• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What if... chain grabs existed in Smash 4?

Chain Grabs in Smash 4?

• Total voters

Travitoninja99

Smash Cadet
NNID
ΩZero
Switch FC
SW-7339-8935-1294
What would it be like if every character could be able to use chain grabs?

Which characters would benefit the most? Who would become top tier characters just from this? How crazy would the metagame be if it were implemented? Would you guys be excited or disappointed?

I posted a poll for y'all to give your opeeenions! We've seen that people like That Smash 4 Modder be able to mod the game, so what would it be like if implemented? Could we see another Tournament worthy Smash 4 hack project like Project M come around with mechanics like that? Personally, I think it would be a very interesting twist on the metagame

Halcy0n

Smash Cadet
Thing is the knockback on most throws are to high to be used as chaingrabs.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Thing is the knockback on most throws are to high to be used as chaingrabs.
Unless your name is Robin or Greninja.

Down throw-down throw-down throw-down throw-down throw, repeat ad nauseam.

Chain grabs were terrible in Melee, and were even worse in Brawl—Aside from Snake and Falco, where Snake's was read based, and Falco's only lasted 'til 40%, so it wasn't that bad. But otherwise, DDD was completely toxic with his chaingrab to instantaneous death, and Ice Climbers didn't allow the opponent to play. Just like Bayonetta.

Overall, I'm glad we're past that nonsense.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Hey trash can!!! How are you? Good? Me too! Hey, do you by any chance like the game Super Smash Bros?

Joking of course, it isn't bad enough to make me throw the game away, but it would probably be my least favorite thing about it.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
Robin, Greninja, and maybe Sonic would love it. Everyone else, though? "What are you doing in the new Smash? Get outta here! ... GET OUTTA HERE!"

Jamble

Smash Apprentice
That was a completely not-fun part of the game, I really don't miss that, or a lot of Melee shenanigans for that matter.

Travitoninja99

Smash Cadet
NNID
ΩZero
Switch FC
SW-7339-8935-1294
Robin, Greninja, and maybe Sonic would love it. Everyone else, though? "What are you doing in the new Smash? Get outta here! ... GET OUTTA HERE!"
First off, love the reference

It's nice to hear the input! I never played competitive melee, so I have no first hand experience, but it always looked cool to watch people do them in high level matches. If it existed, do you guys think it would pose as a legit competitive challenge, or would it completely ruin the metagame to the point where things would be broken and terrible?

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Melee chain-grabs were bad but Brawl chain-grabs are the ones that were just plain suffering. The Ice Climbers pretty much ruined the game with one chain-grab. Entire characters were carried by their chain-grabs in some instances (like Dedede) and others were just painfully over-centralized around them. In my opinion, chain-grabs and Meta Knight were the things that ruined Brawl competitively.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Chain grabs would heavily break a game that tried to be more balanced. For an example, if chain grabs existed, Rosalina could perform multiple u-throws on Bowser while he's at low damage.

Last edited:

zzmorg82

Smash Apprentice
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch FC
2476 2506 3411
Being spoiled by Brawl Falco, I would love his Down Throw chain grab to be in the game.

TheAfrokid

Smash Rookie
Buster shulk could forward throw for 15% each probably around 3 times which could get you around 43% off of one grab. and on fastfallers and heavies he could chain multiple up throws together. Lets just say shulk would be moving up in the world.

Justinian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GenoAzelf
Roy may move up on the tier list since his dthrow would become a chain throw that could lead to other followups off forward throw or itself once the opponent is out of CG % range.

Also, fastfallers and heavyweights in general would be nerfed by this change, as they would be the most affected by chaingrabs. For example, one of Fox's major flaws in Brawl was that he got CG'd to high percents by a lot of the cast, and in this game, he, Falco, Falcon, Roy, Dedede, etc. would have a bad time.

Of course, the impact would be significantly less if the one-second regrab rule was simply removed vs changing the mechanics of certain throws such that each character has at least one CG. In the second case, that would probably lead to straight-up boring, degenerative gameplay.

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman

Really though, chain grabs are one of the things that made competitive Brawl a joke to some people. It would be sad if the same mistake were made in Smash 4.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Want Smash 4 to have:
?

Chaingrabs can burn in hell.

Last edited:

LightningHelix

Smash Cadet
From a competitive standpoint, brawl was a horrible game, hence why it is practically dead in obscurity.

Chain grabs stop people from interacting and playing the game, so Forget that nonsense.

Travitoninja99

Smash Cadet
NNID
ΩZero
Switch FC
SW-7339-8935-1294
Of course, the impact would be significantly less if the one-second regrab rule was simply removed vs changing the mechanics of certain throws such that each character has at least one CG. In the second case, that would probably lead to straight-up boring, degenerative gameplay.
This is primarily of what I was thinking of; rather than changing the moves themselves, it would be interesting to see how certain characters would benefit from having the regrab rule removed. With this, I don't think it could ever be too crazy and ridiculous like Brawl DeDeDe and Ice Climbers (vomit vomit vomit). It's merely a curiosity I have. With people having success modding the game, it's only a matter of time before we'll be able to all play hacked versions, just as we can with Project M. Smash 4 is great the way it is, they have done a fairly good job at balancing s̶a̶n̶s̶ ̶B̶a̶y̶o̶n̶e̶t̶t̶a. It's interesting to imaging what competitive Smash 4 would be like with different mechanics, the one on my mind being able to regrab. It would be really awesome to see someone that mods like That Smash 4 Modder (or anyone for that matter) be able to do this to see the consequences of it. Appreciate all your input guys!

