• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What if Smash Bros was on PS4, XB1 and PC.....(Also, should they appear on those consoles?)

Should SSB4 be on PS4, XB1, and PC?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo is doomed!...not anytime soon. Honestly, if they start suffering some really huge losses and have that 2075 turn out to be like 2030 or something then that's plenty of time for Nintendo to make a new console (probably 2 console generations later) and learn from their Wii U blunders. Anyway, isn't Smash 4 suppose to be the game to sell Wii U's for Nintendo? Let's see how many Wii U units there are by the end of January. Is it entirely possible that Smash 4 Wii U won't make Nintendo profit? Yes, but this game will certainly halt the losses.

Last edited:

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
**** yeah Smash should be multiplatform. That way I can hope that another platform's online mode would better than what Nintendo typically offers.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Oh yeah, it will never happen because money, but would be a positive for everyone.

What I would like to realistically see is for Microsoft to offer a decent alternative to Smash (that isn't awful like that one game) in order to drum up some competition and maybe cater more to the hardcore crowd pushing Nintendo to work even harder on their iterations of the game.
Sorry to break this to you, but Nintendo caters to the crowd that KNOWS they're hardcore, not the crowd who's constantly shouting how hardcore and mature they are to convince themselves.

TypePositive

Smash Apprentice
S
IIRC the Xbox One is doing really badly in Japan.
The Xbox one is doing badly everywhere. Right now, the wii u is doing better than it, with the ps4 and vita topping that. The 3ds completely murders everything. Seriously, google it and remember that nintendo sells 3ds's. They're fine. Anyway, I bet the reason for the new 3dsit to recoup whatever loss they had. the idea is probably that small boost will do alright for them. Nintendo isn't selling as much as the wii, but the wii was ****ing crazy money. Nintendo is still doing well, just not stupid crazy it prints money well.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
**** yeah Smash should be multiplatform. That way I can hope that another platform's online mode would better than what Nintendo typically offers.
That's terribad justification for Smash going multiplat. Netcode has all sorts of factors that come into play that aren't magically guaranteed by being handled by another company. You have to consider player location, player traffic, your own ping, etc.

Besides, I regularly play Mario Kart 8 online and I only get a dropped game occasionally. The worst thing I could encounter on a daily basis is player positions freezing so the server can resynchronize. Sure, it's caused me final position. But never a race. And if it did, that would have something to do with my connection rather than the server.

As for the topic at hand, I think its been explained to death by other users that bringing Smash multiplat is bad for Nintendo as a business and it wouldn't make sense as an in-company crossover. Sure, I can imagine it waaaay distantly down the line if consoles become obsolete in like a decade or two. 3rd parties would be expanded too (Banjo-Kazooie or Master Chief for XB1, Kratos, Cloud, Rachet & Clank, Sly Cooper, or Jak & Daxter for PS4, TF2 characters, Gordon Freeman, or DotA2 characters on PC over Steam)

What I find disgruntling is how much belief the OP has invested in such a possibility.

Last edited:

TypePositive

Smash Apprentice
After 3 minutes of research, it looks liike microsoft is doing worse off than nintendo. In my opinion, the xbox is supported solely by brogamers. Once cod dies, and it will die eventually if they continue the plan to release one a year, xb is going to take a serious hit. The only thing else they have is halo. There is already a substantially lower demand for the thing. Nintendo will stay around due to them completely dominating the handheld market, Sony will stay in due to doing alright with the ps4 , Microsoft looks to be more likely to abandon the xbox than nintendo completely go out of business.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
As much as I love Nintendo, I would like it very much if they got out the home console business and became a 3rd party.

I vote yes.

Of course, it won't happen any time soon.

It would be neat to see Smash using the raw power and online infrastructure of other consoles. I just don't think the target consumers of Xbox and Nintendo have much overlap; Smash wouldn't sell so well on other consoles.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
That's terribad justification for Smash going multiplat. Netcode has all sorts of factors that come into play that aren't magically guaranteed by being handled by another company. You have to consider player location, player traffic, your own ping, etc.
When did I *ever* speak of magic? I never assumed that problems would go away automatically if online play was handled by another company; on the contrary, I spoke of "hoping" that it would be the case. Moreover, let's consider the following...

Besides, I regularly play Mario Kart 8 online and I only get a dropped game occasionally.
I'm not surprised; Mario Kart is the only Nintendo series with which I've had a good online experience, whereas I can name several games from other companies, running on other platforms, with which I've had good experiences, and that includes fighting games. In my experience, Brawl's online was abysmal by comparison, as was any other Nintendo game's online.

