• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What does this leave for the young tournament goers of the future?

Dagingabreadman

Smash Apprentice
If this generation's (melee's) pros (like PC Chris, Ken and Mew2King) retain atleast some of their amazing abilities at smash, what happens to our young players?

If Ken manages to still kick all of our ***** with Marth again, new players may not get a chance to make an impact on Brawl's metagame. Its possible that only players who were atleast semi pro at melee become competitively good.

This is not to say that new players will be poor at the game, just to say that they are not up to par with a rapidly increasing metagame.

What if things that seemed like advanced and high level techniques, turn out to be average or common techniques necessary in competitive play?

Could it end up that, in order to be good at one generation of smash, you must of been good at the previous generation of smash? If so, that could turn many players off of the tourney scene....

Wuzzy

Smash Cadet
Thats quite the opposite of how I think.

BECAUSE this is a new game, new players that were intrigued by the tourney scene of Melee will feel encouraged to join the scene developing in Brawl because Brawl is defiantly a totally fresh start.

If anything there will be an influx of new competitive players that will practice and develop their Brawl skills along with the pros coming from Melee and will continue to aspire to be a pro themselves.

However if the old pros come out on top again in Brawl, that's just how it goes.

But I don't think there will be any less competitive players in Brawl.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
The thing is, the techniques that were prevalent in Melee (Shffling, Wavedashing, Dash Dancing, Chain Throwing, "Ken Combo" type combos) have either been removed or significantly weakened in Brawl. That's not to say that no melee skill will translate in to Brawl skill, but mastery of Melee will not be necessary to master Brawl (in my opinion).

I would say it is entirely possible for brand new players to learn Brawl's various techniques and intricacies and become top tier Brawl players.

iron blade

Smash Ace
The thing is, the techniques that were prevalent in Melee (Shffling, Wavedashing, Dash Dancing, Chain Throwing, "Ken Combo" type combos) have either been removed or significantly weakened in Brawl. That's not to say that no melee skill will translate in to Brawl skill, but mastery of Melee will not be necessary to master Brawl (in my opinion).

I would say it is entirely possible for brand new players to learn Brawl's various techniques and intricacies and become top tier Brawl players.
QFT. I don't think being good at Melee will have very much of an impact for these reasons. I didn't say being good at Melee won't help though. I understand what OP is trying to say, but I agree with Wildfire393.

Mama

Smash Ace
Age has nothing to do with it. Talent, dedication and training has everything to do with it.
QFT

And its not that they were good at Melee. They were dedicated to Melee and talented. They maintain that mindset when going into Brawl and thats what will give them their boost. And if someone can't make it to the top because they never tried to dedicate themselves to learning everything in Melee then they do not deserve to see the top. Simple as that.

UncleGrandfather

Smash Cadet
There will always be new players that will become good and the game and attempt to dethrone the best of the competitive players. Especially with the amount of significant techniques that were very prevalent in Melee, but taken out of Brawl, the playing field will be much closer to level with the introduction of a new game in the series. There will be some advantages immediately for the older players from playing Melee so much, but they will still be somewhat dependent on the techniques from Melee and it will hurt their skill at Brawl. The newer players will then have time to build their skill and it wouldn't be too hard for us to see completely new players that are the best at Brawl, but never were at Melee.
Also, there will always be new players that discover the more advanced aspects of the game and are turned on to the tournament scene because of it. I personally just joined smash boards a few months ago and even though there is no way that I will be able to get to the point of winning tournaments for Melee, I am definitely going to practice with Brawl to try to. I wasn't turned away from the tournament scene in the slightest just because everyone was a lot better than me and it seemed as though there was no way that I could get as good as them in a shorter period of time. But now it doesn't matter because I will be playing Brawl, which I have a much better chance of beating people at.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
QFT

And its not that they were good at Melee. They were dedicated to Melee and talented. They maintain that mindset when going into Brawl and thats what will give them their boost. And if someone can't make it to the top because they never tried to dedicate themselves to learning everything in Melee then they do not deserve to see the top. Simple as that.
Good point. Also, if you haven't heard, Ken lost to someone in that LA tournament.

Pi

Smash Hero
You can always learn new things, and EVERYONE is going to have to to be at least decent at brawl. The top players of melee were top because they knew this and practiced it. They have that mind set of quick thinking and adapting that made them up there. Brawl is (unfortunately) a DIFFERENT game.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I dont really mean age by young, I mean in terms of how long they have been playing this franchise (smash age)
Same whoop. Talent, training and dedication will beat that if they just train hard enough. Or are you saying the reigning world champion in X-thing will always be the reigning world champion until their body becomes too frail to maintain the title because they've been at it for so long?

