously tough MU since Zelda's kit is built to destroy defensive options like this. If the opponent spot dodges, you can use Nayru's Love, dashing usmash, fsmash, wait for the spotdodge to end and punish with anything you please (we like to punish with elevator around 70% or SH bair around 80). It takes more practice to know the vulnerability between spotdodges but that's what makes you better. If you're feeling like you need to keep it as safe as possible, use jab to punish spotdodges. It's 3 hits so it ought to cover a lot of the dodge's iframes but it'll do a small amount of damage. Granted, you can follow up with a grab, ftilt, or dash attack from jab which makes it a good option as well.
May I ask about Zeldas customs more?
Ok, her best NeutralB custom....thats our normal Neutral correct? I could see why Squall wouldnt be best, losing our best get me off option, having no invincibility, cant even reflect projectiles, Does it even KO?

I dont wanna have to ask too much so I wanna know whats generally her best customs to use and why?
Also I would like to know if you play doubles? I figured because we can all agree Zelda is much better in doubles then singles, that a few of her more situational customs may come in handy like the UpB that has a winbox entirely.

Do you play doubles Zylach? if so, what was it like? did it feel like Zelda was completely different or something?

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
May I ask about Zeldas customs more?
Ok, her best NeutralB custom....thats our normal Neutral correct? I could see why Squall wouldnt be best, losing our best get me off option, having no invincibility, cant even reflect projectiles, Does it even KO?

I dont wanna have to ask too much so I wanna know whats generally her best customs to use and why?
Also I would like to know if you play doubles? I figured because we can all agree Zelda is much better in doubles then singles, that a few of her more situational customs may come in handy like the UpB that has a winbox entirely.

Do you play doubles Zylach? if so, what was it like? did it feel like Zelda was completely different or something?
Personally, I use what is mostly agreed on as Zelda's best customs set, 1213. That means I keep default Nayru's and default Farore's Wind. What I change is Din's Fire to Din's flare because the smaller hitbox is actually a buff as it almost always sweetspots and the inability to move it vertically isn't even that big a problem tbh. I also switch out Phantom slash for phantom strike because faster charge, no blindspot, and more damage is good. I've seen people swap Nayru's Love for Nayru's Rejection for the ability to flip people around as they recover. I don't much care for this as Zelda already has enough offstage tools to handle most recoveries and those that she can't handle aren't handled by rejection. Not many people use passion. Din's blaze is only really useful in doubles where precise placement is important and your partner can have the opponent's attention making it actually surprising when it's placed lol. Farore's Squall is useful in certain MU's to get out of combos but that's about it. It's a hyper-defensive option in place of a hyper offensive option so tradeoffs. Farore's Windfall is useless. Phantom breaker can come in handy as a midrange poke. Fully charging it is almost never worth it as it will never break shields anyway because it's two hits. The first hit can be safely shielded while the second hit can be spotdodged. Harmless.

Yes, I've participated in doubles before. I've teamed up with a friend of mine, IGNO, at local Madison tourneys who plays Robin and pulled Pit out once or twice. I also participated in doubles with another friend of mine, Nightwing, at Smash & Splash who plays Ganon and Charizard. The doubles format is completely different from singles. Zelda is completely different in customs especially with a partner that has the attention of both opponents so I can pepper the opponents with flares. I've especially had fun in a 2v1 situation where IGNO and I lobbed fire at our opponent until he died. Getting in on a Robin/Zelda team is quite a feat. Furthermore, knowing where the opponent will go when your teammate does something is key to doubles. Although we hadn't played as a team often, Nightwing and I quickly started getting accustomed to where the opponent would be after throws so we could offer guaranteed followups.

Zelda's better in doubles because, with a good teammate, Zelda won't have constant pressure in her face which she doesn't do well with. Furthermore, she can followup her teammate's attacks with devastating attacks of her own including Lkicks and elevator kills. She's also very capable at helping her teammate when they are in danger as she can be there instantly with FW and can cover their recoveries by throwing out one of her really long-lasting attacks at opponents waiting to edgeguard giving her teammate a lot of time get back on stage safely provided they get hit or shield her attacks and she doesn't just miss lol. FW is what really makes her special in doubles because opponents can't see it coming when they're dealing with your teammate. It's especially useful when they commit to a smash attack or something against your teammate. Zelda can just teleport in while they're in the animation and say, "NO!" which can often end in a kill.

Just be sure to save your stocks as well as you can. Zelda has some great survivability because of her amazing recovery and, having a teammate that can be easily gimped for example, you will want to use your survivability to give your teammate extra stocks when they need it. This is something Nightwing and I had to to often as he was losing stocks much more often than I was since he was always up in the face of the opponent (especially against a particular Lucario/Villager team that utilized a glitch to kill us at 0%) so he needed to take my stocks while I held back and supported him with flares unless one of the opponents decided to come towards me in which case I'd play very defensively.

Doubles is all about teamwork. You can't just play singles against one of your opponents while your teammate plays singles with the other. That's not how doubles should work. The first step is understanding your teammate. You need to know their patterns better than the opponent does.

