• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What I like and don’t like about Brawl

Blaze the cat

Smash Apprentice
I was going to reply to SamuraiPanda’s “Official Complaint Thread,” but since I’m actually planning on buying the game, I thought I’d also weigh in on what I do like about Brawl and what ultimately led to my decision to preorder it. Since I haven’t played Brawl, I can’t weigh in on certain aspects of the game such as gameplay mechanics, but I will address issues I know about, such as the character roster.

First, here is what I do not like:

The lack of new female characters. Sure, there aren’t many truly “famous” heroines in Nintendo history, but the fact that there are no true new character additions (Zero Suit Samus does not count) is disappointing. In my opinion, Krystal would have been the best choice for a host of reasons that have been discussed many times before. It’s unbelievable that this unique character didn’t even get Assist Trophy status—while a character like “Drill Dozer” did.

The lack of new third-party characters. When you hear “third party” and “Nintendo,” what’s the first thing that comes to mind? Mega Man, of course. If we had a list of legendary Nintendo characters, Mega Man would rank somewhere below Mario and above Kirby, in my opinion. I could understand if a deal with Capcom couldn’t be worked out, but the fact that Mega Man creator Keiji Inafune wasn’t even asked about adding Mega Man to the Brawl roster just makes no sense. The Castlevania series is also a very important component of Nintendo history, so a character like Simon Belmont would have been a very welcome addition to the character roster.

The lack of alternate costumes. The relatively sparse character roster could easily be fixed by including additional costumes. I would gladly sacrifice some games modes, trophies, or whatnot to include new costumes.

Too many clone-ish characters. When my brother would come to visit me and play Smash Bros. Melee, he would ask why it was necessary to include both Link and Young Link in the same game. I explained that it was the result of rushed development, and it seemed unlikely that the developers would repeat the mistake of including two versions of the same character in one game. Welcome Toon Link. I know the clonishness isn’t as bad this time around, but I would have much preferred a more diverse cast of characters in the game roster representing more series.

Now, on to what I do like about Brawl:

Sonic. Enough said.

Stage Builder. I’ve heard there are some issues with this mode, but the fact that this mode exists at all is great.

Online play. This is the main reason I decided to buy this game rather than rent it. My friends aren’t big video game players, so it’s going to be very satisfying to be able to play against real people online, even though the most of the new characters don’t interest me much.

Loads of music. This is going to give the game a lot of replay value. I can’t wait to unlock certain tracks, such as the SNES Star Fox Corneria theme and Dedede’s main theme.

Well, there’s my two cents. Flame me if you like—I’m used to it by now—but I had to get that out of my system.

Blaze the cat

Smash Apprentice
Misogyny confirmed for Japan.
LOL. Yeah, it's like, "We don't have new female characters for you, but now you can see Samus' and Sheik's ****!"

the first thing you think is Sonic...then mega man IN GENERAL. STARFORCE!
Since I've been playing Nintendo games for a long time, I tend to think of Sonic as more of Nintendo's rival than a third party character. Regardless, it's great to have him in the game.

Top Bottom