• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

D

Deleted member

New one: Opponent uses tag "Training" or "Learning", lose one match then bust out their main. Like isn't the point of training to learn from your mistakes to get better with the character?
Yes, but a lot of characters are difficult to master, some examples being :4sheik:, :4fox:, :4marth:, :4sonic:, :4yoshi:, :4peach:, and, in my opinion, :4dk:. So of course, it's frustrating.

But I'm guilty of this. If :4dk: loses even once, I immediately switch to :4cloud:.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Yes, but a lot of characters are difficult to master, some examples being :4sheik:, :4fox:, :4marth:, :4sonic:, :4yoshi:, :4peach:, and, in my opinion, :4dk:. So of course, it's frustrating.

But I'm guilty of this. If :4dk: loses even once, I immediately switch to :4cloud:.
I don't care if you switch out your characters. A lot of people do that. But why make it known that you're trying to train a character with a tag like "ImTraining" just to throw it all to the wind after one loss? It's not like there's money on the line.

I guess I just don't understand the mentality.

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
I play primarily on the 3ds version. I find it easier to control my character and such. What i hate is when youre playing against someone who is actually really bad, but you just can't recover quickly enough to punish them because they roll across the map or some other stupid ****. And of course these players ALWAYS save their replays. Even if there wasn't anything special about the match. My favorite thing is when im playing my main (:4marth:) And they switch to Marcina. I enjoy a good marcina match. But the best matches i've had on FG were against ZSS players.Dunno why but somehow the demographic for what type of players play which characters has changed alot.

D

Deleted member

I play primarily on the 3ds version. I find it easier to control my character and such. What i hate is when youre playing against someone who is actually really bad, but you just can't recover quickly enough to punish them because they roll across the map or some other stupid ****. And of course these players ALWAYS save their replays. Even if there wasn't anything special about the match. My favorite thing is when im playing my main (:4marth:) And they switch to Marcina. I enjoy a good marcina match. But the best matches i've had on FG were against ZSS players.Dunno why but somehow the demographic for what type of players play which characters has changed alot.
Yeah, it seems like the highly skilled players only use the top-high tiers (and maybe :4peach: and :4lucina:). Anyone not as skilled would play any character, regardless of tier.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
It never gets old getting accused of Lag/Lag Switching on For Glory.

A few days ago I was playing 2V2 For Glory with my friend and we played for four hours, if not more that day. During that time I never encountered lag, or if there was it came in severely short bursts and was extremely minimal. When we got paired up with these two guys it stretched a two minute match into eight minutes... It was extremely horrendous and lasted the whole time.

While it's doing this the guy playing Samus is taunting and tea-bagging, doing anything to be disrespectful as well. Due to that and ya know, not helping his friend they lost the match. Then comes the "FIX UR LAG", "REPORTED", "LAGGERS", and other such tags. Like they obviously had ten tags prepared for this exact occasion. Once we left them we didn't encounter any lag that horrid or at all for that matter for the rest of the night. Only when we encounter lag that bad do these types show up. Strange, isn't it....?

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
In For Glory FFA, sometimes there's two players who would start double teamming me and not attack the other player. And most of the time, the other player not a part of the two players is either:
  • Not a very good player, which leads to them being easy prey for the other two players.
  • Focuses way too much on me instead of the other two.

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
As I mentioned before, there seems to be A LOT of people who just LOVE to run up to the ledge with their back facing it.

It's like they expect me to approach them in the most retarted way possible, and so they can make me regret my existence and/or decision to play Smash Bros. against them or something.

That, and they seem to be stage-spiking gods. =__=* Who has time to practice all of that damn ****? (Oh, lemme guess, not me since I'm never going to be as good as those guys are and they need to smack my *** to prove it)

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
As I mentioned before, there seems to be A LOT of people who just LOVE to run up to the ledge with their back facing it.

It's like they expect me to approach them in the most retarted way possible, and so they can make me regret my existence and/or decision to play Smash Bros. against them or something.

That, and they seem to be stage-spiking gods. =__=* Who has time to practice all of that damn ****? (Oh, lemme guess, not me since I'm never going to be as good as those guys are and they need to smack my *** to prove it)
They're not trying to prove anything just because they're beating you. You're making out that everyone is a jerk just because they beat you.

You've posted multiple rants over the last few pages, and you've complained about basically everything you've lost to and implied that the opponent is somehow cheap or morally wrong for their tactics.

If you're going to get like this everytime you lose and your temperament isn't improving then perhaps competitive game modes aren't a healthy option for you and maybe you should consider different types of games instead. Acknowledging that you're salty doesn't change the fact you're still constantly repeating the same pattern, and doesn't make it any less annoying for everyone else to put up with.

But if you insist on playing FG, and you're complaining about losing to spammers and cheeze tactics, I guarantee you you're not playing patiently and safely enough. This is the counterplay to all spam and gimmick BS. Actively focus on on being more patient and non-commital.

The biggest step is just not dashing at them whenever you reset to mid range. The next step after that is then bluffing with movement without committing to anything. A lot of people here think they're so advanced because they don't roll, but rolling is actually a big part of movement in neutral for a lot of characters. Just don't constantly roll behind people.