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
This is primarily of what I was thinking of; rather than changing the moves themselves, it would be interesting to see how certain characters would benefit from having the regrab rule removed. With this, I don't think it could ever be too crazy and ridiculous like Brawl DeDeDe and Ice Climbers (vomit vomit vomit). It's merely a curiosity I have. With people having success modding the game, it's only a matter of time before we'll be able to all play hacked versions, just as we can with Project M. Smash 4 is great the way it is, they have done a fairly good job at balancing s̶a̶n̶s̶ ̶B̶a̶y̶o̶n̶e̶t̶t̶a. It's interesting to imaging what competitive Smash 4 would be like with different mechanics, the one on my mind being able to regrab. It would be really awesome to see someone that mods like That Smash 4 Modder (or anyone for that matter) be able to do this to see the consequences of it. Appreciate all your input guys!
I'm actually strongly against replacing Smash 4 with a modded version with different mechanics. The game is already great competitively the way it is and will have a long and healthy lifetime. Let's not ruin Smash 4 the way we ruined Brawl with Project M.

LightningHelix

Smash Cadet
I'm actually strongly against replacing Smash 4 with a modded version with different mechanics. The game is already great competitively the way it is and will have a long and healthy lifetime. Let's not ruin Smash 4 the way we ruined Brawl with Project M.
To be fair Project M didn't ruin Brawl. Brawl managed to that on its own. I personally like Project M.

Mods will always be a fun alternative niche, but the maistay will always be the original game.

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
Hell no. In Melee some characters are unviable mostly because of that. In Brawl it was ten time worse I don't wanna even think about it.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
>Rosalina and Ness with Chaingrabs
image.jpeg

Chaingrabs were the reason I HATED competitive Brawl. **** that.

Smash 4 saved us from that nightmare

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Hopefully. However, Project M stole the thunder from Brawl and that isn't right (no matter how bad Brawl was competitively).
Brawl didn't have thunder to be stolen. It was already a dying game until mods made it more playable.
Unless there's a capable team of people who can actually produce a well made mod and a desire to replace the vanilla game, then smash 4 isn't gonna be thrown aside.

Travitoninja99

Smash Cadet
NNID
ΩZero
Switch FC
SW-7339-8935-1294
Brawl didn't have thunder to be stolen. It was already a dying game until mods made it more playable.
Unless there's a capable team of people who can actually produce a well made mod and a desire to replace the vanilla game, then smash 4 isn't gonna be thrown aside.
I agree, Brawl was a trainwreck competitively, and Project M posed as a new opportunity, both for fun and competitively, in the Smash community. No mod could ever ruin the original game unless it was doomed from the beginning. Even with Smash 4 mods, the OG Smash 4 is quite fantastic, and I really don't see it dying anytime soon.

Eugene Wang

Smash Apprentice
I like the idea of regrabs, but making a grab something that can be followed up on but not something that leads to an infinite is hard. Hence the broad solution that is temporary grab immunity.

My idea would be to make it so that teching takes up double duty as an anti-grab. This makes it so that every throw can be forced by the victim into a tech chase, which most people would agree is far more interesting to watch.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
New Smash 4 Metagame: Down throw to down throw to down throw to down throw to down throw. Or if you're Rosalina: Up throw to up throw to up throw to up throw to up throw to up throw.

We've seen enough of that **** in the past two games. It was removed for a reason. As for a Smash 4 mod? No thank you. The game is great as is, not to mention balanced. A more casual mod like Brawl- would be really fun with the larger roster and whatnot, but if we're talking something like Pretend Melee, nah.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
I'd be ok with simply removing the 1 second rule, if grabs always air released and never ground released. It'd still be overall detrimental to the game, but I'd be alright with it.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
On one hand, chain grand are dumb.

On the other, chain grabs have the potential to be expressive (9B).

I rather not have them. They harm more than help,But, I would like it if the raccoon tail from the special brawl settings was on every character. More options and freedom and stuff.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Because getting caught in an inescapable chain grab was so much fun, right?

I'm glad they are gone.

:231:

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
What would it be like if every character could be able to use chain grabs?

Which characters would benefit the most? Who would become top tier characters just from this? How crazy would the metagame be if it were implemented? Would you guys be excited or disappointed?

I posted a poll for y'all to give your opeeenions! We've seen that people like That Smash 4 Modder be able to mod the game, so what would it be like if implemented? Could we see another Tournament worthy Smash 4 hack project like Project M come around with mechanics like that? Personally, I think it would be a very interesting twist on the metagame
Strange question.

What are chain grabs?

Travitoninja99

Smash Cadet
NNID
ΩZero
Switch FC
SW-7339-8935-1294
Strange question.

What are chain grabs?
It's the ability to regrab your opponent with no wait time. The way it is in Smash 4 is that you must wait 1 second after you throw them in order to grab them again. However, in melee and brawl you could regrab them basically immediately after you throw them. A lot of times this results in multiple grabs, hence the term chain grab

D

Deleted member

I would quit playing Smash 4 if there were chain grabs.

As a competitive game, I agree that Brawl was a joke and chain grabs were a reason why. They added more imbalance to a game with already horrible balance. As a Luigi main, I suffered among the likes of King Dedede and Ice Climbers because he had no way to escape them.

Not being able to play for a while is fun, right?

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
The game would honestly be the same as Brawl except with a bigger cast of characters. I'm glad we've had patches to help tweak the balance of the game so it's more enjoyable for everyone. Seeing the same characters over and over in competitive play gets extremely boring and stale quick.

Kirito_SAO

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2208-5760-5811
:4feroy:Kinda has one. In some characters you d-throw + jab or nair where they air dodge. It doesn't work on everyone but it does work

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
Chain grabs are probably one of the worse things you could do to ruin this game, it just means free damage with little effort or skill needed. If you want to add something similar I would rather add something like the infinite Peach used to have, at least it's hard to land a perform.

Top Bottom