• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What got you into smash?

zero sum

Smash Apprentice
saw this set and knew i had to start playing this game
i watched the majority of mlg anaheim that summer too because i didn't have anything better to do and my first thought after the end of that tournament was ‘oh my god. i have to buy this game.’ waited a few months to start playing people and now the rest is history.

GrapeSodaGuru

Smash Rookie
I was at my cousin's house and he had Melee and Brawl, so I tried Brawl and thought it was fun but tried Melee and I was like "man this game is old and lame!" so later I looked up Brawl footage, got the game, and eventually sort of tried to get serious by practicing but um.. Brawl so... I heard later that Melee was more competitive and I sort of kept it in the back of my mind. Eventually I went to camp and had a week of him telling me more about the characters and stages and events so I went and got it. I ended up bidding for it on eBay and got it for 60 dollars and I was super happy. The End.

Incoming prologue...
So the game shipped. I put it into my Wii and... Game disc unreadable. I freaked. Called the seller. My dad was like "try cleaning the disk?" And that didn't work. So I remembered the Vintage Stock store near my house where I originally intended to get the game (of course they had no copies and fun fact, my cousin got it here when you could still get it for like 15 bucks) and we went there to check if they had a disk cleaner and they did. They cleaned it and we put it into the test system. All was well in the world.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I've also always played fighting games since Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat on SNES and SEGA Genesis. Also played them in arcades as a kid. So I grew up always having them in my life - even owned a Neo Geo where I played an assortment of SNK titles. That aside, one day shortly after release, I went over my friend Kane's house and played Smash Bros 64... all night long and then some the next day without sleep. That game was amazing, so I did some chores and ended up getting a copy for myself. Did the same when Melee hit and then on. I didn't start getting serious into the scene until Project M hit, but it's been a game that I've played since launch and always loved.

LegendarySquid

Smash Rookie
Grew up playing the GameCube as it was my first and favorite gaming system. Melee was one of the games that I got with it. Naturally, I had a blast playing the game for many years as a party game. A little over a year ago, a friend told me about the competitive community and I've wanted to compete ever since. Still haven't been to any locals, though.

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
Funnily enough, Melee was actually my first Smash game. I started playing at my neighbors house when I was about 7, and I loved it, I would go there to play any time I could. My favorites where Yoshi, Kirby, and Game and Watch. X) 2 years later (in 2009) they got a Wii and Brawl, and I loved it even more. (Lol) I immediately started playing Meta Knight, because I thought he was cool. :p I also played some Lucario, Snake, Bowser, and Wolf. They also had a house rule that Ike and Pit were banned unless ou were using a Wiimote, and you can't use Sonic if someone else is. Also, when my friends would tell me that Meta Knight was too strong, I said that his downside was his bad Final Smash. xD But after my neighbor lost Melee and their copy of Brawl broke, I kinda forgot about Smash. But then last year, I saw Brawl at a garage sale and went "Oh yeah, Brawl! I love that game!" I then got it and starting casual'ing it out with my brothers for the next few months. And then Smash 4 came out. I didn't even realize it was coming until about a month before Wii U version came out, so I was rather excited and decided I needed a 3DS. So, I scraped the money together and got it on the same day Smash Wii U launched. And I loved it. I don't recall exactly how long it was before I started playing on For Glory, but I do remember using Little Mac and Meta Knight a lot. xD And eventually, I learned of competitive Melee. And here I am.

stuartgreene

Smash Rookie
Mates on mumble pressured me into it, now I play more then them!

Although I did play it for a few weeks with my nephew when I was like 15 or something.

Last edited:

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
Watching the Documentary back in Nov. Played Melee since it came out and never knew that you could do all this tech. Also, seeing how competitive and deep the community is together. That what brought me in.

Herbie

Smash Rookie
NNID
EBonett
I use to play with my cousin's every time I went over their house. Eventually I stumbled upon competitive melee from watching Halo back in '06 when they had it on the circuit.

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
I was playing brawl with my friend and at e3 they had the invitational. Cool and all but someone in the comments said something about project m, and changed my life. I started to look up competitive brawl, beat my friend like a sandbag, and eventually got bored. I soon got project m 4 days before Christmas and holy sh*t I lost interest in 4 like that! I played roy, my favorite melee character and looked up project m roy and from there I settled on my brawl mains marth sheik and falcon. I had gotten melee and a gc controller this March, but at the cost of pm and an incomplete save file. I got the 20th hack pack and just grinder out tech and studied my characters. I was beating all my friends effortlessly. I got pm back soon and switched to regular melee. I recently went to my first tournament and my second is next week. I'm way better at this game then I thought I was. My friends don't have the same drive as I do and I feel special because of it.

Top Bottom