If you execute these steps properly you won't lose to any BS. You'll only lose to people who are better at doing the same thing, in which case they'll be good practice for you.

Last edited:

Mothraniclus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1178-0677-3736

You're Implying they're going out of their way to beat you in some stylish form or something, which makes it sound a lot like you've got a victim complex. We shouldn't be telling you that it's just a game, but you can't seem to get that through. Actions speak louder than words, complaining won't change how everyone else plays. You should get some rests in between games to calm you down, otherwise this is going to keep repeating.

Last edited:

Stylin

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3840-7108-2356
Regardless of the mode, upon defeating the opponent, (assuming you were willing to continue) they battle you again with Cloud.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Have any of you ever faced "that one player"? In a free for all, a single specific player seems to have a beef with you, they do their best to target you while still not really going into the punishable by ban "bullying" territory, They may repeatedly go after you when you're trying to focus on another opponent, focus more on you than any other opponent in every match, mock or taunt you and only you whenever they see fit while appearing virtually indifferent to everyone else, and their behavior overall just seems to come off as wanting to best you specifically or wanting to prove that they're so much better than you.

I don't know, maybe it's just the way I personally read the way these players have acted, but I feel like a lot of people I've fought in FFAs just have some kind of beef with me starting after one match. Either I beat them and they put all their heart and energy into fighting and beating me than the other two players after that point, or they beat me and simply choose to act arrogant and insulting towards me during any match from the first onward. They still fight the other people sometimes, but if they K.O. me or I fail to best them, they only taunt me and couldn't seem to care less about the others. That's how a lot of people have acted towards me in FFAs, and I've seen it happen to other players during FFAs as well. I can't say I'm fond of the behavior. It's not like a 1v1 where you can get a nice opponent or a rude one, or if the opponent is acting like a jerk in general during a FFA match, but it's like after one bad experience they want to target me specifically and forcibly make me their arch-enemy or something. In any case, it usually really annoys me, because I feel like I'm being targeted throughout the matches and that their sole goal in all of this is just to ruin any fun I could be having and force my battles to essentially be a 1v1 every time.

Now I will say I don't usually let this behavior get to me; I usually ignore them when I can or think little of the way they act, but it still kinda irks me knowing or feeling like this person just wants to be my arch-enemy for some reason. Have any of you ever felt targeted by a specific player in a similar way?

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
Have any of you ever faced "that one player"? In a free for all, a single specific player seems to have a beef with you, they do their best to target you while still not really going into the punishable by ban "bullying" territory, They may repeatedly go after you when you're trying to focus on another opponent, focus more on you than any other opponent in every match, mock or taunt you and only you whenever they see fit while appearing virtually indifferent to everyone else, and their behavior overall just seems to come off as wanting to best you specifically or wanting to prove that they're so much better than you.

I don't know, maybe it's just the way I personally read the way these players have acted, but I feel like a lot of people I've fought in FFAs just have some kind of beef with me starting after one match. Either I beat them and they put all their heart and energy into fighting and beating me than the other two players after that point, or they beat me and simply choose to act arrogant and insulting towards me during any match from the first onward. They still fight the other people sometimes, but if they K.O. me or I fail to best them, they only taunt me and couldn't seem to care less about the others. That's how a lot of people have acted towards me in FFAs, and I've seen it happen to other players during FFAs as well. I can't say I'm fond of the behavior. It's not like a 1v1 where you can get a nice opponent or a rude one, or if the opponent is acting like a jerk in general during a FFA match, but it's like after one bad experience they want to target me specifically and forcibly make me their arch-enemy or something. In any case, it usually really annoys me, because I feel like I'm being targeted throughout the matches and that their sole goal in all of this is just to ruin any fun I could be having and force my battles to essentially be a 1v1 every time.

Now I will say I don't usually let this behavior get to me; I usually ignore them when I can or think little of the way they act, but it still kinda irks me knowing or feeling like this person just wants to be my arch-enemy for some reason. Have any of you ever felt targeted by a specific player in a similar way?
Meh, every online player has given enough salt to me to the point where I just have to realize I need to put the game down for a while.

Plus, you also have to be aware that there's no clear matchmaking system; opponents you fight are going to have very ambiguously calculated skill levels.

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
The one character that'll stand at one side of the stage and projectile spam during 4 way smash. Normally it wouldn't be a problem for me but more often than not (at least when I play) the other 2 fighters just let them not only get away with it but punish me if I attack the spammer.

tskidless

Smash Cadet
NNID
tskidless
Has anyone ever gotten flak simply because of the character they play as? I remember when Cloud first came out and I was playing doubles and there was this one Cloud who kept getting beat by this other Cloud and he got angry at him. I don't see why people get so angry and take FG so seriously. Getting angry will cause you to make more mistakes usually and play poorer overall.

Another thing that annoys me are people that troll. The act of trolling itself doesn't bother me since most of the people who do troll aren't very skilled to begin with, and the that fact I can just simply leave afterward regardless of the result. What does bother me is the fact that they could troll some random kid who just wants to have fun. Same thing goes for people who think you're cheap simply because you beat them.

