• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What If: Taunting to Recover Health

Yaargh!

Smash Rookie
I remembered how air-boxing while the opponent was down restored a little bit of health in Punch Out! Wii and I wondered how everyone would react if they put this mechanic on Little Mac.

Imagine it: You just tanked a hit with your F-Smash and knocked someone pretty far off-stage. You don't want to chase them off since "you're not an air fighter, Mac."

So you do a little taunt while they're getting back to the stage and get about 4% back.

You could do it after you just knocked someone the frick out, too.

Also the Wi-Fi taunt limit would make this hard to take advantage of but who cares this is just a "What If" scenario.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Little Mac does not need any buffs of any sort.

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
I like the idea. Since Little Mac is discouraged from chasing people off stage, when they don't die it kind of leaves him with a few seconds of "well I guess I'll just wait then". I think it would work better if it recovered like 1-3%. Nothing game changing but at the same time "why not?"

It makes really good use of his game's mechanics.

Little Mac does not need any buffs of any sort.
Mac is only about mid-tier. Getting buffed or nerfed isn't out of the question, especially when they aren't even significant changes. 476

Last edited:

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
Says who?
http://www.eventhubs.com/tiers/ssb4/ - an entire community at large
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/632937-super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-3ds/70286012
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/10/super-smash-bros-3ds-characters-ranked/
and the two other semi-full tier lists I could find on google. Validity aside, it's pretty common knowledge that he has the best ground game of the roster coupled with the worst air game. Wouldn't you think best + worst = somewhere around the middle?

Last edited:

Bajike

Smash Rookie
NNID
LemonCurry4
3DS FC
4699-7410-6167
I don't think this would be a good idea, though.

Doruge

Smash Journeyman
and the two other semi-full tier lists I could find on google. Validity aside, it's pretty common knowledge that he has the best ground game of the roster coupled with the worst air game. Wouldn't you think best + worst = somewhere around the middle?
Those tier lists are awful. And his air/ground game don't just balance out since he's on the ground 90% of the time.

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
Those tier lists are awful. And his air/ground game don't just balance out since he's on the ground 90% of the time.
He asked for who said Little Mac was mid-ish tier so i gave him examples. I think the first one is pretty spot on given how much we currently know about the metagame except for a couple characters.

Given how much of Smash is played in the air, I would say they do balance out. no matter how much Mac tries to stay grounded he's going to get hit into the air.471

1FC0

Smash Lord
He asked for who said Little Mac was mid-ish tier so i gave him examples. I think the first one is pretty spot on given how much we currently know about the metagame except for a couple characters.

Given how much of Smash is played in the air, I would say they do balance out. no matter how much Mac tries to stay grounded he's going to get hit into the air.471
Little Mac should not be in the air that much on most stages. He has the advantage on the ground and starts on the ground so he needs to screw up first to get in the air. But the tier list should not assume that players screw up a lot so IMO Little Mac should be much higher than mid.

Although your argument would probably be valid in Rainbow Ride.

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
Little Mac should not be in the air that much on most stages. He has the advantage on the ground and starts on the ground so he needs to screw up first to get in the air. But the tier list should not assume that players screw up a lot so IMO Little Mac should be much higher than mid.

Although your argument would probably be valid in Rainbow Ride.
Tier lists go on the basis that both players are playing at an equal and optimal skill level. It isn't a matter of assuming that Little Mac needs to mess up first in order to lose, it's a matter of what options does he have to not mess up and what options does he have if he does?

Doruge

Smash Journeyman
You just can't rely on a tier list that puts Lucina above Marth and Diddy Kong at #20

1FC0

Smash Lord
Tier lists go on the basis that both players are playing at an equal and optimal skill level. It isn't a matter of assuming that Little Mac needs to mess up first in order to lose, it's a matter of what options does he have to not mess up and what options does he have if he does?

That was my point.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Tires don exits, and they really shouldn't for a two month old game.

The idea of the recovering health when taunting would be neat, but I could see a lot of people complaining.

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
You just can't rely on a tier list that puts Lucina above Marth and Diddy Kong at #20
No tier lists are going to be 100% accurate. This one is actively changing so the speciic character placements might be a little off but in general I'd say it's about right. but it's all opinion anyways.

Top Bottom