As for customs shenanigans, Zelda doesn't have the crazy stuff that other characters have. I suspect a well spaced fully charged phantom breaker might be useful in doubles and I've been curious about experimenting with Squall as the windbox can be useful for pushing your teammate into the opponents. I should've done this with Ganon but didn't because sliding warlock punch sounds terrifying. I've seen some Din's Blaze shenanigans in which Zelda can have 3 of them onscreen at once when paired with a Sonic or Pacman but it requires so much setup that the opponent wouldn't ever let it happen. I just know that Zelda can reflect projectiles back at her teammate which is useful when paired with Villager. Pocketed phantom kills ridiculously early and reflected pocketed trees kill at 0% I believe.

For the record, my most glorious moment in doubles came when I Lkicked someone offstage where, Nightwing, playing as Ganon, was recovering high. He proceeded to dair that poor sucker straight into the abyss.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Awesome :D that sounds fantastic dude, great job :) I hope to see your doubles play sometime too, great write-up(as usual) :p
Thanks for the info.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
So I heard max distance Din's Fire fills 3 units of G&W's bucket?

Is this true and if yes, how strong is the Oil Panic?

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
So I heard max distance Din's Fire fills 3 units of G&W's bucket?

Is this true and if yes, how strong is the Oil Panic?
Actually, I'll test this today and bring back the results. Wild guess is it's an OHKO if you bucket max distance at the sweet-spot.

Could it maybe be something for teams? I like the sound of Zelda being useful, lol.

@ Alacion Alacion my bad for getting back a little late, I didn't realize I'd be away from home for like, literally the entire day after I said I'd do that. >,<

I have done it noe though, and G&W doesn't even get a full bucket from a maximum distance Din's. Only 2/3.

I guess that could be good news in the MU? If it even gets used.

Last edited:

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice

How I did it:

Note:

I'm having trouble with this. I've had her do the crouch before, but that seems laggy too?

Paxadin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Paxadin
3DS FC
2767-1146-9743
Anyone got tips for hitting small characters with fair and bair sweetspots?

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Anyone got tips for hitting small characters with fair and bair sweetspots?
Dee is right. Lkicks are risky enough as is without having to worry about landing them on tiny speedy characters too. Fair and bair are nearly useless in MU's like Pika, Kirby, even G&W. If you still wanna try, I would suggest only using them on your opponent when they are grounded. This means you don't have to worry about an entire other dimension of aiming. Furthermore, practicing the timing on frame cancelling your kicks will help heavily since you land the same frame as the hitbox meaning that's as low as you can possibly go with the hitbox so that's your best bet at hitting them given their height. Basically, just go into training mode and SH fair/bair on the poor cpu while getting as close to the ground as possible before the hitbox stops coming out. Oftentimes, you won't get a perfect frame cancel since you literally have to be frame perfect but getting the timing down for going as low as possible helps against short characters whether you cancel the frames or not. Besides, if you're gonna use a move with 50+ FAF, you might as well land with it as soon as possible so you only have to worry about the 20-ish frames of landing lag instead.

Paxadin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Paxadin
3DS FC
2767-1146-9743
Yeah, that's what I figured, thank you for the answer.
Was wondering if there was some magical tip for hitting them, so far my favorite match up has been against Ganons, just because they're big walking targets to Lkicks.

Mr_Klick

Smash Rookie
NNID
mrormissshiek
3DS FC
3523-2417-7451
So just watched Nairo playing Zelda and now I'm super interested in her so please give me some beginner tips and BnB combos thanks!

SPAZ494

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4511-0835-8425
I recently started using Zelda as a secondary character, and she may be my main in the near future because I enjoy playing her a lot! Anyway, I was wondering if Zelda has moves that can jab reset? Does Dtilt work? Any others?

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
The only moves that induce a jab reset for Zelda are sourspotted fair, dair, and bair. That's it.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Mr_Klick said:
So just watched Nairo playing Zelda and now I'm super interested in her so please give me some beginner tips and BnB combos thanks!
If you are wanting to learn Zelda I would read the social all the way through. Lulz

Or this guide's really good. Hopefully the link works. http://smash4guides.weebly.com

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I just thought i'd merge your thread with the Zelda Q&A, since this would be an appropriate thread for questions and tips on Zelda, @ Mr_Klick Mr_Klick

Also @ Zylach Zylach answers questions in here and he's really good at it. >w>'

Last edited:

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
I have been summoned?

*Thanks BJN :D*

Edit: Tips and BnB combos? Yes, I will do that.

Tip #1: Zelda is a very defensive character that relies on her opponents to approach her. Don't play aggressively as Zelda unless your opponent is in the disadvantaged state (i.e. offstage or you've hit them and they're trying to reset to neutral). You can space against your opponent with nair (though the disjoint isn't that good but it allows you to be mobile), jab, ftilt, and fsmash (fsmash has very long range and multihits for stuffing approaches but also has a lot of endlag so it's highly punishable so use it sparingly). Don't expect to pressure your opponents with Zelda's "projectiles." Din's is slow, predictable, and leaves Zelda open for punishment while she channels it. Phantom is also slow, predictable, and leaves Zelda open for punishment. These tools are more for edgeguarding than anything else.