So unless Nintendo decides to improve whatever it is makes most of their games run badly online (netcode or whatnot), Smash for multiplat. Besides, a multiplatform Smash would only mean, from a player's standpoint, more non-Nintendo characters joining the fray. Yay! Now, if some people here have financial interest in Nintendo's success, that's another story... though I suspect most of you guys are just fanboys.

Last edited:

TypePositive

Smash Apprentice
When did I *ever* speak of magic? I never assumed that problems would go away automatically if online play was handled by another company; on the contrary, I spoke of "hoping" that it would be the case. Moreover, let's consider the following...

I'm not surprised; Mario Kart is the only Nintendo series with which I've had a good online experience, whereas I can name several games from other companies, running on other platforms, with which I've had good experiences, and that includes fighting games. In my experience, Brawl's online was abysmal by comparison, as was any other Nintendo game's online.

So unless Nintendo decides to improve whatever it is makes most of their games run badly online (netcode or whatnot), Smash for multiplat. Besides, a multiplatform Smash would only mean, from a player's standpoint, more non-Nintendo characters joining the fray. Yay! Now, if some people here have financial interest in Nintendo's success, that's another story... though I suspect most of you guys are just fanboys.
The online I've experienced for both the wiiu and 3ds has been completely passable. Admittedly, the wii was completely awful in general and the online especially, but it sucked enough for nintendo to realize they needed to fix it. I don;t think that is a valid argument at the moment. Also, yeah smash on multiplat form might mean more non-nintendo characters join the fray, but I wouldn't expect master chief or any violent character ever getting in. It would still hypothetically be a nintendo game and since they are really into cartoon violence now, I don't think they'll change that. More like someone will just make a better smash clone. I mean the sony characters that would be in a smash were already in a **** game that sony might try to resurrect but better and there are not any microsoft characters that would fit into a smash game. Any third party character technically has a chance to show up in smash without smash being on a different system. What people in this thread seem to want is a smash clone with sony or microsoft characters and I'd be for it if psas wasn't totally awful. Let's face it nintendo want let go to one of their best selling licences because there isn't any point to. even if nintendo gets out of home consoles, they will still have the market on the handhelds and just release smash for that. I personally am not much of a nintendo fan, but this generation of consoles is kind of the sunset for the idea as PCs get stronger. If consoles keep trying to compete with something that does what they do better, they will die. Nintendo, even if it was an accident, probably won't die with the wii-u and if they don't they'll have the most experience in seperating console games from PC games.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
The online I've experienced for both the wiiu and 3ds has been completely passable. Admittedly, the wii was completely awful in general and the online especially, but it sucked enough for nintendo to realize they needed to fix it. I don't think that is a valid argument at the moment.[...]
Alright then, maybe I'll give the WiiU a go. I'll need to if I want to play Smash anyway. Granted, I'll probably be buying it conjointly with a bunch of friends, seeing as playing SSB together is pretty much the only reason any of us want the damn thing in the first place.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
It would be neat to see Smash using the raw power and online infrastructure of other consoles. I just don't think the target consumers of Xbox and Nintendo have much overlap; Smash wouldn't sell so well on other consoles.
"Raw power"? Raw Power would be a PC port of the game.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion

Just playing Mario Kart gives you a myopic scope on Nintendo's online experiences. Kid Icarus: Uprising and Animal Crossing: New Leaf run just as smooth as Mario Kart just to name a couple titles. And yeah, Brawl's online didn't help give it much life long term. SSB3DS addresses this problem better, though there's still lag and desynch problems with 4 player FFA for some players.

In short, Nintendo's online is superb. But not flawless. One way or another, it has never failed me in long sessions. Besides, online multiplayer is not the sole draw of Brawl nor SSB4. If Smash were multiplat for that, that would really say something about the overall game design and how Nintendo regards their own online capabilities.

