• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Happens if You Lose a Money Match But do Not Pay?

Tails_Glados_Puff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Console ban tho
I have no intention of doing such thing, and will pay if i lose a money match. However, in the end, no one can really make you pay. It's not as if you sign a contract or anything. It's simply a verbal agreement. If one refuses to pay, you can't call the police or anything. Even if there were witnesses i'm sure. Would you be shunned by the community? Would you not be allowed to participate in tournaments? What really happens? How do we enforce the idea of a money match?

Astraea31

Smash Apprentice
Obviously nobody can force you to pay, but it's still immoral. Why would you ask for the money match in the first place if you had no intention to pay? So you could take his money if you would have won? If somebody ever did that to me at a tourney, I'd probably be salty about it.

Thor

Smash Champion
It's an honor thing.

Also it's likely no one will ever MM you again if they know you.

Plus I'm pretty sure MMs for any amount of money worth not paying to some shameless person are collected by a 3rd party prior to the MM occurring and then all the money is given to the winner (in Tian vs Tafokints, you see the announcers at the start counting the money of each of the players and having it with them while the MM occurs).

MUNK

Smash Rookie
I'd be salty for sure. Just make sure they can pay.

WHA?

Smash Ace
I would put you on blast. Immediately after you refused to pay I would stand up and loudly state what has happened. I would make sure everyone you meet knows the fact of what you did. If the tourney had stream, I would tell all the viewers.

Yes even for a dollar.

MUNK

Smash Rookie
Yeah paying up beforehand is a great way to prevent something like this.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
i always put my money on the table. if my opponent doesn't, i ask them to do so. simple as that.

but to be honest, it's unlikely to happen. people don't want to be branded as a fraud. if something like this happened to me, i'd actually take it as an even greater victory that i could make someone that upset. the ultimate victory. it's not worth giving a **** about if it's chump change like a 5 or 10 usd money match. who cares.

Last edited:

BluntedMask

Smash Apprentice
Make sure its the right person before money matching. Had a 100$ mm against Eli (Yea probably a bit large but whatever) at Apex.

To make the story short I played against Strong Bad who was telling me he was Eli. I lost and handed the money to Strong Bad.

The grime is real in this one.

MUNK

Smash Rookie
That's scummy, if you don't want to lose the money just ask for a friendly because you're broke. Or just ask to match $1.

Kitsune91

Lone Smasher
3DS FC
4270-1611-3292
If I won the money match and they didn't pay I would be disappointed and most likely would not want to play them again unless it was in the tournament/pools. Then I'd beat em down there..

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
I would put you on blast. Immediately after you refused to pay I would stand up and loudly state what has happened. I would make sure everyone you meet knows the fact of what you did. If the tourney had stream, I would tell all the viewers.

Yes even for a dollar.
that sounds more silly, at that point you already have their dignity

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
"Mmmmm that's good OJ."

But seriously at worst I would yell at him/her. Though I would be sure to warn other players about them.

SAUS

Smash Ace
Call them out and make sure people know. It's not just so that other people don't get scammed, it's to shame them. If it was for a lot of money, I would definitely have 3rd-party stuff happening so that no funny business occurs.

Tails_Glados_Puff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Console ban tho
If you do put the money somewhere, cant they just take it once they lose quickly? Or if they know they're gonna lose anyways take it before the match ends and forfeit?

Thor

Smash Champion
If they're that desperate, they shouldn't MM in the first place. And a forfeit is a loss, which means the money should be yours.

Most people don't try to cheat - if you get beat, you get beat - sort of a reciprocity thing (I'd hate for them to do that, so I'll accept it with whatever dignity I have left after getting beat).

Also, this is why so many MMs are for small amounts - the incentive to cheat on the agreement is significantly reduced, and for many it's more about getting to play someone they feel is good/getting better - I know one person around here who routinely MMs people far better than him, but he does first-to-10 $1 or $5 MMs that can be spread out if they only have time for a match or two (they each keep a running total) - he figures he'll lose [tries to win], but they still play him seriously for the dollar, and he knows he gets better from playing under some form of pressure, and it helps reduce the sandbagging of his opponents that might occur in friendlies.

Tails_Glados_Puff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Console ban tho
Make sure its the right person before money matching. Had a 100$ mm against Eli (Yea probably a bit large but whatever) at Apex.

To make the story short I played against Strong Bad who was telling me he was Eli. I lost and handed the money to Strong Bad.

The grime is real in this one.
I showed SB a screenshot of this post. He said he will neither deny or accept the claims you made.
http://puu.sh/8wP4p

Bones0

Smash Legend
I showed SB a screenshot of this post. He said he will neither deny or accept the claims you made.
http://puu.sh/8wP4p
WOW. If I were TO, he'd be banned from any of my events for pulling a stunt like that. The fact that Apex was months ago doesn't even matter. You should demand your money back and publicly shame him if he refuses. Strong Bad actually has "status" in the Smash community, so you'll probably get your money back real quick.

Tails_Glados_Puff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Console ban tho
If there is video evidence of this occurring then yes, but if not there's no way to prove. For all we know, BluntedMask could be lying. I would do the same however.

Tails_Glados_Puff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Console ban tho
If you say "neither confirm nor deny", it's pretty obvious you are guilty and being a smartass about it.
That is true but we can't prosecute with no evidence. And anyways, he could simply not remember it. Don't take me the wrong way, i still think he's guilty of it. But not completely sure.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I just think it's unfair based on he said- she said.
So either it actually happened, or BluntedMask made up an elaborate MM story and when confronted, Strong Bad acknowledged said scam without denying that he did indeed rip someone off. I'd also like to think if Strong Bad was somehow joking and denies it later that BluntedMask wouldn't go ahead and let someone get banned from tournaments over a random internet joke. We can also ask Eli if he had planned a MM with BluntedMask and find out what he was told.

