• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What if Nintendo and Sony stayed together?

DreamyMystX64

Smash Cadet
Premium
I don't know if this is the right place to discuss about this in, well whatever.

Yeah, I know the gaming industry would have been a whole lot more different if Nintendo and Sony stayed together (when there was going to be a "Nintendo PlayStation").

Here's my takes and timeline for this, and ideas that could work for the consoles (I didn't end up doing handhelds). It may sound hard to understand and I never bothered to put much effort details into it, though what would be your ideas if this partnership actually worked?

CONSOLE TIMELINE:

3RD GEN:
Famicom (1983)
4TH GEN: Super Famicom (1990)
5TH GEN: Ultra Famicom (1995)
6TH GEN: Hyper Famicom (2000)
7TH GEN: AIR Famicom (2006)
8TH GEN: Switch (2013)
9TH GEN: Switch Pro (2020)

IDEAS:

- Famicom branding lasts longer, Wii branding wouldn't exist, and Switch branding launches earlier

- All Famicom hardware use disc based media (in case of Famicom, uses floppy discs like Famicom Disc System, while Super Famicom up to AIR Famicom use CDs), Switch and Switch Pro use cartridges

- Most PlayStation exclusives (such as Crash Bandicoot, Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, etc.) become Nintendo exclusives

- Each hardware at least will have a boot up screen

- Starting with Super Famicom, backwards compatibility begins existing (with Famicom), then with Ultra Famicom to Super Famicom and Famicom (for floppy discs), then with Hyper Famicom to previous two Famicoms and so-on... This wouldn't apply to the Switch eras as Virtual Console eventually exists starting with the Hyper Famicom

- Starting with Ultra Famicom (which is what N64 became in this timeline), home menus and Miis begin existing

- Starting with Hyper Famicom (which is what GameCube became in this timeline), DVD compatibility and online gaming function

- Starting with AIR Famicom (which is what Wii became in this timeline), you will now be able to view photos, tell forecast, check news, order food (would work like GrubHub or DoorDash for example), browse web, and stream medias (like on Netflix for example)

Top Bottom