The online I've experienced for both the wiiu and 3ds has been completely passable. Admittedly, the wii was completely awful in general and the online especially, but it sucked enough for nintendo to realize they needed to fix it. I don;t think that is a valid argument at the moment. Also, yeah smash on multiplat form might mean more non-nintendo characters join the fray, but I wouldn't expect master chief or any violent character ever getting in. It would still hypothetically be a nintendo game and since they are really into cartoon violence now, I don't think they'll change that. More like someone will just make a better smash clone. I mean the sony characters that would be in a smash were already in a **** game that sony might try to resurrect but better and there are not any microsoft characters that would fit into a smash game. Any third party character technically has a chance to show up in smash without smash being on a different system. What people in this thread seem to want is a smash clone with sony or microsoft characters and I'd be for it if psas wasn't totally awful. Let's face it nintendo want let go to one of their best selling licences because there isn't any point to. even if nintendo gets out of home consoles, they will still have the market on the handhelds and just release smash for that. I personally am not much of a nintendo fan, but this generation of consoles is kind of the sunset for the idea as PCs get stronger. If consoles keep trying to compete with something that does what they do better, they will die. Nintendo, even if it was an accident, probably won't die with the wii-u and if they don't they'll have the most experience in seperating console games from PC games.

Last edited:

MiserableLie

Smash Rookie
The Nintendo Fanboyism here is really immature. It makes me think some of you aren't actual consumers with jobs and bills.

Yes going multi-platform with Smash would be a huge financial mistake for Nintendo, but it would be better for everyone in gaming. It's the same for say Halo. Halo would be a much better game on PC but it would hurt the sales of the Xbox.
The only downside comes in the form of the profit margin for huge Corporations that honestly do not care about you.

Identifying yourself as a minion for a particular Corporation is hilarious and embarrassing

Nintendo does extremely well by marketing it's consoles and games towards kids and families who are the ones buying the majority of consoles. What this means is that their products are not likely to be of the highest quality for hardcore gamers but rather they're made to reach the largest audience in order make the most money.

Last edited:

WrappedInBlack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PyroJayBlack
3DS FC
1736-3220-0909
It wouldn't make any sense... tho there was a Halo game in dev for the DS and was playable to the public before getting canceled... so maybe on Xbox should the Halo portable be brought to the 3DS...

In all honesty I would like Microsoft to come up with their own Smash-like game so I can play as my avatar... as long as the game isn't the meaning of "hell no" like Playstation Allstars.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622

You obviously haven't played Mario Kart Wii or Super Mario Strikers Charged...and dream on, when people want a company that has provided them with so much happiness over the years to keep their integrity, they're not being fanboys.
Alright then, maybe I'll give the WiiU a go. I'll need to if I want to play Smash anyway. Granted, I'll probably be buying it conjointly with a bunch of friends, seeing as playing SSB together is pretty much the only reason any of us want the damn thing in the first place.
You're doing it wrong, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, Zelda U...
The Nintendo Fanboyism here is really immature. It makes me think some of you aren't actual consumers with jobs and bills.

Yes going multi-platform with Smash would be a huge financial mistake for Nintendo, but it would be better for everyone in gaming. It's the same for say Halo. Halo would be a much better game on PC but it would hurt the sales of the Xbox.
The only downside comes in the form of the profit margin for huge Corporations that honestly do not care about you.

Identifying yourself as a minion for a particular Corporation is hilarious and embarrassing

Nintendo does extremely well by marketing it's consoles and games towards kids and families who are the ones buying the majority of consoles. What this means is that their products are not likely to be of the highest quality for hardcore gamers but rather they're made to reach the largest audience in order make the most money.
Oh Nintendo's products are of the highest quality for hardcore gamers, no, no, not the Mountain Dew-gulping, Doritos-scarfing, easily distracted by blood and grays and browns hardcore gamer, I mean the gamers who love good games.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
It wouldn't make any sense... tho there was a Halo game in dev for the DS and was playable to the public before getting canceled... so maybe on Xbox should the Halo portable be brought to the 3DS...

In all honesty I would like Microsoft to come up with their own Smash-like game so I can play as my avatar... as long as the game isn't the meaning of "hell no" like Playstation Allstars.
That Halo game was a modification of another game, and it was never greenlighted for development. Which tells us Microsoft wouldn't (understandably) allow such a thing. I think the only time they ever let their games on Nintendo systems were the Banjo and other Rare games for GBA/DS. Although now Rare is completely different and they haven't developed for a Nintendo system in a long time. Sooooo...

S

The Xbox one is doing badly everywhere. Right now, the wii u is doing better than it, with the ps4 and vita topping that. The 3ds completely murders everything. Seriously, google it and remember that nintendo sells 3ds's. They're fine. Anyway, I bet the reason for the new 3dsit to recoup whatever loss they had. the idea is probably that small boost will do alright for them. Nintendo isn't selling as much as the wii, but the wii was ****ing crazy money. Nintendo is still doing well, just not stupid crazy it prints money well.
?? Xbox One is outpacing the Wii U in both American and Europe. It's only doing real poorly in Japan, but Xbox systems has always done poorly in Japan (although Xbox One has the worst launch there out of its previous systems). As of now it has already sold about 5 million within its first year so far.

