• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What does -x On Shield mean?

SereneMOS

Smash Rookie
I've been on ultimate frame data a lot recently, but I noticed that one of the values for moves given is something like, -4 On Shield. I don't know what it means and I wanted to see if someone else did.

Nah

Smash Champion
It's basically an indicator of how safe the move is on shield, the more negative the number, the more unsafe it is. "Frame advantage" is the technical term I think.

If a move is -10 on shield, it means that the shielder can act 10 frames before the attacker can. A move listed as +10 on shield means that the attacker can act 10 frames sooner than the shielder. I don't know how exactly the math works, but it's largely a result of move damage, endlag/landing lag, and shield drop frames

It's a smidge more complicated than that though, as you also need to account for the move's range, the opponent's OoS options, and human reaction time in order to get a better sense of shield safety

Last edited:
Top Bottom