• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What if....Smash were a M-Rated game?

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Would peeps who aren't 17 or older still play it? Given that no one really pays attention to those age-labels these days (I am old enough to remember the days where you had to show an ID to buy an M-Rated game), and retailers are fine as long as you pay up, and Smash's popularity, a M-Rated label wouldn't really put a dent in Smash's sales (after all, Melee and Brawl was T-rated). And Nintendo has released M-Rated games in the past, so it wouldn't a surprise for a family-oriented publisher to release a popular M-rated title.

I do think it would be interesting to see abrasions or injuries in Smash though.. Something as simple as a scratch on Fox's face from Link's sword. I'm not advocating for gore, there's already a fair number of violence in the game, I remember before Smash 4 came out I talked about injuries being evident in the game on a FB group, and a user responded something like, "You want to see Pikachu bleed? What the **** is wrong with you?" No, but scrapes or burn marks maybe.

What do you think? What do you think the reaction would be like if Sm4sh were rated M? Or a future Smash installment for hat matter?

Discuss.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Well while I highly doubt it'd ever go into the M rating (even the Teen rating was pushing it), if it did I don't think kids would care.

If ten years old can play Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto, I think they would play M!Smash.

Last edited:

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
I'm fairly certain you still need to show an ID to buy M rated games if you look young, so I think that sales would drop a significant amount. Remember, a lot of the sales come from parents buying their 10 year old kid the game.

What could they add to the game by doing that anyway? More bayo booty?

Last edited:

PKMudkip

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0087-2827-5098
Switch FC
SW-5862-2113-3817
Zero Suit Samus( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

But seriously I don't think the game would have a major following. The reason most people play Smash is because of childhood memories of these characters and games. If it became M it would take all these memories for these people and maybe even change them by making them blood thirsty and violent.

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
A rated M smash game with all that violence and stuff does sound interesting.

NekoTony

Tips are allowed
NNID
Cheesezwheel
3DS FC
5430-1364-8542
Well tbh the M in M-rated stands for mature, will basically mean the game is meant for a mature audience. I'm pretty sure "Mature" 13 year olds will play this game even if it's M-Rated but most likely since Smash Bros is targeted for a young audience and the amount of violence on this game is like as innocent as a baby that the rating wouldn't be consider M-Rated. I don't even know why it's rated for teens (I think it should be rated E for everyone but that's my opinion)....

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Well I mean the most successful games in the west are usually M rated, and most of the playerbase is under the age of 17.

STILL, and M rating would be stupid for Smash, you would have to go out of your way to make it M rated, in ways that would totally **** all over the spirit of the series. I imagine it would just turn most people off lol.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Aside from the fact that Bayo wouldn't be censored, the game as a whole would be far more violent. Every single character would have battle damage (and it would look far less cartoonish than Little Mac's), the KO screams would all sound far more agonizing, the sound effects would probably all be punchier, and the hit sparks would all look far far less cartoonish.
However, to be completely honest, if Smash had all that, I still wouldn't see it getting anything more than a T. Adding unnecessary blood and swearing would just make the game edgier, not more mature.

Top Bottom