• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what does this mean

puff..jigglypuff

Smash Apprentice
first of all. i tried to post in the dojo section but wouldnt allow me. anyone know why?

back to the topic :)

with todays update. the snake stuff. its not the same for me as to most of you
since i live in the uk i go to the uk option when i go to the site.

i read about everyone talking about these three vidoes but i did not get them sadly. i just checked the american option and they were there though.

i was thinking he might have just simply missed out there as he forgot about it but its never happened before so i was wondering if its possible that only the american games get all this stuff about snakes briefings.

dooky

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I just noticed that. My guess is that they were left off the European sites because they haven't been translated yet (if you check Snake's gameplay footage video on the French/German/Italian/Spanish sites, they've just left in the untranslated English dialogue), and they're pretty much meaningless if you can't understand them. UK/Ireland is part of Europe, so... maybe all the European sites are updated together, and we just didn't get those videos either. Pretty stupid if you ask me, but it's the best explanation I could come up with...

puff..jigglypuff

Smash Apprentice
if someone can be bothered maby they should check over both american and uk parts to see if any other differences are about that have been missed.

id do it but im a buzy man =]

dooky

Smash Cadet
There are a few differences I'm aware of, and I'm sure all of them have been commented on here at some point. Let's see... The US site says that Popo wears blue, while the UK site (and, it would seem, the other European sites as well) says he wears purple. There's also the Devil from Devil World being called "Demon" on the UK site, but I heard this was because Devil World actually got a European release, and that was how the game referred to him. There are probably other minor differences too, but those are the only ones I can recall.

Terrabottuti

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, I never really noticed that, since I check the US site mainly for this reason... as far as I can see, they didn't include the extra codec conversations really because they hadn't been translated yet at that time... since the UK and the US have some pretty different ideas of English even though it's essentially the same language, which explains things like the Blue/Purple Popo debate. Since the UK is a part of the ill-fated Europe, it's pretty much on the third tier of translation for this game, no doubt.

So it's pretty much likely they didn't want to give out some extra little videos with American spellings onto a British site, especially when you could really just check out the US site like I do anyway.

Kaburii

Smash Apprentice
This has happened before too - Devil vs. Demon. I'm pretty sure it has to do with censorship...Samus is naked, Wario farts. American humor vs. British humor perhaps?

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
This has happened before too - Devil vs. Demon. I'm pretty sure it has to do with censorship...Samus is naked, Wario farts. American humor vs. British humor perhaps?
American humour is very slapstick.

British humour is very subdued and intelligent.

Though, that's not the case all of the time. Just a general thing.

And I'm guessing he updates all of the European sites at the same time.

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
American humour is very slapstick.

British humour is very subdued and intelligent.

Though, that's not the case all of the time. Just a general thing.

And I'm guessing he updates all of the European sites at the same time.
Yea, cuz Monty Python is such intelligent humor.

dooky

Smash Cadet
I don't think this is censorship, just ineptitude. There's nothing remotely objectionable in those videos (unless you count the mention of farting, and that's appearedin other updates to the UK site). I think this is a case of Nintendo Europe opting not to include the videos because of langauge issues, while somehow forgetting that Europe includes some English-speaking countries.

I am genuinely intrigued by the editorial processes behind the UK/Ireland site. At first I assumed they just had someone copy-pasting the US updates, while altering the odd spelling here and there. But then there are some really odd changes that appear to be Europe-wide, like Popo's outfit being described as purple instead of blue, and the Devil becoming Demon. This last one certainly isn't censorship, since the title 'Devil World' is still used, and... well, Devil World was actually released in Europe anyway. This last one could be something as simple as the Devil being referred to as 'Demon' in the European instruction manuals back when the original game came out. But I'm stumped by the other example. Maybe the French/German/ Italian/Spanish translations are all based off the tweaked UK versions of the updates?

SuperAce

Smash Journeyman
It's probably just as well, since I always check the Japanese sight instead...
When will you Gai-jins learn that Potato is spelled the same way in all forms of English. Variations in dialect are futile!

dooky

Smash Cadet
Like I said. Minor variations in dilalect are futile Gai-jins. Check the Japanese updates!
Uh... okay. That's an endearing attitude.

UltimateShinigami said:
It doesn't matter. The UK/Ireland site is a dumb idea in the first place. YOU SPEAK THE SAME LANGUAGE. I visited it before to see if there was a difference. There wasn't
The only functional difference is the big "Launch Date: December 3rd" in the sidebar of the US site. The fact that Europe still doesn't have a release date suggests we're probably going to get the game about a year from now.

I actually do check the Japanese site on occasion, just because I'm a nerd and it's intriguing to see how the names of various things have been translated. But you'd need to be a hell of a lot more proficient in the langauge than I am to actually browse it effectively, and even then, why bother? I see little point unless you're actually in Japan, or are intending to buy the Japanese release...

puff..jigglypuff

Smash Apprentice
Uh... okay. That's an endearing attitude.

The only functional difference is the big "Launch Date: December 3rd" in the sidebar of the US site. The fact that Europe still doesn't have a release date suggests we're probably going to get the game about a year from now.

I actually do check the Japanese site on occasion, just because I'm a nerd and it's intriguing to see how the names of various things have been translated. But you'd need to be a hell of a lot more proficient in the langauge than I am to actually browse it effectively, and even then, why bother? I see little point unless you're actually in Japan, or are intending to buy the Japanese release...
actually i saw the uk release date somewhere. its was a game site though i cant remember which one.

if i remember correctly then im sure the release date was december the 7th

Top Bottom