• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Does The Mario-Sheik Matchup Look Like For Mario?

Number Three

Smash Cadet
I've been playing Mario since around the time the Wii U version came out. He's easily the worst of my mains mainly because I haven't put in nearly as much work with him as my other characters (primarily because he has such a low learning curve that I feel I should work on my characters with higher learning curves like Shulk and Palutena). However, since I've been looking for another character to use against Sheik, I was considering getting better with Mario if he fairs decently against her. In terms of my other characters, Ness looses to Sheik, Rosalina is my current Sheik counter (though I really would like to have another in case I get discouraged against a Sheik and want to switch), Shulk looses pretty bad and the Shield Art is the only thing that can save Shulk in this MU since Sheik's KO power is really lacking, Mewtwo is a complete joke to Sheik, and, for Palutena, she gets massacred without customs and still looses pretty badly even with them. What about Mario? Can Mario even come close to beating Sheik or does he get bodied like a huge portion of the cast?

Slam Jammington

Smash Rookie
The match-up in my opinion for Mario is playing a very balanced and patient neutral game and picking your spots to get close and rack up damage. Restraint is very key as it sometimes seems impossible to get in on sheik when she can shut down your approach with needles and the lightning fast f-air. But if you can get in and start racking up damage then the matchup gets a hell of a lot more even. I'd say if you know how to play Mario very well and study the matchup then yes Mario can compete with Sheik, and he has one of the better matchups against shiek comparatively with the rest of the cast. But i don't think he does any better than Ness (don't quote me on that) and if you feel more comfortable playing either him or Rosalina (one of the best matchups against sheik in the game) i'd say stick with those two.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Mario is notable for having one of the best matchups in the game against Sheik, although it's still unfavorable for him. I'd say they're about evenly matched at close-range because they both have very great frames on their attacks. Some of Sheik's combos are denied by Mario because of his frame 3 Super Jump Punch and frame neutral air. Sheik herself is rather susceptible to Mario's combos because of her high falling speed. You won't be edgeguarding Sheik easily because of her near uninterruptible recovery, which is a problem because Sheik can edgeguard you if you're not careful. You outright lose at long-range because her Needles go through your Fireballs, so be careful. You should be golden if you can get the first KO since Sheik has such a hard time finishing the stock, not to mention the Rage effect and Sheik's light weight making her very easy to KO. If you're looking for a Sheik counter, I suggest Lucario, otherwise, you have some work to do since Sheik is without a doubt Mario's worst matchup.

Last edited:

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
Watch this through 8:25:

Last edited:
Top Bottom