• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What if there was a knockback-based platform fighter with MvC/DBFZ-like "juggle fighter" elements?

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I don't know if one already does but I'd really like to see something like that. Whether they keep the percentages or switch to a regular health system, or maybe even some sort of hybrid having lengthy combos in a platform fighter would be a pretty interesting marriage of fighting sub genres.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I don't know if one already does but I'd really like to see something like that. Whether they keep the percentages or switch to a regular health system, or maybe even some sort of hybrid having lengthy combos in a platform fighter would be a pretty interesting marriage of fighting sub genres.
There was PlayStation All-Stars to be fair, but that was an abortive attempt to make a "super-based" platform fighter a thing.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Is this what this thread was looking for?

Can't wait for MvC fans to mod it if anything.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Is this what this thread was looking for?

Can't wait for MvC fans to mod it if anything.
Looks pretty promising. Gameplay seems to flow well, and we got to see a couple characters, stages and modes right off the bat. Overall a good first impression, though I will say the music makes me think of a trainer battle in Pokemon for whatever reason. Not a bad thing, just the first thing that came to mind.

The characters themselves seem alright too. The ninja hound seems to be the poster boy/"main" character, though if I'm being honest he feels the least interesting to me. Visually at least, otherwise he looks to be an interesting mix of inspirations gameplay wise.

He seems to be a mix of Ryu with a lot pulled from the Smash spacies wrapped up in a ninja theming. Basically putting the Fox expy front and center. Not surprised there.

I'm more interested in the skull/blade guy and not Nakoruru/bat Mononoke. The press kit on their website has key art of a couple more characters. Out of those, the cyborg skateboarder and presumed Bowser stand in caught my eye. The swordswoman too, but I feel like her design might be a bit to close to Sophitia from Soul Calibur and Helen from Blade Strangers.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Looks pretty promising. Gameplay seems to flow well, and we got to see a couple characters, stages and modes right off the bat. Overall a good first impression, though I will say the music makes me think of a trainer battle in Pokemon for whatever reason. Not a bad thing, just the first thing that came to mind.

The characters themselves seem alright too. The ninja hound seems to be the poster boy/"main" character, though if I'm being honest he feels the least interesting to me. Visually at least, otherwise he looks to be an interesting mix of inspirations gameplay wise.

He seems to be a mix of Ryu with a lot pulled from the Smash spacies wrapped up in a ninja theming. Basically putting the Fox expy front and center. Not surprised there.

I'm more interested in the skull/blade guy and not Nakoruru/bat Mononoke. The press kit on their website has key art of a couple more characters. Out of those, the cyborg skateboarder and presumed Bowser stand in caught my eye. The swordswoman too, but I feel like her design might be a bit to close to Sophitia from Soul Calibur and Helen from Blade Strangers.
To be fair, are shotos supposed to be "interesting" per se? They're mainly just there to teach the basics of the game to newer players.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
To be fair, are shotos supposed to be "interesting" per se? They're mainly just there to teach the basics of the game to newer players.
I mean, they're not meant to be uninteresting either, just a byproduct of them leaning towards the simpler side. I realize I'm in the minority l, but I actually tend to quite like a lot of the poster characters. I personally don't find characters like Ryu, Morrigan/Demitri, Filia, etc. to be bland. That goes for both visual design and gameplay.

I will admit, part of the reason I likely feel this way about the dog in particular is because there have been a good number new platform fighters at this point and they almost always tend to give a spotlight to the Fox/spacie expy. Not that that's inherently bad either, there's loads of shotos in traditional fighters as is. It's just that while shoto style characters have diverged and had more variance over the years, some of the Fox clones are more derivative for the express purpose of trying to be like Melee.

I can't say for sure based on the little shown in the trailer, but I'm almost positive I saw Fox forward air and Fox Illusion at one point. There was plenty of not straight up Fox stuff too, so that's definitely a plus.

That said, I'm perfectly fine with spacie style characters. If anything, I think the archetype is a must for platform fighters, it's just that at times it does feel like there's a bit of a hyper focus on Melee Fox to the point of making the absurd meme stuff seem almost legitimate.

Thankfully that doesn't quite seem to be the case here. My only other complaint about the character is purely on the design. I just don't like the way his face looks in game compared to the art. That's very nitpicky at that point though.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Well, I'm hoping that instead of/in addition to waveshining the game will just let you jump/wavedash-cancel every grounded normal. No point in a game like that leaving "waveshining" to just the Fox expy.

Top Bottom