Luz

Smash Apprentice
You talk as though the players will continually be getting better and better faster than the 'young' players, but that's what was amazing about Melee, and hopefully the same about Brawl: the learning curve. It didn't take much time to get good, but to be pro took enormous amounts of effort and time, and when you were at Ken's level, there was hardly anything you could get better at, so any progress moved slowly. This way, the new players had an easier time getting into the tournament/pro scene.

Since this game appears similar to Melee, I will assume that Brawl has the same style of learning & gaming. Although there will be a stronger emphasis on mind games, which will make things more difficult for 'young' players, but there will be so many of them, they'll have the opportunity to train with people at their level, if they're dedicated enough to go out and get better.

Basically, suck it up. You'll only go far if you try.

Of course, having said so, I can't help but wonder if I have the necessary willpower to go through with it myself ^^;

imabeast78

Smash Apprentice
If half the people that talk about good these guys are put in the same amount of time and effort as the better players did then and only then should you be complaining LOL.

Are people not aloud to be good at games that sequels or trilogies to each other?

With that said stop typing and go work on your game son....... haha

Some of these dudes put ridiculous amounts of time to become that good so if you have it go for it.

BlackKnight76

Smash Apprentice
Being good at melee will probably translating to being good at Brawl, but the best melee players, top brawlers do not make (necessarily)

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
I think people interested in Brawl's tourney scene will see an impressive growth in people who played melee casually. Since they aren't reliant on ATs of melee, the fact that they've been removed wont hurt former casual players so much. They'll be able to understand the game mechanics quicker because of their experience (though it is still different) and perhaps become rivals with the top players.

Of course, I just described myself, so I coooould be a bit biased :p

Yoru

Smash Apprentice
Being good at melee will probably translating to being good at Brawl, but the best melee players, top brawlers do not make (necessarily)
I agree with the 2nd part, but the 1st isn't necessarily true. People who were extremely technical will lose a lot of their skill without l-canceling and etc. On the other hand, people with mind games will lose less skill.

Age has nothing to do with it. Talent, dedication and training has everything to do with it.
Exactly right dude. Which one more though, talent or hardwork? :laugh:
The world may never know... >_>

bluethree

Smash Journeyman
Exactly right dude. Which one more though, talent or hardwork? :laugh:
The world may never know... >_>
I don't know who originally said it, but I am reminded of the following quote:

"Hard work will beat talent if talent fails to work hard."

pesticide

Smash Lord
yea, i feel that if u train hard enough and know what you're doing (u need to know advanced techs most of the time to do good in tourneys) then u can get good at brawl without being good @ melee.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Even if you have no talent in an area, hard work has proven time-and-time-again to create greatness.

squarez

Smash Apprentice
How come you dont think that new people can learn the game and excel at it?

orintemple

Smash Lord
I was actually worried about this for a short time but then I remembered my psychology lessons.

Skill at anything goes up a constant amount then tapers of when the highest level is reached. It goes up EXTREMELY slowly from there on, allowing time for others behind to catch up. It happened in Melee too. Near the end of the Melee lifespan the top pros that we know were basically stretched to the end of their skill gain. There was not really any new trump cards to learn or massive skills to gain so then you started to see lesser pros come up to the top and the ladder start to move up. The Melee pros will probably be winning a lot in the early years but near the 4th+ year of Brawl I think we will see a lot of new faces popping up all over winning tournaments. It is not possible to be infinitely good at something. If you are dedicated enough you CAN become just as good as all those you praise.

Zek

Smash Ace
You act like the old pros just continue to get better without limit as time goes on. That's not really how it works. Somebody who spends one year training hard with Brawl could easily surpass someone that's been playing tournaments for a decade. Your skill only grows so far.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
This is completely wrong thinking. Who was most consistently at the top of Melee? Ken. Who was (and is) most consistently at the top of 64? Isai. Did Ken play 64? Not much competitively as far as I know. PC Chris and KoreanDJ? From what I hear, they didn't get the game until later (that's what I'm understanding from the interviews at least). They're some of the top in the US. PC Chris could be looked at as the current best.

Just because you didn't play Melee competitively doesn't mean that you can't work your way up in Brawl. You just have some catching up to do.

fishsticks

Smash Apprentice
Shanghai, China /// originally from Troy, MI
Age may matter (say, a 12-year old who tries to match up with a guy in his early 20s) but the main aspect you need to focus on is skill. If you develop it, you're good at whatever you try to do, be it Brawl or a sport.

Just look at the 9 year old GH kid. There's only a handful of people who are that good at the game, and pretty much all of them are college students or adults. Not him.

Top Bottom