KirbCider

Smash Ace

Oh no, you definitely aren't alone.

I tend to stay away from For Glory Free-for-All but sometimes I'll try my hand at it when I get bored enough. I once had someone throw an absolute tantrum at me during one of them. I switched between King Dedede and Bayonetta (both who I main) and never once spammed, camped, or even solely targeted one person. I don't think I did anything wrong or anything; however I did SOMETHING to set this player off. They would go as far as blaming everyone cause I won and would throw out insults as well.

They would target me specifically and just throw out the angriest tags ever if I ever happened to win a match. If they won, they'd act all smug. I still don't know to this day exactly what I did to make that person so overly salty over me and me specifically.

Was it because I was switching from a bottom tier to a top tier? Did they see that as insulting? I may never know.

Has anyone ever gotten flak simply because of the character they play as? I remember when Cloud first came out and I was playing doubles and there was this one Cloud who kept getting beat by this other Cloud and he got angry at him. I don't see why people get so angry and take FG so seriously. Getting angry will cause you to make more mistakes usually and play poorer overall.

Another thing that annoys me are people that troll. The act of trolling itself doesn't bother me since most of the people who do troll aren't very skilled to begin with, and the that fact I can just simply leave afterward regardless of the result. What does bother me is the fact that they could troll some random kid who just wants to have fun. Same thing goes for people who think you're cheap simply because you beat them.
You also aren't alone there. I main Bayonetta and I still get people who either SD or try to mirror me without any knowledge of how she works other than "LOL spam Witch Time and Heel Slide!". It honestly gets really, really annoying and tiresome, but what can you do? I noticed the people that tend to do this are the ones who can't even DI out of her combos correctly, so there's that.

Sadly we just can't control what kind of players we get. It's always gonna be a mixed bag of nuts in For Glory.

And sometimes those nuts will be very, very salty.

Last edited:

hsk8479

Smash Rookie
NNID
Vaulick
Honestly? A bunch of things. But I've found some hilarious counters that make them ragequit.

1. Noob Ikes that run to 1 side of the stage and spam side b, smash attacks, and counters. Easy to beat but irritating, hilariously easy to counter with Samus. Just spam missiles and charge shots until rage quit. Same for noob Ganons, Charizards, etc.
2. Luigi players that just constantly spam spotdodge and do shield grabs. Frustrated me to no goddamn end until I learned to properly pivot grab.
3. Easy bake combo users. Will only play Bowser, Mario, DK, Luigi and the like and only ever go for the simple guaranteed combos no matter what until death percents and then just spam smash attacks. Harder to counter if they space correctly and of course it's a perfectly valid and sometimes effective style, it just falls apart against disjoints and good projectile users. It's especially irritating when it's past the percent range that it works and they still go for it, I swear it's like fighting a CPU. Easy to counter just because they end up so predictable, just bait for days.

The thing that irritates me the most is that most of the above just never adapt, they've got the one style, they focus on it and it cripples them from ever getting better because it does work sometimes.

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
Honestly? A bunch of things. But I've found some hilarious counters that make them ragequit.

1. Noob Ikes that run to 1 side of the stage and spam side b, smash attacks, and counters. Easy to beat but irritating, hilariously easy to counter with Samus. Just spam missiles and charge shots until rage quit. Same for noob Ganons, Charizards, etc.
2. Luigi players that just constantly spam spotdodge and do shield grabs. Frustrated me to no goddamn end until I learned to properly pivot grab.
3. Easy bake combo users. Will only play Bowser, Mario, DK, Luigi and the like and only ever go for the simple guaranteed combos no matter what until death percents and then just spam smash attacks. Harder to counter if they space correctly and of course it's a perfectly valid and sometimes effective style, it just falls apart against disjoints and good projectile users. It's especially irritating when it's past the percent range that it works and they still go for it, I swear it's like fighting a CPU. Easy to counter just because they end up so predictable, just bait for days.

The thing that irritates me the most is that most of the above just never adapt, they've got the one style, they focus on it and it cripples them from ever getting better because it does work sometimes.
I too have encountered people like that, mainly the very latter once again, on 3DS. People just have gotten more time to devote on that platform imho compared to the Wii U version that everyone else would want to play.

The Luigi players I encounter are pretty beast; they often waddle left-and-right as their own form of personal taunting, but they can actually back it up (not to mention they are indeed possibly very rude as ****).

The noobs however are very rare; most likely you're playing on the Wii U version where once again, styled-on-montages and ragers are often seen in YouTube videos solely regarding that version of the game.

Last edited:

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
People who say things such as "Your bad" or "Noob" after you lose a match
Finding a decent player, thinking you're having some good matches, until they pull a win, and you find out that they were raging the whole time, without any provocation whatsoever. What a pity.

Kaze Arashi

Smash Journeyman
Queens New York. Occasionally in Smashville
NNID
marshie2014
When you just want to train on for glory and u clearly state that but the people can't read your name tag.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top Bottom