Tip #2: Embrace your shield. Zelda has the best OoS options of the roster with Nayru's Love, Farore's Wind (for kills), bair, dtilt for speedy setups (It takes some practice to not spotdodge while trying to input dtilt), and dsmash for immediate pressure relief if they get too-too close.

Tip #3: Embrace your offstage game. Zelda's onstage game is decent. Her neutral game isn't but she's not bad at spacing some characters out and can dish out good damage from her strings. Zelda's offstage game, however, is phenomenal. Because she covers so much distance with FW and is intangible for the entire duration of the teleport, she can get back to the stage safely after pressuring an opponent offstage. She's got two multihit moves in Nayru's Love and nair to catch opponents that try to airdodge and her dair is the second best spiking tool in the game behind Ganon so long as you sweetspot it. Sourspot dair can ruin some characters' recoveries anyway and the sourspot hitbox lingers a little while so throwing it out can very often net you a successful gimp.

Combos: Zelda BnB combos generally come from grab. With such a slow and punishable grab, they're risky to start but can net you upwards of 30%+ depending on your opponent. On fastfallers such as the heavyweights, uthrow>utilt chains/usmash>nair works very well. You can also substitute the nair with a Lkick if you're precise. Dthrow is our standard combo starter and typically leads into nair strings or Lkicks. The most reliable followup from dthrow from around 50% and up is uair which can be a kill combo. Both of Zelda's combo throws can be DI'ed, however, so you'll have to read your opponent's DI in order to get followups. Other than grab, dtilt is our most reliable combo starter which can lead into more dtilts, dsmash, utilt at very low percents, usmash at low percents, Lkicks, nair, uair, and jab. That jab can combo into a dash attack for upwards of 20-ish %.

You'll be playing a punish heavy game as Zelda, capitalizing on your opponent's actions. You'll need to practice when you can and can't punish your foe. Oftentimes, this will be when they land with an aerial/airdodge but not always as fast characters can land with aerials and followup instantly. Playing Zelda is very much about knowing your opponent's options and knowing when they've used an option that you can capitalize on. That's as succinct a summary as I can think of right now. Feel free to ask any other questions if something's not clear or I didn't cover something entirely.

Last edited:

MageofSymphonia

Smash Rookie
So I've been maining Zelda for awhile and there have been some peculiar things that have happened to me and wondering if you guys have had the same things happen to you.

For starters, Nayru's Love had been the strangest thing for me, usually you'd get invincibility frames for a short period, but I have people trumping me quite a lot especially when you see the animation start up, also with the animation starting and for Zelda to have at least done one full rotation, as well I find a deadzone in the hitbox when my opponent is right in front of me, I've had people grab me during my animation and you'd literally see the crystal animation turned on its side and thrown up and the animation is still happening. I'm not sure if the devs touched this move but could you guys clarify for me on this. If they did, wow that was unnecessary to have done.

Also, she seems to have bit slower startup than almost every character in this game, if I were to use jab or even my nair the same exact time my opponent uses the same move, I'd get trumped 10/10 times. Also,s it seems she can't shield as fast as other characters nor grab as fast as for example, say I were to use a nair and try to grab, my opponent would have enough time to dodge it and punish, I have no problem with stuff like this when I'm playing my ZSS. Her grab is another curiosity, it seems like the grab is actually initiated a little over 10 frames after pressing the z button as opposed to being an immediate grab, this I've begun to notice recently.

Also, this one has costed me so many games, but is her free fall state more punishing than other characters? Say if i were to use up b and free fell, other characters can still move horizontally after the animation ends, but with Zelda, she's actually stuck falling in a straight vertical line unable to move horizontally. Another thing with her u b is when it comes to stage recovery. I have a feeling it may just be me missing the ledge, but she has gone under the stage quite a few times costing me a game especially in tournaments. The most bizarre thing that happened to me with her up b misfiring was in castle siege during the stage transition. I sent my opponent in the air and inputted to teleport at 11 o' clock to kill him, but then I got sent towards a 3 o' clock direction off stage, my opponent looked at me confused cause even he knows that the only way for that to happen is if i were to purposely SD since my teleport went in the complete opposite direction of my input.

Overall, it seems like she has a lot of mechanics and stage that really work against her a lot. Any advice on how to work around these shortcomings? I've already been putting in a lot of work trying to fix my play style with her to becoming more efficient

Last edited:

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
she just has more lag than most characters, because shes slow. her invincibility frames on nayrus doesnt start till frame 5, so that gives a little window for people to hit you before the invincibility starts. as for her grab, her grab is frame 10, which is kinda slow too. as for her up-b, has a lot of lag after you use it, so its going to take longer to start moving after youve used it. all in all, its just she has laggy moves. the sd's you got from farores are just the mechanics of it, basically it "rides" edges. the best way i could really get used to it, was (if you have one) go into training mode or just in a regular match on 3ds, tap your portrait and a little box should appear around your character. if you teleport, the box will still follow and you can kinda see how it works. thats just how i got used to it.

Top Bottom