• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What got you into smash?

Trainwreckk

Smash Rookie
I've always played fighting games. I'd spend most of my day on the computer watching tournies. Games like MK, Tekken, etc. I came across smash Evo 2013 and the hype was unreal! My friend recommended me getting it for 3ds. Which lead me to melee. I hadn't played since n64 and I found a partner to pratice tech with. Playing a game with so much hype potential and learning with my friends is the best. Tell me what got you into smash? :falconmelee:

AirFair

Marth tho
I had melee bc of my older brother. I came across the documentary last year and that got me into going competitive.

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
I was a huge fan of brawl and it was my favorite game of all time even though I didn't grab, shield or did anything competitive. After awhile I got slightly better and now that smash 4's out I play somewhat competitively. (I would go to tournaments but there is like none in my area).

Sorry melee fans I didn't grow up with your game lol.

TheCrusaderp

Smash Rookie
My older brother played Smash, and when I was 3 or 4 years old I started to play Melee with him. I didn't know what I was doing at all, I would play as Pikachu because he was the only character I knew. After that my obsession with Smash just grew, and continues growing to this day.

Creeper McStalk

Smash Rookie
NNID
GuttsTheBeserk
My friend down the street got melee back in like 2005 and i played it with friends until my hands hurt.

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
My Dentist office had Melee in it when I was younger and I saw that you can play as all my favorite Nintendo characters like Pikachu, Link, and Fox so I was so happy and got it later that year for my birthday.

Last edited:

pagedMov

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pagedMov
So like, I've been playing Smash since Melee came out in 2001, I think I've spent the most time on Brawl even though I don't play it competitive, but I've always known about Smash tournaments. Recently, when Smash on the 3DS came out, I was having sort of like a crisis where I knew that I wanted to play video games at a competitive level, I just didn't know which game to play. I was stuck between Smash and TF2/CSGO, but after seeing the set between Armada and Leffen at Paragon 2015 in Loser's Quarters, I really think that's what tipped me more toward Smash. Originally I was going to play Smash 4, but then I realized that Melee had crazy movement options and an unbelievable skill cap and I'm all about that kinda stuff, so I'm playing Melee now trying to be the very best like no one ever was.

Trainwreckk

Smash Rookie
My Dentist office had Melee in it when I was younger and I saw that you can play as all my favorite Nintendo characters like Pikachu, Link, and Fox so I was so happy and got it later that year for my birthday.
That's pretty wild, mate. I've never heard of a dentist place like that.. So jealous!

Trainwreckk

Smash Rookie
So like, I've been playing Smash since Melee came out in 2001, I think I've spent the most time on Brawl even though I don't play it competitive, but I've always known about Smash tournaments. Recently, when Smash on the 3DS came out, I was having sort of like a crisis where I knew that I wanted to play video games at a competitive level, I just didn't know which game to play. I was stuck between Smash and TF2/CSGO, but after seeing the set between Armada and Leffen at Paragon 2015 in Loser's Quarters, I really think that's what tipped me more toward Smash. Originally I was going to play Smash 4, but then I realized that Melee had crazy movement options and an unbelievable skill cap and I'm all about that kinda stuff, so I'm playing Melee now trying to be the very best like no one ever was.
Yesssir. That was an amazing set. My person favorite set is probably S2J v.s Westballz at SCR. Played melee for a lil bit searching for a main and that tourny helped. Lolo I love the skillcap level melee compared to other games.. Every is so technical and you never know what's going to happen as far as a combo.

Nal

Smash Rookie
My good pal proxibomb on here got me into competitive melee. I don't remember particularly how I found out about it but I guess I got it as a gift back in like 2004 or 2005.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
That's pretty wild, mate. I've never heard of a dentist place like that.. So jealous!
I got pretty good at the original Frogger because my dentist had a multi-game arcade cabinet. I guess having video games in a dentist's office is just a US thing.

Trainwreckk

Smash Rookie
My good pal proxibomb on here got me into competitive melee. I don't remember particularly how I found out about it but I guess I got it as a gift back in like 2004 or 2005.
How long have you been in the scene?

RedMoon2546

Smash Cadet
NNID
omi
When I was about three or four I would constantly play with my older brother and is of his friends. We gave it to another friend and they sold it and ended our smash playing till brawl came out. We bought brawl in 2010, and played as much as possible. I started getting super interested in smash and only waited a month for smash four to come out till I bought and played the heck out of it. I was interested in playing melee again so I asked my friend from the beginning of this story to bring it so we can play on my GameCube. It felt weird playing with these physics and I'm just now starting to beat comps consistently (i managed to beat the whole roster on lvl seven two days after playing again in forever, used roy) and i know my new journey wanting to play melee agin and sm4sh more seriously will be great. ive just discovered tournaments this summer and now im hooked.

Last edited:

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
I got Melee in 2003 after playing it at somebody's house. I played it as a party game for several years before growing out of it sometime after getting a Wii. I only found out that the game had a competitive scene in 2012 when word of Smash 4 being in development. In 2013 I watched the Evo finals and started checking out more competitive matches. This is what initially got me into playing again, though I mostly played against CPU's. Throughout 2014, I continued to watch more videos, play Melee whenever I could and I finally watched the documentary sometime during the second half of the year. This is where I started getting more invested in the competitive scene, getting myself a CRT, learning tech skill and as of this year, getting out and attending local tournaments.