I Just break up mentaly... anywere i go , in any forum ... i just ear those stupid thing against nintendo ... but they praise PS/XBOX and fight each other . I can't take my 3DS because i will be a " Child" because "it's don't had mature game" ... And , see those troll topic , those stupid argument , make me angry ... really , i just can't see the magic of nintendo game in other companies game ... but all mainstream teenager/gamer love them ... Soo i will be glad if i see these topic lock .
Avoid petty console wars. And honestly, Nintendo isn't the only company that gets bashed lol

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
"Super Smash Bros. For Wii U - Only on PlayStation" That'll work. =P

Anyway, in my perfect dream world, Sony and Nintendo team up to do a single console while Microsoft just decides to focus on computers, leaving only one major console in the market. Having to buy multiple machines to play the games you want even though they can all technically handle every exclusive in the others is just silly.

Oh Nintendo's products are of the highest quality for hardcore gamers, no, no, not the Mountain Dew-gulping, Doritos-scarfing, easily distracted by blood and grays and browns hardcore gamer, I mean the gamers who love good games.
You'd think that a gamer would know better than to throw an ignorant gamer stereotype around in a discussion.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace

I'm putting you in the category of people who think Shrek and Goku should be in the game.
What is so wrong with wanting that? Some of you guys really need to lighten up. Sure, it's probably never going to happen, but what's the big deal?

PeterJude

Smash Ace
What is so wrong with wanting that? Some of you guys really need to lighten up. Sure, it's probably never going to happen, but what's the big deal?
Part of the reason that Nintendo are capable of still making good games is because they control the hardware platform and don't need to faff about with porting games, making them compatible, etc. As they are in control of the platform they are also in control of what they can and cannot do with the title, that is in terms of delays, production times and such. There is a huge risk that such a move would lead to a decrease in quality of games, and consider the shower of sewage that the other consoles are serving up, it seems Nintendo are going about it the right way still.

Basically, it would be a move that would cannibalism the companies first party hardware sales, and on sales (selling on other consoles is less valuable per unit than on their own platform), and the added costs and difficulties of producing on more than one console could be potentially devastating.

?? Xbox One is outpacing the Wii U in both American and Europe. It's only doing real poorly in Japan, but Xbox systems has always done poorly in Japan (although Xbox One has the worst launch there out of its previous systems). As of now it has already sold about 5 million within its first year so far.
It's had a spike recently (Destiny, FIFA 15, etc.), but the suggestion has been that the Xbone is doing poorly even against the Wii U. The PS4 has absolutely decimated the Xbone from all the figures I've seen though. The battle for that kind of console is really between those two, and to be honest I would be surprised if third party developers didn't stand making moves to not produce for it soon.

Last edited:

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Part of the reason that Nintendo are capable of still making good games is because they control the hardware platform and don't need to faff about with porting games, making them compatible, etc. As they are in control of the platform they are also in control of what they can and cannot do with the title, that is in terms of delays, production times and such. There is a huge risk that such a move would lead to a decrease in quality of games, and consider the shower of sewage that the other consoles are serving up, it seems Nintendo are going about it the right way still.

Basically, it would be a move that would cannibalism the companies first party hardware sales, and on sales (selling on other consoles is less valuable per unit than on their own platform), and the added costs and difficulties of producing on more than one console could be potentially devastating.

It's had a spike recently (Destiny, FIFA 15, etc.), but the suggestion has been that the Xbone is doing poorly even against the Wii U. The PS4 has absolutely decimated the Xbone from all the figures I've seen though. The battle for that kind of console is really between those two, and to be honest I would be surprised if third party developers didn't stand making moves to not produce for it soon.
Um... I wasn't talking about hardware quality or anything. I was asking what's wrong with wanting to see Goku and Shrek crossover with Nintendo franchises. :p

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Um... I wasn't talking about hardware quality or anything. I was asking what's wrong with wanting to see Goku and Shrek crossover with Nintendo franchises. :p
Ah... Licencing them would likely be needlessly expensive for characters hugely out of context. Snake is about as third party as we're likely to get, and he was specifically asked to be added from what I heard, and hence Nintendo likely didn't have such licencing issues.

...anyhow, for Shrek, can't you just have green Charizard...

...poor Ridley...

