• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What if Melee had DLC?

LagIsOP

Smash Rookie
NNID
S1ckMa5ter
What if Melee had the same new content treatment that Sm4sh had for the past year?
Of course Melee had no internet compatibility but it is still interesting to talk about.

What new fighters would we see? What stages? Different modes?

It would be interesting to know what you guys (and gals) think could've happened!

ᴠanilla

Smash Rookie
If Melee had DLC I can only imagine characters being added that almost made it in (Wario, Dedede, Mach Rider, etc.) or maybe promotional characters from games of the time.

I'm not sure if they would have done like Smash 4 and added stages/trophies/music.

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
If Melee had DLC I can only imagine characters being added that almost made it in (Wario, Dedede, Mach Rider, etc.) or maybe promotional characters from games of the time.

I'm not sure if they would have done like Smash 4 and added stages/trophies/music.
Yeah... interestingly, however, I don't think Mach Rider would have, because ICs were in already, do you agree?

necroTaxonomist

Smash Apprentice
I guess new characters are cool but I don't like the idea of having to pay money on a regular basis just to stay current with the metagame, so I'm sort of against DLC in general.

But that's just me.

ᴠanilla

Smash Rookie
Yeah... interestingly, however, I don't think Mach Rider would have, because ICs were in already, do you agree?
I'm not sure, but Mach Rider's trophy was pretty detailed (close in design to a completed fighter's model) and he had a theme on one of the stages. I've always just thought that he had a chance because of that but I have no clue how he would actually work as a character if he was on the bike.

Sudoi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blargbla
I'm not sure, but Mach Rider's trophy was pretty detailed (close in design to a completed fighter's model) and he had a theme on one of the stages. I've always just thought that he had a chance because of that but I have no clue how he would actually work as a character if he was on the bike.
Sakurai was going to include Excitebike instead of ICs, but he didn't because he couldn't figure out how to make them jump reasonably. Probably the same reason with Mach Rider. /:

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
Wario, Dedede, Wolf, Banjo-Kazooie, Diddy Kong, Sonic. Sakurai wanted all these characters in Melee at some point, which is why they were in Brawl. (excluding BK who he wanted in 64 but lost the rights to in the early 2000s--Its safe to say that if Nintendo owned the BK IP, they'd be in Smash)

AirFair

Marth tho
had melee had DLC way back when, we would probably have been able to get some of the characters that ended up in Brawl.

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
Yes, but I'm pretty sure it was going to be one or the other.

LagIsOP

Smash Rookie
NNID
S1ckMa5ter
I guess new characters are cool but I don't like the idea of having to pay money on a regular basis just to stay current with the metagame, so I'm sort of against DLC in general.

But that's just me.
Interesting point! I've haven't really seen anybody else with an opinion like this. I like the different viewpoints!

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I don't think SDI is as powerful in Sm4sh, right?
Yeah I don't think so but I'm still under the assumption that her KO combos are exaggerated and people just prefer to whine instead of work. One of the reasons I am glad (at least retrospectively) that Melee was released before the age of DLC

ZipZopZoop

Smash Rookie
No thanks. Paying more money for small additions to a game I already payed for doesn't appeal to me. Also this means Nintendo probably would have patched melee to remove most tech and nobody would be playing it in 2016.

LagIsOP

Smash Rookie
NNID
S1ckMa5ter
Hey everyone. I made a youtube video describing this whole topic. I hope you guys enjoy it!

VoidedSmash

Smash Rookie
How would you even institute DLC for the GC? The memory cards were small as hell, it could only handle one disc at a time, and its network functionality was next to nill except for a few games (Mario Kart, Mario Kart: Kirby Edition, and others). Unless they added some form of storage it'd be impossible.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
How would you even institute DLC for the GC? The memory cards were small as hell, it could only handle one disc at a time, and its network functionality was next to nill except for a few games (Mario Kart, Mario Kart: Kirby Edition, and others). Unless they added some form of storage it'd be impossible.
hy·po·thet·i·cal
/ˌhīpəˈTHedək(ə)l/

adjective
  1. of, based on, or serving as a hypothesis.
    "that option is merely hypothetical at this juncture"

noun
  1. a hypothetical proposition or statement.
    "Finn talked in hypotheticals, tossing what-if scenarios to Rosen"

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I don't think SDI is as powerful in Sm4sh, right?
Yeah, Smash 4's DI is convoluted and much weaker than previous games. If you use Survival DI like you would in Melee, you actually die sooner than if you used no DI.

Also, the GameCube (and every other console that generation) did have online capabilities but only a few games used it.

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Smash 4's DI is convoluted and much weaker than previous games. If you use Survival DI like you would in Melee, you actually die sooner than if you used no DI.

Also, the GameCube (and every other console that generation) did have online capabilities but only a few games used it.
I'm pretty sure Smash 4 has what they call a combination of DI and "Vectoring", and when doing survival DI on a hit sedning you of the top, you DI normally, but for one off the sides you need to DI left or right. It's really weird and I can only imagine it messing people up when they switch between the games.

Gin Tonic

Smash Rookie

But that's just me.
Exactly, I already disliked the DLC characters in Sm4sh though not as much as the DLC stages since you are not forced to play the DLC characters but to practice on one of the legal DLC-stages you either need to do that with another player who has those stages or simply buy them yourself which in my opinion is just dumb.

Melee doesn't need DLC characters/stages imo, the only things Melee needs are official online support and buffs to lower tiered characters which (knowing Nintendo) unfortunately will never happen.

Last edited:

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
smash 4 has too many characters to begin with. The only thing I'd really want for melee DLC would be some new stages or some new skins for characters; pretty much what we have available in 20xx. The fact that pokemon stadium is still legal in the year 2016, to me, is a real testament to just how narrow stage options are for competitive play.

All I would want is one or two of the hacked stages in 20xx for competitive melee. I wouldn't really even care which one, but no, the melee community is too stubborn to embrace changes that would legitimately improve competitive play.

Gin Tonic

Smash Rookie
It's not the Melee community. New stages or modifications to existing stages for less RNG gameplay (like Stadium not transforming, Whispy Woods not blowing wind and Shy Guys not appearing on Yoshi's) already exist in SD Remix. The problem with mods however is that there's always the threat of Nintendo taking these down if they become too big, Nintendo doesn't really seem to appreciate community modifications of their games (see PM). SD Remix is an underground thing with really interesting changes that could potentially complement the metagame without destroying its foundation but it can only stay underground because of said reasons.
The only possible solution I can see for this is Nintendo actually approaching the competitive Melee scene like Valve does with CS:GO or DotA 2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom