• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What happened to Throwing?!

Jeffisc001

Smash Rookie
Ok I skipped melee since gamecube sucked. But can someone tell me if they like how throwing sucks now? There is so much lag that it has been nerfed to almost useless. Throwing was what i used most in SSB n64 and now i use it the least. Does anyone feel the same way? I really dislike what has happened to the series and am seriously disappointed. Note that I am coming straight from the n64 version.

CodeytheRhino

Smash Apprentice
Melee ***** the 64 version, for the record.
Anyways, throws aren't really powerful but they are nice to set up "combos" (in b4 someone says you can't combo in Brawl) The down or up throws are particularly useful, IMO

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
Ah, well, we've all already gotten used to the nerfed throwing since melee, but yes, reading your post brings me back to when I first played melee and saw that throwing was no longer the overpowered attack it was

that being said, I think it's a good thing they made throwing weaker, and I don't see how you're disappointed with brawl, especailly coming from n64. I mean, do you not like brawl for the sole reason that throwing isn't as good?

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
"Ok I skipped melee since gamecube sucked."

I stopped here.

tafutureboy

Smash Ace
Melee ***** the 64 version, for the record.
Anyways, throws aren't really powerful but they are nice to set up "combos" (in b4 someone says you can't combo in Brawl) The down or up throws are particularly useful, IMO
what, I can combo in Brawl...people do it, just the ignorant people say that (theones that go back to melee after buying Brawl and after one day)

-sonny-

Smash Journeyman
Ah, well, we've all already gotten used to the nerfed throwing since melee, but yes, reading your post brings me back to when I first played melee and saw that throwing was no longer the overpowered attack it was

that being said, I think it's a good thing they made throwing weaker, and I don't see how you're disappointed with brawl, especailly coming from n64. I mean, do you not like brawl for the sole reason that throwing isn't as good?
I'm sorry, "especially coming from n64"?! A lot of people, myself included, find SSB64 to be their favourite of the series.

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
Throwing sucks now.

In Smash 64 throws could kill.
In Melee throws could combo.
In Brawl they are poor for killing and for comboing. Sure shield grabs are a bit ridiculous, but throwing is a shadow of its former glory.

Very few characters can really chain throw anymore. Throws don't really have much knockback. Then because of the short hit stun, air dodges and increased DI you aren't going to be able to follow up a throw with more then like 2 hits on any decent player.

timbu

Smash Apprentice
so much fail in this thread.

Brawl throws are still good, if one forgets the ability to control the pace of the game by throwing off your enemy's rhythm and dictating pace they're missing out on a huge part of throwing.

In 64, throws were near broken, too easy to pull off (unless you're playing Isai or something) and too strong.

In melee, throws were used to control the game, throw off your enemy's shielding and for comboing.

Brawl has killing throws (try down-throw with squirtle), just as much as melee did, and if throws came back like 64 throws nobody would be happy.

and tafutureboy, I think he was saying that you CAN combo in Brawl, though the perfect shielding and virtually no hit lag makes it harder indeed on better players.

Oh and Gamecube was awesome, and melee rules.

Mario77

Smash Apprentice
This thread blows hard. Gamecube does not suck, YOU suck!

Yeah you! ...Throws > you.

mark.

Smash Journeyman
Throwing sucks now.

In Smash 64 throws could kill.
In Melee throws could combo.
In Brawl they are poor for killing and for comboing. Sure shield grabs are a bit ridiculous, but throwing is a shadow of its former glory.

Very few characters can really chain throw anymore. Throws don't really have much knockback. Then because of the short hit stun, air dodges and increased DI you aren't going to be able to follow up a throw with more then like 2 hits on any decent player.
definitely. throwing isnt as good as what it was in melee.
people can say what they want, but it's just not as useful.

Frey

Smash Journeyman
Lol at the gamecube fanboys, the only good reason to buy it was for the nintendo exclusives, other than that the cube was last place last gen. I have a gc so dont call me some random guy who doesnt own it bashing it. Now back to topic, i liked ssbs throws, and isai indeed was a pain to try a throw on.

Finch

Smash Lord
Throws are so useless now. Only a few throws in the game actually do something for you: DeDeDe's dthrow, G&W's dthrow, pikachu's dthrow against spacies, etc. The rest just do like 3% and allow your opponent to easily airdodge any chance of followup. And none of them kill except at like 200% minimum.

distr0ia

Smash Apprentice
throws were too good before, in my opinion

there are alternatives to shield-throwing every time an attack whifs and now we have to consider them. (I played Sammy, so I'm used to upB anyway lol)

NKCell

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure I know what you guys are talking about. I main Ness, and throws are still an integral part of my game. Ness might have better throws than most though, I'm not sure. The other characters I play fairly regularly I still throw quite a bit (DeDeDe and Olimar). Personally, I find throws are more powerful in Brawl than in Melee (but once again, that could be because of my character selection).

Top Bottom