Tails_Glados_Puff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Console ban tho
So either it actually happened, or BluntedMask made up an elaborate MM story and when confronted, Strong Bad acknowledged said scam without denying that he did indeed rip someone off. I'd also like to think if Strong Bad was somehow joking and denies it later that BluntedMask wouldn't go ahead and let someone get banned from tournaments over a random internet joke. We can also ask Eli if he had planned a MM with BluntedMask and find out what he was told.
But there is no evidence. Nuff said.

Tails_Glados_Puff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Console ban tho
Eye witness accounts are evidence.
If SB was really confronted with this he would deny it of course. I know SB in terms of online and he always jokes around. If something like this got around he would undoubtedly deny it. So if you have one witness, who was the "victim" and then you have the so called "perpetrator" clashing on what happened, it does not hold up at all. Unless there was a third party.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Alright, so here's the story, for those interested:
Eli made a trash talk/MM thread for APEX in like November or December. He had accumulated over $200 in money matches with various people and was very excited (he's a very competitive fellow, as am I). One brave soul challenged Eli to a $100 MM, his name is Mask. This got really hyped up in the thread and between the people in our friend circle (Me + Free Saltines crew mostly).
Me and a few other people were drinking that night (this was after day 2 of APEX IIRC so PM was completely done, we were just partying and having a good time). Zhime mentioned to me that he found Mask, the guy who had challenged Eli to a $100 MM, in the free play room. Eli had already gone to sleep at this point (it was mad late). One of my other friends (I will keep him anonymous since it's not relevant to the story) suggested that it would be extremely funny if I impersonated Eli for the MM. We joked around a bit and I considered the fact that it would be highly unlikely we would find Mask again day 3 (especially since Eli and most of his crew were headed home on day 3), and since no other DK could pass for being Eli, I decided to do it. I walked up to Mask, introduced myself as Eli, mentioned the MM, etc. etc. and we ended up playing it. I 3-0'd him, but his Zard impressed me nonetheless, which isn't easy to do because I play Metroid's Zard more often than most of the community.

That's the story. Mask, if you feel like you were cheated or something and want a refund I can probably manage that. Just shoot me a PM with your PayPal. But if I had lost, I definitely would have given you $100 and not johned out saying I wasn't Eli. I had the money on me just in case. Even if it was under false pretenses, we played a legitimate $100 Money Match, and you got to play me with $100 on the line. I will say that there's no chance Eli would have lost either (the set count was 3-0, after all). I gave $50 of it to Eli, though, so at this juncture I can only refund my half reasonably. If Eli won't refund his half then I guess I'll try to cover that as well, I don't want any bad blood between us dude.

Tagging @ BluntedMask BluntedMask

Last edited:

Tails_Glados_Puff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Console ban tho
Jeezes i didn't mean for this to be all about SB and stuff. I just wanted to tell Bluntedmask the truth. Let's try and keep this off the topic of SB drama.

BluntedMask

Smash Apprentice
Alright, so here's the story, for those interested:
Eli made a trash talk/MM thread for APEX in like November or December. He had accumulated over $200 in money matches with various people and was very excited (he's a very competitive fellow, as am I). One brave soul challenged Eli to a $100 MM, his name is Mask. This got really hyped up in the thread and between the people in our friend circle (Me + Free Saltines crew mostly).
Me and a few other people were drinking that night (this was after day 2 of APEX IIRC so PM was completely done, we were just partying and having a good time). Zhime mentioned to me that he found Mask, the guy who had challenged Eli to a $100 MM, in the free play room. Eli had already gone to sleep at this point (it was mad late). One of my other friends (I will keep him anonymous since it's not relevant to the story) suggested that it would be extremely funny if I impersonated Eli for the MM. We joked around a bit and I considered the fact that it would be highly unlikely we would find Mask again day 3 (especially since Eli and most of his crew were headed home on day 3), and since no other DK could pass for being Eli, I decided to do it. I walked up to Mask, introduced myself as Eli, mentioned the MM, etc. etc. and we ended up playing it. I 3-0'd him, but his Zard impressed me nonetheless, which isn't easy to do because I play Metroid's Zard more often than most of the community.

That's the story. Mask, if you feel like you were cheated or something and want a refund I can probably manage that. Just shoot me a PM with your PayPal. But if I had lost, I definitely would have given you $100 and not johned out saying I wasn't Eli. I had the money on me just in case. Even if it was under false pretenses, we played a legitimate $100 Money Match, and you got to play me with $100 on the line. I will say that there's no chance Eli would have lost either (the set count was 3-0, after all). I gave $50 of it to Eli, though, so at this juncture I can only refund my half reasonably. If Eli won't refund his half then I guess I'll try to cover that as well, I don't want any bad blood between us dude.

Tagging @ BluntedMask BluntedMask
I appreciate the gesture but its all good. I did put a lot of money on the line with someone who I probably wouldn't have beaten.
I learned a harsh lesson that I wasn't as good as I thought I was. If anything it has motivated me to be better so that losing doesn't happen again.

No johns on my part though, I should've known who I was facing and should've done some studying on videos which I didn't do at all.

GGs nonetheless.

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
I was kidding about the sue comment, btw. Ppl are way too sue-happy this day and age, it's discouraging. LoL StrongBad that was pretty smart, though deceiving. And good show to BluntedMask.

Top Bottom