Last edited:

CrackaaJack

Smash Cadet
I've always played fighting games. I'd spend most of my day on the computer watching tournies. Games like MK, Tekken, etc. I came across smash Evo 2013 and the hype was unreal! My friend recommended me getting it for 3ds. Which lead me to melee. I hadn't played since n64 and I found a partner to pratice tech with. Playing a game with so much hype potential and learning with my friends is the best. Tell me what got you into smash? :falconmelee:
I've been playing Melee since the day it came out. I killed bots, played adventure, and even got 11 seconds on Fox's target test. I didn't know what competitive Melee was until June of last year when I started playing Project M. I watched VGbootcamp for their PM at Xanadu and then I started watching Melee and realized that it was the greatest video game ever invented.

Gilbz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MrGilbz
I grew up on melee. I used to think Roy was the best character in the game. I never realized there was even a such thing as competitive melee until my friend showed it to me. By that time I had already traded in my gamecube and games to gamestop (and made absolutely no money). I played Brawl for a long time, never realizing how much better melee is (IMO). This year my friend got me into project m, and I found the Documentary. I was hooked and decided to spend a lot of my time on Melee :D. I'm still yet to go to any big tournaments but I'm planning on going to Big House 5. :falconmelee:

Lime Cultivist

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3368-3457-2010
My friend showed Melee to me in middle school, and of course I had no idea what I was doing when we played. I lost every time, probably never took a single stock, but I wanted to beat him. This was only about 2 weeks before Brawl came out, and we played that when we both got it for many years. But we came back to Melee after the decision that we wanted to get better.

Trainwreckk

Smash Rookie
When I was about three or four I would constantly play with my older brother and is of his friends. We gave it to another friend and they sold it and ended our smash playing till brawl came out. We bought brawl in 2010, and played as much as possible. I started getting super interested in smash and only waited a month for smash four to come out till I bought and played the heck out of it. I was interested in playing melee again so I asked my friend from the beginning of this story to bring it so we can play on my GameCube. It felt weird playing with these physics and I'm just now starting to beat comps consistently (i managed to beat the whole roster on lvl seven two days after playing again in forever, used roy) and i know my new journey wanting to play melee agin and sm4sh more seriously will be great. ive just discovered tournaments this summer and now im hooked.
Heck yea, who's your main?

Trainwreckk

Smash Rookie
I got Melee in 2003 after playing it at somebodies house. I played it as a party game for several years before growing out of it sometime after getting a Wii. I only found out that the game had a competitive scene in 2012 when word of Smash 4 being in development. In 2013 I watched the Evo finals and started checking out more competitive matches. This is what initially got me into playing again, though I mostly played against CPU's. Throughout 2014, I continued to watch more videos, play Melee whenever I could and I finally watched the documentary sometime during the second half of the year. This is where I started getting more invested in the competitive scene, getting myself a CRT, learning tech skill and as of this year, getting out and attending local tournaments.
That's what I like to hear.. I've been practicing a bit and want to start getting into tournies. Who do ya main?

Trainwreckk

Smash Rookie
I grew up on melee. I used to think Roy was the best character in the game. I never realized there was even a such thing as competitive melee until my friend showed it to me. By that time I had already traded in my gamecube and games to gamestop (and made absolutely no money). I played Brawl for a long time, never realizing how much better melee is (IMO). This year my friend got me into project m, and I found the Documentary. I was hooked and decided to spend a lot of my time on Melee :D. I'm still yet to go to any big tournaments but I'm planning on going to Big House 5. :falconmelee:
The Big House 5?? Inpressive.. Falcon main?

Trainwreckk

Smash Rookie
My friend showed Melee to me in middle school, and of course I had no idea what I was doing when we played. I lost every time, probably never took a single stock, but I wanted to beat him. This was only about 2 weeks before Brawl came out, and we played that when we both got it for many years. But we came back to Melee after the decision that we wanted to get better.
My friend grew up on smash.. I played once on the 64 before my friend convinced me to get 3ds version. I love melee.. Its a god send.. Tech grinding is so much fun.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I've been playing Super Smash Bros. as my favorite game series since I was 7 years old (N64 til Melee, then Melee until like 2009) and I've always been competitively-minded.

It's more that I was kept away from the competitive community for many years due to living circumstances. Finally got into it in 2013 when 4 planets aligned in one direction and 3 in the other.

Last edited:

Vardant

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1092-0950-3259
What got me into smash? I first played melee in 2001 when I was 3 with my older brother as he had just gotten it for his gamecube from a friend. I stopped playing for a long time and didn't pick it back up until 2008-2009ish when I met someone who would go on to be my best friend who had melee and I'd always play it and I haven't stopped since. I'm more focused on 3DS right now than anything though.

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
That's what I like to hear.. I've been practicing a bit and want to start getting into tournies. Who do ya main?
My characters are in my sig mate. Marth is my main, Sheik is my secondary. I play Falcon but I'm nowhere near good enough to main him yet, so for now he'll remain a secondary/pocket pick. I have fun playing with Doc and Puff and they can be useful every now and then. And I've recently started playing Falco, just for swag points.

Mitochondria-Eve

Smash Rookie
Melee was the very first Smash game I played... I don't remember exactly what I saw, but I remember seeing some sort of ad for Melee in a magazine or something. I was completely unfamiliar with Smash at a time, so when I saw Melee, I was all over it. Just seeing a bunch of my favorite Nintendo characters (specifically Pikachu and Link at the time) duke it out was like a dream come true. Soon enough, I got Melee along with my very first GameCube in a bundle! I've been playin' Smash ever since then.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Some guys yelled "MONEY MATCH?" at me in a parking lot a year ago, and now here I am.

Last edited:
Top Bottom