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Teams in that game had tons of depth. You could also play against ps3 players on the vita.
My sides...

Seriously though, Brawl, whilst not the competitive scenes cup of tea, for the vast vast majority of players it was an extremely good game, and a well loved one.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Obviously you are ignorant to the subject. The level system had more depth than anything in brawl.
I'm sure you did enjoy it, and you can personally think it's better than Brawl all you like, but ultimately it was, and still is consider a weak, mediocre fighting game (not really that bad), whilst Brawl was the best received and best selling version of the hugely successful Smash Bros series. By any measure, but your own feelings, Brawl was the better game.

wingo

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure you did enjoy it, and you can personally think it's better than Brawl all you like, but ultimately it was, and still is consider a weak, mediocre fighting game (not really that bad), whilst Brawl was the best received and best selling version of the hugely successful Smash Bros series. By any measure, but your own feelings, Brawl was the better game.
Brawl was way better, im just pointing out its lack of tech.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Just playing Mario Kart gives you a myopic scope on Nintendo's online experiences. [...]
True, but I don't know why you quoted me before saying this... I said Mario Kart was the only *good* experience I've had playing Nintendo game. I never said that it was the only one.

You obviously haven't played Mario Kart Wii or Super Mario Strikers Charged
I have. MK's online was miles better than SMSC's.

...and dream on, when people want a company that has provided them with so much happiness over the years to keep their integrity, they're not being fanboys.
1) I am not dreaming; I am merely stating preferences. I know that what I want will not become reality any time soon, if ever. Moreover, I don't care all that much.
2) "Happiness", "integrity"... sounds like a Nintendo fan to me. It's alright if these are the first words out of your keyboard when you try to justify why SSB should not be multiplatform. However, these are not tangible reasons for your preferences. I was merely pointing this out when I called people here "fanboys".

You're doing it wrong, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, Zelda U...
As surprising as it may seems, none of these games interest me. Granted, I may have played too many games...It is a rare game nowadays which can pique my interest enough for me to buy it, let alone buy a console for it when most of my games are on PC anyway.

Whatever.

MiserableLie

Smash Rookie
This is dumb.
Have you ever played anything not Nintendo?

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
No. No. No. No. No.

[rant]
First off, Sony will back out of the console race before Nintendo. Microsoft will back out of the console race before Nintendo. Wow, the Wii U isn't selling and people think that is going to bankrupt Nintendo and that they are going to stop making home consoles. Not realizing Nintendo was literally printing money when they sold the Wii and the 3DS.

I mean, seriously, they could fail in home console sales in the next generation and still be in a good position. Pokemon's multy media gross income is ABSURD! They have enough money to fly HUNDREDS of combatants to a GLOBAL tournament and provide SCHOLARSHIPS to the top 3 in three divisions.

I can't tell the future but so long as Pokemon sells like crack I don't see Nintendo biting a loss so horrific that they back out the home console race. People will buy a Wii U because they know the franchise games they want can only be bought for the Wii U. And if not that, the Nintendo 3DS.

I seriously don't understand what makes people think Nintendo would ever go 3rd party when they have so many cash cows AND they had ONE bad start in this gen's console race. In all honesty I play my Wii U more than my PS4 and my XB1 combined.
[/rant]

No, I would never want the Super Smash Brothers franchise to "die" so if by some unforeseen tragedy that Nintendo suffered a lost so horrific that they had to go 3rd party than I maybe cool with Smash being on the PC. But that is it. It's bad enough stupid little morons completely ignore what the core of Smash is and make outlandish character request like Goku. What would be worse is if Jak and Daxter or Ico was in Smash because the game is on a Play Station or Master Chief or Marcus Fenix was in because it was on a Xbox. I may seriously boycott it at that point.

What history does Ratchet and Clank have with Nintendo? What legacy of Nintendo consoles does a series like Gears of War even have? At least Sonic has a history with Nintendo, with a long standing rivalry and more recently as partners having multiple great games on multiple Nintendo consoles. At least Mega Man was on the NES and DS and Game Boy.

Super Smash Brothers games should never be on any other consoles not officially licensed by Nintendo and if they where on anything but a PC I would be done with the series.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
This is dumb.
Have you ever played anything not Nintendo?
Plenty, Ratchet & Clank, The Last Of Us, God Of War, Sonic Unleashed HD, Sonic Generations,
Jak & Daxter, Spyro, Crash...but I still know none of those can't stand up to Nintendo games. And if I'm playing Nintendo games, I want them on a Nintendo console!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom