• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you use Diddy's popgun for?

WhiteCarnation

Smash Cadet
I usually use it if theres a chance I could do it without getting severely punished (which I usually do anyways when I use it haha) and sometimes I just spam it when people are recovering just to annoy them

it isnt super effective but it can be funny and can screw with people

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
I use it to turn around so I can toss bananas, and use it full charge in FFA and teams. Occasionally pop one off out of nowhere just for fun.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I use the peanut gun to get of some hits if a character is charging at me then either run or roll away from the opponent. If I can get two hits in that's good for 10% damage. It isn't much but the peanut gun is a great hit and run tactic. Not only that but it's a way to prevent doing stale moves.

Gnostic

Smash Rookie
It's quick damage if you spam it enough. There's really no punishment for spamming it every now and then. Against characters like Lucas it can actually prevent him from using PK Fire as it will cause him to flinch which will give you an opportunity to dash attack him or toss a banana at him.

Most players will shield when they see a peanut flying at them as well, even if the damage is minimal. This occasionally opens an opportunity to throw them.

The biggest issue with the peanut popgun is that people seem to think that it should be able to more then it does. It really is just another projectile which you can use to properly space you and your opponent. Have a banana that landed right in front of someone but didn't hit them? Fire a peanut at them, maybe they'll be stupid and roll dodge the peanut tripping over the banana. It happens.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
It's quick damage if you spam it enough. There's really no punishment for spamming it every now and then. Against characters like Lucas it can actually prevent him from using PK Fire as it will cause him to flinch which will give you an opportunity to dash attack him or toss a banana at him.

Most players will shield when they see a peanut flying at them as well, even if the damage is minimal. This occasionally opens an opportunity to throw them.

The biggest issue with the peanut popgun is that people seem to think that it should be able to more then it does. It really is just another projectile which you can use to properly space you and your opponent. Have a banana that landed right in front of someone but didn't hit them? Fire a peanut at them, maybe they'll be stupid and roll dodge the peanut tripping over the banana. It happens.
I like how you think outside the box. The peanut gun isn't suppose to be a powerful, knockout move, but one to get some slight damage and use for mind games.

One other thing I found it good for was in team battles. My friend plays as Samus and when he's charging up his gun I fire the peanuts as rapidly as possible. The peanuts are actually able to hold the opponents off from reaching Diddy and Samus. Samus is able to charge her gun quick; therefore I've helped my friend get ready to launch a powerful attack. (Hopefully for a KO.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Peanut Pistols= Diddy's spam.

I liekz to toss bananas, then hop behind them and spam. If they get close, I Monkey Flip them and yell, "SUCK MY KONG!"

Then I run to the other side and do it again. ^_^

Verify

Smash Rookie
it helps me line up my d air or fair when egde guarding, a lot of people will DI away from the peanut then eat the spike.

The |Egg| Sniper

Smash Apprentice
Surprising

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned on this thread....

One of the biggest advanages to the peanuts is it's ability to manipulate your foe's movement in the air. They may shrug off the peanuts as weak, no knockback projectiles. However, these little nuts can eat jumps with ease, leaving an opponent with limited options on recovery.

Also, spamming the peanuts, as stated before, is a good thing when taking on a charging opponent. It can interrupt moves, giving you a small frame of opportunity to counterattack. Suggestion? Grab and throw them away from you.

Finally, when spamming peanuts to interrupt moves, you may not interrupt their move if they time the attack right. However, they WILL grab the peanut out of the air, leaving their moves limited to either throwing the peanut or using a B move. When opponents don't realize what they have, they'll still attempt to execute their move normally, only to be surprised that they threw a peanut instead! Opportunity? Oh yeah.

Peanuts are underrated. However, they shouldn't be the top of Diddy's game, IMO.

Doc Chronic

Smash Ace
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned on this thread....

One of the biggest advanages to the peanuts is it's ability to manipulate your foe's movement in the air. They may shrug off the peanuts as weak, no knockback projectiles. However, these little nuts can eat jumps with ease, leaving an opponent with limited options on recovery.

Also, spamming the peanuts, as stated before, is a good thing when taking on a charging opponent. It can interrupt moves, giving you a small frame of opportunity to counterattack. Suggestion? Grab and throw them away from you.

Finally, when spamming peanuts to interrupt moves, you may not interrupt their move if they time the attack right. However, they WILL grab the peanut out of the air, leaving their moves limited to either throwing the peanut or using a B move. When opponents don't realize what they have, they'll still attempt to execute their move normally, only to be surprised that they threw a peanut instead! Opportunity? Oh yeah.

Peanuts are underrated. However, they shouldn't be the top of Diddy's game, IMO.
yea, gimping people's recoveries might be one of its best uses.

Gnostic

Smash Rookie
QFT. Pretty much sums up the topic.

Whether you like the peanut popgun or not, it can still be a valid part of any good Diddy player's game. You just has to learn how to incorporate it into your play style without potentially gimping yourself.

Da N

Smash Journeyman
The vacinity of the planet Earth. (California)
Mind games

If you use it in the air it completely stops you forward momentum and knocks you back a tiny bit, plus makes their approach a little predictable cus they either go under it or over it if they don't want to get hit. Then the peanuts that come out are a nice little touch too.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
edgeguard: Hit them with a peanut, fair/bair/dair. Its easy pickings if they get shot while coming back.

On stage: two bananas in your opponents direction, SH a few peanuts for a bit of damage before rushing in and using your bananas to take your opponent out. If the person approaches you while charging - just cancel and roll in the direction of the bananas you threw for instant protection.

The |Egg| Sniper

Smash Apprentice
Mind games

If you use it in the air it completely stops you forward momentum and knocks you back a tiny bit, plus makes their approach a little predictable cus they either go under it or over it if they don't want to get hit. Then the peanuts that come out are a nice little touch too.
Just remember that how far you get pushed back is based on how charged up it is.

saberhof

Smash Master
i use it for mind games allot, and for tricking opponents into other stuff....peanuts rule as much as bananas do...=D, its just another move to use =)

Top Bottom